Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hofstra????
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:11 pm 

What is the perception of Hofstra Law School? Good place to go? Got accepted last week and was wondering if I should seriously consider.

Post subject: Re: Hofstra????
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm 

"[Hofstra] has a high tuition and limited job prospects for most of its graduates. In most cases, going to a more affordable state school might be the right decision. However, there are numerous academic opportunities for ambitious students that seek them out. For those who want to take a gamble and go for that big New York City paycheck, Hofstra might just be the perfect school. Just remember to work hard, pursue any leads that come your way, and keep a level head about your job prospects."

From Hofstra's TLS profile.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:27 pm 

Linsanity wrote:
What is the perception of Hofstra Law School? Good place to go? Got accepted last week and was wondering if I should seriously consider.

Not entirely sure, are you waiting on any other offers? Is Hofstra giving you money? You'll have to work on long island, no question, so I guess it comes down to what you want from your JD. Make sure that the debt you take on is worth what you'll be doing afterwards. If it's not, then I suggest you retake the lsat, get into a higher ranking school so that you can have a better chance at a better paying job.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:47 pm 

Linsanity wrote:

Chances for biglaw are very slim. Hope you can beat the odds like jeremy lin.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:00 pm 

It's one of the worst-regarded law schools in the country. It's one of 15 schools to be sued for misrepresenting employment figures. Unless you get a full scholarship and can live at home, have literally zero options for paid employment otherwise, and are 100% prepared to drop out if you do not retain your scholarship, do not attend this school.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:26 am 

Linsanity wrote:

Like timbs above me just said, it is a horrendous school. One of the very worst there is. It is a scam (see the pending lawsuit) and it is nowhere near worth the cost of attendance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:45 am 

As an attorney practicing in the NY area that did not attend a "top" law school, I can tell you that Hofstra is possibly the longest running joke in the New York legal community. Its objectively better than Pace and Touro (also dog-shit law schools), yet somehow, Hofstra remains a better punch line than either of those other shit-piles. The students are sub-par. The attorneys that graduate are mediocre. The bar pass rate fluctuates between "average" and absolutely pitiful to the one of the worst in New York State (depending on the year in question). This is all before you even get to the guido jokes, which trust me, if you are attending Hofstra, those jokes will become a way of life for you... I'll close this post by re-posting an old post of mine that followed the name change of Hofstra law school...

And its not even going to be "The Situation School of Law."

Hofstra Law will now be the Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University, or as I intend to call it, MAD LAW. Congratulations Hofstra. By renaming the LS after a person who did not even practice law and has made no significant contribution to the legal community you have once again remind us why no one takes your school seriously in or out of the NY area. Well done, as always. Touro may be a shit-pile, but at least it's namesake was a heavy-hitter in the legal community.

See: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

I can just see it now...

Paulie: Eh Tony, whatchodoin afta you graduate from Wagna (Wagner College for those of you that don't speak LI Guido)?
Tony: I fuckin killed my LSAT bro.. 158.. Goin to Mad Law in the fall.. I'll be slamin dime pieces at McHeebs after i get my study on (after GTL).
Paulie: Mad Law?
Tony: It used to be Hofstra Law, but the school was so tight they had to rename that shit... Average graduate makes like 2 million a year or some shit like that, so they had to change the name so people would know whats up..
Paulie: Oh word...
Tony: For realz son..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:02 am 

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:48 am 

OP: Stick with the basketball career.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:59 am 

It's shit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:15 am 

Its not that bad, but it is like most TT schools - if you are not in the top 5-10% of the class, you will likely not find a job in big to middle law. Most the students at Hofstra and other TT end up working at small, regional firms.

I think the one poster was right, you need to be comfortable working on long island. While the top of the class can work in NYC (I know a few with big law jobs there), being in the top of the class is very difficult.

You should visit the school if you are considering it. The city of Hempstead is not a nice place, but the campus and Garden City are very nice.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:11 pm 

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:05 pm 

rad lulz wrote:
sgoingIP wrote:
Most the students at Hofstra and other TT end up working at small, regional firms.

You forgot the very real spectre of looming unemployment or underemployment.

True story. And is should also be noted that long island law firms are notorious for underpaying their associates...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:27 pm 

rad lulz wrote:
sgoingIP wrote:
Most the students at Hofstra and other TT end up working at small, regional firms.

You forgot the very real spectre of looming unemployment or underemployment.

Yeah no kidding. I'll bet unemployment/doc review/paralegaling is a more prevalent outcome than small//midsized firm work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:03 pm 

What is a Hofstra? Is it anything like an eclair?