MSU$$ vs Drexel$ vs Villanova

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
acirilli1722

MSU$$ vs Drexel$ vs Villanova

Postby acirilli1722 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:13 pm

Pretty much have narrowed down my choices to a few schools. I am looking at Michigan State at half tuition with a chance to go to 3/4ths or full with 2.8 stip, Drexel with 10,00 off, and Villanova at sticker. Tuition would look like this:
MSU 17000
Drexel 27500
Villanova 37000

I am leaning towards msu with the cheapest tuition and much cheaper cost of living. I am waiting to hear if drexel will up their scholly amount or if nova could give me anything. I am from philly which is supposedly an insular market so that would help a little. I liked drexel when I visited and I know somebody who is a partner with a firm that co-ops with Drexel but spending 30 or 40K more over three years seams kinda iffy for an unknown school. Also like MSU's MBA reputation since I am considering a JD/MBA. So assuming no scholarship changes what's the advice. (Besides retake, already considering taking a year off and getting my CFA but assuming I don't)

Nelson

Re: MSU$$ vs Drexel$ vs Villanova

Postby Nelson » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:18 pm

Don't relocate for MSU if you want to come back to Philly. I wouldn't go to Villanova at anywhere close to sticker. Drexel is a bad idea at any price, don't even consider it. Temple in state? Probably a better option than these three.

acirilli1722

Postby acirilli1722 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:21 pm

Location isn't really a big deal for me I would live anywhere. Hockey country would be perfectly fine with me, just heard that being from philly helps with interviews since they want people who they think would stay.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:58 pm

acirilli1722 wrote:Location isn't really a big deal for me I would live anywhere. Hockey country would be perfectly fine with me, just heard that being from philly helps with interviews since they want people who they think would stay.

Being from Philly won't matter much. You'd have a tough enough time getting a foot job out of Temple or Villanova. Drexel's at the bottom of the Philly food chain.

acirilli1722

Postby acirilli1722 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:08 pm

I also have Pitt in state tuition (still close to 30k) and Drexel just increased the scholly lowering their tuition to about 22k

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:06 pm

acirilli1722 wrote:Location isn't really a big deal for me I would live anywhere. Hockey country would be perfectly fine with me, just heard that being from philly helps with interviews since they want people who they think would stay.

This is a terrible mindset. See generally http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=178938.

acirilli1722

Postby acirilli1722 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:37 am

romothesavior wrote:

This is a terrible mindset. See generally http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=178938.

I agree completely I guess that came out wrong on my end. I would prefer Philly seeing that I am from there, I just meant I am not concerned with being "stuck" in Michigan since it is a regional school, but the whole insular market thing is what scares me with MSU especially with my lack of ties. They send a handful of students back to the philly area every year but not enough to make me feel comfortable. Its just hard to ignore a cheaper price especially since my scholly might be raised to 3/4ths tuition with my last semester grades (still waiting on that). I do like Drexel despite all the hate it gets on here, I know a partner at a firm that co-ops with them and was told that beyond the top 10% job prospects should be similar to Temple and Nova, just trying to decide if it is worth an extra 20k after higher COL and slightly higher tuition.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:24 am

acirilli1722 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I agree completely I guess that came out wrong on my end. I would prefer Philly seeing that I am from there, I just meant I am not concerned with being "stuck" in Michigan since it is a regional school, but the whole insular market thing is what scares me with MSU especially with my lack of ties. They send a handful of students back to the philly area every year but not enough to make me feel comfortable. Its just hard to ignore a cheaper price especially since my scholly might be raised to 3/4ths tuition with my last semester grades (still waiting on that). I do like Drexel despite all the hate it gets on here, I know a partner at a firm that co-ops with them and was told that beyond the top 10% job prospects should be similar to Temple and Nova, just trying to decide if it is worth an extra 20k after higher COL and slightly higher tuition.

LOL i agree with romo.

Also, watch out for midwestern cities. It will be very tough to get a job from MSU. In cities like Detroit, Indy, STL, people really care about ties to the city. Often people talk about what high school or even middle school that you have went to. I heard it is even worse for small law firms. There are prenty of in state folks at MSU that want jobs in the metro Detroit area. MSU has no pull in any other market.

If I were you, I would retake and not go. If you still want to go I would go to temple...

Lastly, the JD mba idea is bad.... an MBA from MSU wouldn't help much. If you ignore our advice and continue on with an MBA, please don't focus on marketing. Focus on accounting. That way if you don't get a legal job ( which is very likely), you can fall back on accounting and that will actually keep your ass employed.

The only JD MBA combo worth it in the great state of Michshitgan would be with the school in ann arbor.
Last edited by thexfactor on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:31 am

Nelson wrote:Don't relocate for MSU if you want to come back to Philly. I wouldn't go to Villanova at anywhere close to sticker. Drexel is a bad idea at any price, don't even consider it. Temple in state? Probably a better option than these three.

None are good options. Got a friend at Drexel who is terrified as hell. Wishes he never went in the first place, but can't bear to drop out because he'll have big debt and no fancy piece of paper to hang on his bedroom wall. (I met him after he started, so I couldn't save him.) Retake or don't go.

acirilli1722

Postby acirilli1722 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:12 pm

thexfactor wrote:
acirilli1722 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

LOL i agree with romo.

Also, watch out for midwestern cities. It will be very tough to get a job from MSU. In cities like Detroit, Indy, STL, people really care about ties to the city. Often people talk about what high school or even middle school that you have went to. I heard it is even worse for small law firms. There are prenty of in state folks at MSU that want jobs in the metro Detroit area. MSU has no pull in any other market.

If I were you, I would retake and not go. If you still want to go I would go to temple...

Lastly, the JD mba idea is bad.... an MBA from MSU wouldn't help much. If you ignore our advice and continue on with an MBA, please don't focus on marketing. Focus on accounting. That way if you don't get a legal job ( which is very likely), you can fall back on accounting and that will actually keep your ass employed.

The only JD MBA combo worth it in the great state of Michshitgan would be with the school in ann arbor.

yea I am not big on the MBA thing, I would be more interested if they were one of the few offering a joint degree with MSF so I could take the CFAs but that was just a back up if I had the scholarship money for it since I don't want to pay for another year.

notstevedoocy

Postby notstevedoocy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Villanova is actually a very decent school for someone looking to break into the Philadelphia legal market. If I were you, I'd definitely wait two weeks to see where Drexel fits in the USWN rankings when they come out in two weeks. I turned down a full ride from them but you can bet your ass I did a ton of research (not to mention a campus visit and one-on-one with the dean) before I did.

There is a good chance they'll be ranked close to NOVA. In that case, definitely take the lower tuition. But whatever you do, stay the hell away from Michigan State.

acirilli1722

Postby acirilli1722 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:08 pm

notstevedoocy wrote:Villanova is actually a very decent school for someone looking to break into the Philadelphia legal market. If I were you, I'd definitely wait two weeks to see where Drexel fits in the USWN rankings when they come out in two weeks. I turned down a full ride from them but you can bet your ass I did a ton of research (not to mention a campus visit and one-on-one with the dean) before I did.

There is a good chance they'll be ranked close to NOVA. In that case, definitely take the lower tuition. But whatever you do, stay the hell away from Michigan State.

As interesting as the rankings are they won't carry real weight in my decision. I talked to a hiring partner i know and she said she likes drexel grads and would never pay 75k more for nova for relatively similar job prospects. So unless I can get Nova to throw me money which I doubt this late Drexel is looking better.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”