Initial Pick?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which law school?

UIUC
28%
George Mason
38%
Cardozo
34%

Total votes: 50

DaftAndDirect

Re: Initial Pick?

Postby DaftAndDirect » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Fair enough. I'm sorry to hear about your situation OP, it doesn't sound like you're holding many cards when it comes to dealing with your 'rents.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:31 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:Fair enough. I'm sorry to hear about your situation OP, it doesn't sound like you're holding many cards when it comes to dealing with your 'rents.

Thanks. My relationship with them has improved by leaps and bounds since the beginning of undergrad and it'll only get better. I just have to prove myself and earn their respect. It puts a ridiculous amount of pressure on me in law school, but it's fine as long as they don't start on my personal life (finding a husband...not like that distracts from school at all :roll: ).

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:33 pm

fltanglab wrote:
DaftAndDirect wrote:Fair enough. I'm sorry to hear about your situation OP, it doesn't sound like you're holding many cards when it comes to dealing with your 'rents.

Thanks. My relationship with them has improved by leaps and bounds since the beginning of undergrad and it'll only get better. I just have to prove myself and earn their respect. It puts a ridiculous amount of pressure on me in law school, but it's fine as long as they don't start on my personal life (finding a husband...not like that distracts from school at all :roll: ).

What happens when you aren't at the top? Odds are, you won't be. (Not a crack...just statistics.)

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:41 pm

Last edited by fltanglab on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:43 pm

fltanglab wrote:My parents yell at me a lot. I mean, there isn't much they can do except verbally tell me how awful I am. On the plus side, I believe I have a connection for post-grad employment so that's not an issue really (which I obtained through my own initiative). Maybe in three years they'll stop yelling though. I'm not sure. I can't predict the future.

You do know this isn't normal right?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:43 pm

fltanglab wrote:
blowhard wrote:
fltanglab wrote:

What happens when you aren't at the top? Odds are, you won't be. (Not a crack...just statistics.)

My parents yell at me a lot. I mean, there isn't much they can do except verbally tell me how awful I am. On the plus side, I believe I have a connection for post-grad employment so that's not an issue really (which I obtained through my own initiative). Maybe in three years they'll stop yelling though. I'm not sure. I can't predict the future.

I feel bad for you that your parents don't treat you like an adult. I hope I didn't sound like a dick before. Just honestly trying to help.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:45 pm

fltanglab wrote:My parents yell at me a lot. I mean, there isn't much they can do except verbally tell me how awful I am. On the plus side, I believe I have a connection for post-grad employment so that's not an issue really (which I obtained through my own initiative). Maybe in three years they'll stop yelling though. I'm not sure. I can't predict the future.

At at DC law firm doing IP? How solid is this connection? I've seen a lot of people with connections for post-grad employments find that they didn't actually get the job later.

Are you okay if you don't get a biglaw job in DC? DC law firms that are going to be doing IP litigation are fierce. Those are hard to get...Harvard students with decent grades strike out in DC all the time. From what I can tell, you really need to be nearly the top of your class, if not the top of your class, unless you go to a very top school(like UChicago), in which case you still need to be towards the top though maybe not the absolute top.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:47 pm

Tom Joad wrote:I feel bad for you that your parents don't treat you like an adult. I hope I didn't sound like a dick before. Just honestly trying to help.

It's fine. I understood that you were trying to help and if my situation were a little different and my parents were like those who value independence a little more, your advice would be perfect I think. Like I said, it will only get better. They're both a great resource and a great barrier for me. For a while they were trying to convince me to pursue an LLM...at least that battle's over haha.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:52 pm

this is a dumb discussion. people take free rides to wustl over t-14 all day long here. thats a good situation to be in.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Last edited by fltanglab on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:59 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:this is a dumb discussion. people take free rides to wustl over t-14 all day long here. thats a good situation to be in.

Parents money =/= free.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:02 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:this is a dumb discussion. people take free rides to wustl over t-14 all day long here. thats a good situation to be in.

Parents money =/= free.

+1 I'm not sure where that was going.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:10 pm

you're also not getting a "free" education when you take a scholarship. youre simultaneously taking the spot from someone else and probably raising every sticker-payer's rates...
but who cares? your parents demand that you go to law school now and are willing to foot the entire bill. the distinction between "free" and having parents who derive utility from funding your entire bill is not a big one. especially when that funding is contingent on you leaving the nest now

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:11 pm

fltanglab wrote:
It's a partner at a small firm who will actively help me find IP jobs through his connections in DC to other partners he knows. I'm not really sure how that happened to me; I just contacted him because our backgrounds were very similar and I had a strong interest in his work. From what I can tell, this area (the DMV) is all about who you know and that's the only way I'm getting a shot at the internship I just applied to for this coming summer (employers don't even look at resumes unless they're bumped from an internal source). I don't think he normally does this, so I'm probably some random exception (or just really lucky).

If I don't get biglaw in DC, I will likely try and work for him because I really like what he does (not IP) and he told me to give him a call if I would like to do it. Or I would go into the federal government or New York.

That connection sounds too weak to bank on, though you probably know better than me. I've just seen stronger connections than that fail. The problem is that his connections are going to get you a look you might not have otherwise, not the job itself, other than one with him. You said you're happy about working with him, in which case, if you're okay with that being your outcome, then sure go for it. However, if your grades and school rank are lacking, there's only so far it can go. Who you know is important, and it can go a long way, but there's a limit.

The federal government often expects years of work experience first. It's not actually uncommon for people to go D.C. biglaw-->fed govt. It's harder to get the fed. govt. straight out of law school than a fair number of biglaw jobs. New York is easier, but still iffy. At Fordham maybe 1/5 of people get biglaw? If you're interested in Fordham you might try PM'ing OperaSoprano. She loves it, but she also knows a lot about how hiring goes there, and can tell you about how tough it is.

Even if OP's parents are footing the bill, it's still a waste of money if she graduates without a job she wants to do. It makes no sense for her to sacrifice her career just because of parental pressure.

ETA: Further, having work experience goes a LONG WAY at OCI.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:14 pm

You really need to not let your parents' wants dictate your life, especially when they're actively counterproductive like this. Still, I realize that it's not that easy when money is on the line like it is here. Have you tried presenting it to your parents as a situation where law schools prefer accepting candidates that don't come straight from undergrad? It's only March; there's no reason to think you couldn't find some work experience. If you have connections like you say, you can probably find work as a paralegal somewhere. In this economy, you're not going to find work by cold mailing your resume off or using the student employment office, you have to hustle a little. And there's still plenty of time for that.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:21 pm

OP, have you thought about asking your connection to help you find a paralegal or legal secretary or any office-type job in the DC/North VA area? That way you wouldn't have to move home with your family and you could re-take the LSAT.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”