Tulane vs. Richmond vs. George Mason

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

So...Tulane (w/ $25,000), Richmond (w/ $20,000), or GMU (in-state)?

Tulane
65%
Richmond
24%
GMU
12%

Total votes: 17

TheFailboat

Tulane vs. Richmond vs. George Mason

Postby TheFailboat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:37 pm

I got into Tulane with a $25k scholarship and Richmond with a $20k scholarship. Richmond's tuition is cheaper than Tulane's ($32,450 vs. $43,684), but Tulane seems to have a broader alumni network and better job placement. Plus, they're ranked higher, though apparently that doesn't make much difference out of the T14. I also got into George Mason with in-state tuition (around the range of $24,000), but the high COL in the DC area worries me--plus, there's the competitive pecking order in DC.

I don't intend on staying in Richmond in the long run, and that's where Richmond seems to do most of their placement - should I spring for Tulane, suck it up and take the better deal in Richmond, or battle it out on DC?

TheFailboat

Re: Tulane vs. Richmond vs. George Mason

Postby TheFailboat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:39 pm

I guess I should also mention that I plan on focusing on intellectual property, just in case that makes a difference.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:41 pm

None of these are very good options, but all things considered Tulane seems the best option. Are you ok with living in the deep South after finishing? Also, try to negotiate with Tulane if at all possible.

mighttransfer

Postby mighttransfer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:43 pm

I voted for Tulane, as it seems to be your best option. DC market is extremely competitive, and there is no reason to attend UR unless you'd want to stay in Richmond.

TheFailboat

Postby TheFailboat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:45 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:None of these are very good options, but all things considered Tulane seems the best option. Are you ok with living in the deep South after finishing? Also, try to negotiate with Tulane if at all possible.

Unfortunately they're the best I can do with my stats, I think. I actually hope to live further South than VA in the long run. The bad thing is that Tulane states pretty clearly that they don't budge with scholarships (though I'm not sure what they actually do when it comes down to it). I also got into Brooklyn Law with $$ and I'm waiting to hear back from Cardozo, but I've basically ruled out NYC (too much competition for where I'd be, too expensive, etc.)

mighttransfer

Postby mighttransfer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:52 pm

You should have applied to Wake and UGA.

MsWoo401

Postby MsWoo401 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:21 pm

I vote Tulane if you're ok staying in that general area when you graduate. Tulane is the better law school in New Orleans so that helps with competition, cost of living is going to be lower than DC, and it's just a great city all around. Tulane also carries a good reputation in the surrounding states so that could allow for more job options after graduation.

If I had gotten in to Tulane, I would have gone without hesitation. Good luck!

TheFailboat

Postby TheFailboat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:38 pm

MsWoo401 wrote:I vote Tulane if you're ok staying in that general area when you graduate. Tulane is the better law school in New Orleans so that helps with competition, cost of living is going to be lower than DC, and it's just a great city all around. Tulane also carries a good reputation in the surrounding states so that could allow for more job options after graduation.

If I had gotten in to Tulane, I would have gone without hesitation. Good luck!

Thanks! Do you happen to know if they budge with scholarships at all? I know they say it's non-negotiable, but you never know...

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:45 pm

TheFailboat wrote:I got into Tulane with a $25k scholarship and Richmond with a $20k scholarship. Richmond's tuition is cheaper than Tulane's ($32,450 vs. $43,684), but Tulane seems to have a broader alumni network and better job placement. Plus, they're ranked higher, though apparently that doesn't make much difference out of the T14. I also got into George Mason with in-state tuition (around the range of $24,000), but the high COL in the DC area worries me--plus, there's the competitive pecking order in DC.

I don't intend on staying in Richmond in the long run, and that's where Richmond seems to do most of their placement - should I spring for Tulane, suck it up and take the better deal in Richmond, or battle it out on DC?

Don't know if it makes a difference, but Richmond went up to $36,850 for next year (just got my seat deposit form). Also, if you're not planning on staying in the Richmond area, I'd be leaning towards Tulane. As far as GMU goes, I'm wary. You're definitely competing with GW and GULC in the DC market.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:49 am

abbottsbar wrote:You're definitely competing with GW and GULC in the DC market.

And Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, etc.

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:44 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
abbottsbar wrote:You're definitely competing with GW and GULC in the DC market.

And Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, etc.

