Cornell v. Georgetown v. GW v. Duke... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which law school is best based on my criteria?

Cornell
22%
Duke
56%
GULC
13%
George Washington
No votes
Apply again in two years
10%

Total votes: 72

pop_tart_ninja

New

Cornell v. Georgetown v. GW v. Duke...

Post by pop_tart_ninja » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:00 pm

Hey guys,
I would just like some input in the stressful process of deciding on a law school. It seems that my opinions on these choices switch from week to week! The thing is, I'm doing Teach For America for two years, and may decide to just reapply to law school after! (But it would be nice to not have to worry about that for two years and focus on my work.)

These are the things that are important to me when picking out a law school:
1. Do they offer deferrals? (I think Duke is the only one that does not explicitly offer deferrals for TFA)
2. National reputation (this goes beyond the rankings)
3. Portability of Degree (I think I would eventually like to work in the South.)
4. Quality of Life
5. Cost? (I know I will end up with a ton of debt regardless of my choice though!)

So if there's anyone with stories about any of these Law Schools, please share! (I.e: is GULC a metropolitan nightmare or not, is Ithaca quaint/cesspool)

I greatly appreciate any input! (as long as it's based on some sort of logic/experience) Thank you!

EDIT: I have already been accepted to these schools, with no money from any of them yet! (Still waiting on financial aid information though!)
Last edited by pop_tart_ninja on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Cornell v. Georgetown v. GW v. Duke...

Post by rad lulz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

pop_tart_ninja

New

Post by pop_tart_ninja » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Yeah, I have been accepted to these schools. And have no other pending applications!

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:17 pm

pop_tart_ninja wrote:Yeah, I have been accepted to these schools. And have no other pending applications!

If you want to work in the South I don't believe any of those schools would be a better choice than Duke.

pop_tart_ninja

New

Post by pop_tart_ninja » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:19 pm

gaud wrote:
pop_tart_ninja wrote:Yeah, I have been accepted to these schools. And have no other pending applications!

If you want to work in the South I don't believe any of those schools would be a better choice than Duke.
How difficult would it be to get a job in the South coming out of Cornell though? (I pick Cornell because it's the furthest north.) I've seen the employment statistics for Cornell (only 6% in the South.) Is this due mainly to self-selection bias, or due to actual adversity towards placement?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Are you from the South (if so, where), do you have personal or professional ties to the South (if so, where), and where in the South do you want to work?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:22 pm

pop_tart_ninja wrote:
gaud wrote:

How difficult would it be to get a job in the South coming out of Cornell though? (I pick Cornell because it's the furthest north.) I've seen the employment statistics for Cornell (only 6% in the South.) Is this due mainly to self-selection bias, or due to actual adversity towards placement?
I'm not expert but I believe it would be possible to get the South from Cornell.. the low placement is probably from self-selection more than anything.. Why would you want to though? Cornell is going to cost much more than Duke and Duke will easily beat its placement in the South. Unless you have a reason to be drawn towards Cornell, I would stay away from it if you want the South.

EDIT: poor grammar

pop_tart_ninja

New

Post by pop_tart_ninja » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:25 pm

rad lulz wrote:Are you from the South (if so, where), do you have personal or professional ties to the South (if so, where), and where in the South do you want to work?
Yes, I'm from the South (Raleigh). I don't have a specific region in the South that I would like to work yet. The South thing is more of a feeling, who knows, maybe I'll learn to love New York. Having portability in the degree is more important to me than having a degree that's strong in the South.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:31 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cylon_clone

Bronze

Post by cylon_clone » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:53 pm

pop_tart_ninja wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Are you from the South (if so, where), do you have personal or professional ties to the South (if so, where), and where in the South do you want to work?
Yes, I'm from the South (Raleigh). I don't have a specific region in the South that I would like to work yet. The South thing is more of a feeling, who knows, maybe I'll learn to love New York. Having portability in the degree is more important to me than having a degree that's strong in the South.
uh, Raleigh - the one that's less than an hour from Duke? Duke - that school with strong placement in the South as well as good numbers in DC and NYC.

Unless you're just looking to get out of the South for a few years before returning, I don't see why you would choose any school besides Duke. Even then, Duke seems the smarter choice. I would think you might be able to negotiate some money by pitting school acceptances against each other. But currently, Cornell will be more expensive than Duke in terms of tuition and cost of living. Since you don't want to work in NYC, IMO, the benefit of going there is nullified when comparing it to other schools.

GULC's CoL way more than Duke.
Doesn't make sense to choose GW over GULC - same city, comparable price (barring negotiating $), less portability.

hookem7

Bronze

Post by hookem7 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:49 pm

This answer should seem obvious OP

pop_tart_ninja

New

Post by pop_tart_ninja » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Yeah I guess I was looking at it the wrong way. Thanks guys!

Though any further stories/experiences with each school would still be welcome!

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:33 am

pop_tart_ninja wrote:
gaud wrote:

I tend to think that any poor employment statistics for T14 schools placing in the South is due to self selection. Not trying to be offensive, but that's not exactly where most people want to end up/where most biglaw jobs are. That said, I know little...I do know quite a bit about Ithaca and DC having lived in both places and can assure you both are wonderful. If you like wine, I would especially recommend Cornell for its close proximity to the NY wine region. As the cliche goes, Ithaca is gorges.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:57 am

The Dookies, baby!

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Bronze

Post by Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Want to work in the South = Go to Duke. Best law school in the south by far.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:32 pm

I think it's between Cornell and Duke. They're both likely going to have more portability and stronger placement than either GW or GULC. As between the two I think a few questions might help clarify things: do you already have ties to the south and where in the south specifically?

Whether you pick Duke or Cornell will matter less if you already have ties to your preferred area. If you don't have ties, where in the south do you want to go (and why)? If Texas, I'd suggest UT over both (and Duke over Cornell). I'd also take Duke over Cornell for Georgia and the Carolinas. If you're talking Florida, on the other hand, I'd go to Cornell. I'd also factor in cost as a factor. And, of course, personal preference.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:49 pm

Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:Want to work in the South = Go to Duke. Best law school in the south by far.
UVA?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:43 pm

gaud wrote:

/Thread.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”