BC (Sticker) vs. Northeastern (Full Schol)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bne2103

BC (Sticker) vs. Northeastern (Full Schol)

Postby bne2103 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:14 am

This is really a general question about the whether it is worthwhile to pay full price to attend a school ranked in the 20s-40s versus taking a full ride at a school ranked in the 60s-80s. I'm asking about BC vs Northeastern because they are relevant to my current situation, but its the broader philosophy behind making this decision that I'd like input on. Thank you all so much in advance for any time spent helping me out here. -Ben

bceagles182

Re: BC (Sticker) vs. Northeastern (Full Schol)

Postby bceagles182 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:55 am

bne2103 wrote:This is really a general question about the whether it is worthwhile to pay full price to attend a school ranked in the 20s-40s versus taking a full ride at a school ranked in the 60s-80s. I'm asking about BC vs Northeastern because they are relevant to my current situation, but its the broader philosophy behind making this decision that I'd like input on. Thank you all so much in advance for any time spent helping me out here. -Ben

Full scholarship at Northeastern? I thought they pretty much always gave out 8.5k unless you end up in their public interest program.

The answer here depends on your goals. If you are interested in public interest, then the answer is Northeastern. If you want big law, I'd go w/BC at sticker because Northeastern has practically no big law presence due to its grading system.

Also, you can't make this generally about School A in the 20s at sticker vs. School B in the 60s w/full scholarship. The answer will always depend on location and career goals. Also, a tier 2 school in a state with fewer competing schools (e.g. Temple) will place better than a tier 2 in somewhere like NYC.

bne2103

Postby bne2103 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:41 am

bceagles182 wrote: Also, you can't make this generally about School A in the 20s at sticker vs. School B in the 60s w/full scholarship. The answer will always depend on location and career goals. Also, a tier 2 school in a state with fewer competing schools (e.g. Temple) will place better than a tier 2 in somewhere like NYC.

I see what you are saying, and that is a helpful point about competing schools. Let me ask this: Villanova with a full scholarship or American/UMD both with very little $? I don't really have a preference for living in either area.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:11 pm

bne2103 wrote:
bceagles182 wrote: Also, you can't make this generally about School A in the 20s at sticker vs. School B in the 60s w/full scholarship. The answer will always depend on location and career goals. Also, a tier 2 school in a state with fewer competing schools (e.g. Temple) will place better than a tier 2 in somewhere like NYC.

I see what you are saying, and that is a helpful point about competing schools. Let me ask this: Villanova with a full scholarship or American/UMD both with very little $? I don't really have a preference for living in either area.

Villanova because you should never be paying close to sticker at schools like American and UMD.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:46 pm

BC or retake.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:46 am

BC at sticker is very risky.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”