WUSTL vs. Michigan vs. T30 Midwest Schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I choose?

Michigan ($45k) = ~$165k debt
56%
WUSTL ($135k) = ~$65k debt
35%
UIUC ($90k) = ~$90k debt
2%
Iowa (Full w/ top 37.5% stip) = ~60k debt
2%
Ohio State (Full + Stipend) ~$45k debt
5%

Total votes: 102

johansantana21

Silver

Re: WUSTL vs. Michigan vs. T30 Midwest Schools

Post by johansantana21 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:52 am

beachbum wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:I'd like to change my vote after seeing the NLJ250 for Michigan.
It's one year of data, and a year where Michigan kids allegedly got screwed by Career Services, who was urging them to bid Chicago. It's fairly safe to say that, based on recent historical data, Michigan has about 2.5-3x the placement power of WUSTL.

WUSTL still makes the most sense for OP, though.
Yeah, I was only being half serious. With the amount of shit Cornell got as being a shit festering cesspool a few years ago, I want to give it to some Michigan students.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:01 am

johansantana21 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:I'd like to change my vote after seeing the NLJ250 for Michigan.
It's one year of data, and a year where Michigan kids allegedly got screwed by Career Services, who was urging them to bid Chicago. It's fairly safe to say that, based on recent historical data, Michigan has about 2.5-3x the placement power of WUSTL.

WUSTL still makes the most sense for OP, though.
Yeah, I was only being half serious. With the amount of shit Cornell got as being a shit festering cesspool a few years ago, I want to give it to some Michigan students.
Ha, fair enough. The weight that is often given to one year of data (or one USNWR ranking) around here is crazy. If any one of the T14 slips or does well, suddenly we have to completely rethink everything and have mind-numbing debates about which T14 groupings make sense now, and which schools are peers, and lol is Texas a T14 or should it really be T13 lol?

I need a beer.

punkyg0608

Bronze

Post by punkyg0608 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:13 am

Ok you've all helped me out a ton and I really appreciate it! I don't mean to hog the advice, but I do have one final question. Everyone seems to think Michigan and WUSTL should be my only two legitimate options, but I'm wondering about UIUC. If I could negotiate them up to a full tuition scholarship, should I consider them on a level playing field with WUSTL?

Pros: guaranteed tuition, would let me get away from STL for a bit, D-I sports (not real important, but damn I wish I had a team to cheer for)

Cons: WUSTL has STL as home market, and I could do better networking from WUSTL than UIUC. Also, UIUC's reputation in STL is probably not as good as WUSTL, plus UIUC ranking will likely drop.

What do you think? Should I try to negotiate, or just give up on UIUC?

Thanks again!

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:45 am

Negotiate with michigan for more aid. Michigan provides the most job flexibility after graduation. If after two years at Michigan you are homesick, do a third, visiting year at WUSTL. Your degree will still say "University of Michigan", right?

That full scholarship at WUSTL is also nothing to sneeze at. You could also go to WUSTL and save a lot of money. If you do extremely well as a 1L, you could consider transferring to Michigan, and might get more grant money as a 2L. But the transfer option should not guide your decision; if you go to a school, go with the mindset that you will spend at least two (likely three) years there. You could also study in your third year at Michigan on your aid package from WUSTL. This would allow you to at least have Michigan Law courses on your transcript and resume.

That said...I voted Michigan.

punkyg0608

Bronze

Post by punkyg0608 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:22 pm

PDaddy wrote:Negotiate with michigan for more aid. Michigan provides the most job flexibility after graduation. If after two years at Michigan you are homesick, do a third, visiting year at WUSTL. Your degree will still say "University of Michigan", right?

That full scholarship at WUSTL is also nothing to sneeze at. You could also go to WUSTL and save a lot of money. If you do extremely well as a 1L, you could consider transferring to Michigan, and might get more grant money as a 2L. But the transfer option should not guide your decision; if you go to a school, go with the mindset that you will spend at least two (likely three) years there. You could also study in your third year at Michigan on your aid package from WUSTL. This would allow you to at least have Michigan Law courses on your transcript and resume.

Oh, I'm not worried about being homesick! I would love to get out of St. Louis for a while, I just want to return after law school! Unfortunately I don't really have anything to leverage against Michigan. WUSTL is not a peer school, and I got WLed from my other T14 choices.

As far as transferring, I've heard it's extremely difficult. I feel like if I really want Michigan, I may as well just take it now with the guaranteed $45k. Also, you say that Michigan will give me more job flexibility, but this is something I've started to doubt. Wouldn't the huge debt force me into biglaw? I know Michigan's LRAP covers low-paying jobs, but then I'd have to keep that job for 10 years. My feeling is that Michigan would actually limit me more than WUSTL. WUSTL might give me connections in STL that would give me more options? Just a thought, I could easily be wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:42 pm

punkyg0608 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Negotiate with michigan for more aid. Michigan provides the most job flexibility after graduation. If after two years at Michigan you are homesick, do a third, visiting year at WUSTL. Your degree will still say "University of Michigan", right?

Oh, I'm not worried about being homesick! I would love to get out of St. Louis for a while, I just want to return after law school! Unfortunately I don't really have anything to leverage against Michigan. WUSTL is not a peer school, and I got WLed from my other T14 choices.

As far as transferring, I've heard it's extremely difficult. I feel like if I really want Michigan, I may as well just take it now with the guaranteed $45k. Also, you say that Michigan will give me more job flexibility, but this is something I've started to doubt. Wouldn't the huge debt force me into biglaw? I know Michigan's LRAP covers low-paying jobs, but then I'd have to keep that job for 10 years. My feeling is that Michigan would actually limit me more than WUSTL. WUSTL might give me connections in STL that would give me more options? Just a thought, I could easily be wrong.
Michigan's LRAP program is annual and you're allowed to move in and out as needed. So you don't need to stay in a low-paying job for any number of years.

--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”