TITCR. All things considered, if I were in your shoes I'd be gearing up for Bourbon Street.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:51 pm

None of these are all that great, but Tulane is clearly better than the other two.

Do you have an engineering/hard sciences background?

TheFailboat

Postby TheFailboat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:None of these are all that great, but Tulane is clearly better than the other two.

I have a weird background - I was an Art History major with a computer science minor. I have some freelance experience with web stuff, but far more experience in the arts and media world, so I was planning on focusing on copyrights and trademarks. However, I've heard pretty much everywhere that patents are where all the IP law jobs are nowadays. Now I'm kind of considering deferring law school and going back for a B.S. in science things.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:00 pm

TheFailboat wrote:
romothesavior wrote:None of these are all that great, but Tulane is clearly better than the other two.

I have a weird background - I was an Art History major with a computer science minor. I have some freelance experience with web stuff, but far more experience in the arts and media world, so I was planning on focusing on copyrights and trademarks. However, I've heard pretty much everywhere that patents are where all the IP law jobs are nowadays. Now I'm kind of considering deferring law school and going back for a B.S. in science things.

I think deferring law school is probably a good move. You don't even necessarily have to go back to school, but you could work and study for the LSAT. Or if you do go back for a more "hard sciencey" background, it could help for IP stuff. Law school will always be there, and it is a massive investment. You should do everything you can to set yourself up for success. Good luck OP.

TheFailboat

Postby TheFailboat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:
TheFailboat wrote:

I think deferring law school is probably a good move. You don't even necessarily have to go back to school, but you could work and study for the LSAT. Or if you do go back for a more "hard sciencey" background, it could help for IP stuff. Law school will always be there, and it is a massive investment. You should do everything you can to set yourself up for success. Good luck OP.

Just out of curiosity - you seem to be against going to a regional school that's far away from the applicant's native region (obsessive TLS lurker...I have no life anymore). Do you still think Tulane is a better choice than Richmond? I'm a Virginian.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:24 pm

TheFailboat wrote:Just out of curiosity - you seem to be against going to a regional school that's far away from the applicant's native region (obsessive TLS lurker...I have no life anymore). Do you still think Tulane is a better choice than Richmond? I'm a Virginian.

In that case, I'd lean more towards Richmond. But again, I don't think either one is a good choice at that price, and I think you could put yourself in a better position for a successful career by waiting and looking elsewhere. What are your numbers?

ETA: Never mind, I just looked. Your numbers are solid, but a few more LSAT points (the 167-170 range) could honestly change your entire career and life. I can attest to that because it happened to me with a retake.

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:
TheFailboat wrote:Just out of curiosity - you seem to be against going to a regional school that's far away from the applicant's native region (obsessive TLS lurker...I have no life anymore). Do you still think Tulane is a better choice than Richmond? I'm a Virginian.

In that case, I'd lean more towards Richmond. But again, I don't think either one is a good choice at that price, and I think you could put yourself in a better position for a successful career by waiting and looking elsewhere. What are your numbers?

ETA: Never mind, I just looked. Your numbers are solid, but a few more LSAT points (the 167-170 range) could honestly change your entire career and life. I can attest to that because it happened to me with a retake.

"I'm Ron Burgandy??"

I would agree with you in regards to Richmond, but OP has stated that they do not want to practice in Richmond after graduation and actually wants to venture south. It was with those paramaters in mind that I suggested Tulane over Richmond. If he/she wanted to stay in the Richmond region I would have suggeted staying close to home. .

TheFailboat

Postby TheFailboat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:34 pm

abbottsbar wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

"I'm Ron Burgandy??"

I would agree with you in regards to Richmond, but OP has stated that they do not want to practice in Richmond after graduation and actually wants to venture south. It was with those paramaters in mind that I suggested Tulane over Richmond. If he/she wanted to stay in the Richmond region I would have suggeted staying close to home. .

"Danjaaa zooone."

You're correct - I've been in Richmond for years and I'm hoping to move farther south. Maybe I should have applied to more places down south...

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:40 pm

Assuming you are going to law school in the fall, Tulane is indeed clearly the best option.

PM me if you have any questions about it.

TheFailboat

Postby TheFailboat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Assuming you are going to law school in the fall, Tulane is indeed clearly the best option.

PM me if you have any questions about it.

PM'd!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”