2013 Rankings

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thelawyler

Re: 2013 Rankings

Postby thelawyler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:06 am

bok92 wrote:Does anyone know the actual points separating H and S?

You guys are funny. I think in real life "rankings" H will always be #1.

The H-Bomb is unstoppable.

SpoonForkSpork

Postby SpoonForkSpork » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:08 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
bok92 wrote:Anyone have thoughts about Stanford passing Harvard? Another short-lived changed? Could lead to movements at Harvard to come back up? Kagan leaving?

Harvard's eliteness is forever, which is why they can afford to take cheap shots at it from time to time to sell their magazine.

It doesn't matter where they place Harvard. It's Harvard.

Harvard was 5th in 1990. Chicago was especially rigorous that year.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:10 am

minnbills wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:
minnbills wrote:Nah this is the beginning of Harvard's slide. It will join CCN and only stanford/yale will be truly "elite."

I've already started to refer to it as YS.............H.

Good first step but YS/HCCN is probably most appropriate.

Holy shit. The universe is changing.

YS | HCCN | PBV | MD | GC

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 am

Tanicius wrote:

Texas and Vanderbilt are dwarf planets, Yale is the sun haha

bok92

Postby bok92 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 am

Tanicius wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:
minnbills wrote:Nah this is the beginning of Harvard's slide. It will join CCN and only stanford/yale will be truly "elite."

Ha, let's not get ahead of ourselves. S and H have traded places or been tied numerous times in recent years.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:14 am

Tanicius wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:

you forgot northwestern. also you're dumb.

Jaymayne

Postby Jaymayne » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:15 am

Response to AZ State @ 26:

First, I go to ASU so I may be biased; however, I visited ~a half dozen schools last year. Some that currently/formerly ranked higher and others ranked lower that accepted me. I went back and forth for months. Rank alone should not be the basis for anyone's decision. These jump around every year, and you have to weigh more factors than what's on a resume. Your scores will get you into law school, but (often) little of that matters once you're in the door.

Think about what you want with a J.D. Go where you'll find that opportunity! 2 Selling points for me: (1) Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US and ASU is the best school in the region. i.e. Phoenix has jobs. You WILL primarily be recruited regionally with exception to the very top schools. Go to a state you could imagine living & working for a while. (2) #8 in writing is huge because that's how you'll be judged throughout your entire career.

I assume these things were accounted for in the rankings. I could go on, but I expected this jump. Here's the last entering class profile if you're curious: http://law.asu.edu/admissions/Admission ... ofile.aspx

Best of luck, and I hope you all make the right decision for you!

Postby 071816 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:19 am

Jaymayne wrote:Response to AZ State @ 26:

First, I go to ASU so I may be am biased; however, I visited ~a half dozen schools last year. Some that currently/formerly ranked higher and others ranked lower that accepted me. I went back and forth for months. Rank alone should not be the basis for anyone's decision. These jump around every year, and you have to weigh more factors than what's on a resume. Your scores will get you into law school, but (often) little of that matters once you're in the door.

Think about what you want with a J.D. Go where you'll find that opportunity! 2 Selling points for me: (1) Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US and ASU is the best school in the region. i.e. Phoenix has jobs. You WILL primarily be recruited regionally with exception to the very top schools. Go to a state you could imagine living & working for a while. (2) #8 in writing is huge because that's how you'll be judged throughout your entire career.

I assume these things were accounted for in the rankings. I could go on, but I expected this jump. Here's the last entering class profile if you're curious: http://law.asu.edu/admissions/Admission ... ofile.aspx

ftfy

omninode

Postby omninode » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:29 am

US News totally jumped the shark this year. I don't know how anyone can see such drastic shifts and think the rankings still have value. I mean, no offense to the University of Washington, but a jump from 30 to 20 in one year? I just don't buy it. That's just one example of the nonsense found throughout this list. They need to improve their methods or at least find a way to guarantee that all information reported by schools is accurate.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:30 am

minnbills wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:

Given the fact that there is a 4 point gap between Y and S, and only a 1 point gap between each of the SHCCN schools, Y/SHCCN is clearly more appropriate.

sumtimesuwonder

Postby sumtimesuwonder » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:31 am

Temple= ownership of philly? now 43 spots ahead of the other ones?

Jaymayne

Postby Jaymayne » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:31 am

chimp wrote:

First, I go to ASU so I may be am biased; however, I visited ~a half dozen schools last year. Some that currently/formerly ranked higher and others ranked lower that accepted me. I went back and forth for months. Rank alone should not be the basis for anyone's decision. These jump around every year, and you have to weigh more factors than what's on a resume. Your scores will get you into law school, but (often) little of that matters once you're in the door.

ftfy

"A negative judgment gives you more satisfaction than praise, provided it smacks of jealousy."

bok92

Postby bok92 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:32 am

Let me guess, Phil. Deposited at Yale? Thought so.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:33 am

sumtimesuwonder wrote:Temple= ownership of philly? now 43 spots ahead of the other ones?

UPenn.

Postby 071816 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:33 am

Jaymayne wrote:
chimp wrote:

ftfy

"A negative judgment gives you more satisfaction than praise, provided it smacks of jealousy."

u got me bro. i'm mad jelly.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:34 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Given the fact that there is a 4 point gap between Y and S, and only a 1 point gap between each of the SHCCN schools, Y/SHCCN is clearly more appropriate.

Fair. But SH need to split up.

Jaymayne

Postby Jaymayne » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:38 am

u got me bro. i'm mad jelly.[/quote]

lol touché

Jaymayne

Postby Jaymayne » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:39 am

chimp wrote:
Jaymayne wrote:
chimp wrote:

u got me bro. i'm mad jelly.

lol touché

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:42 am

Is ASU still accepting applications?

I got a good scholly in the T12, but if I could get a full ride to a T30 quickly on the rise it might be the smart decision.

Jaymayne

Postby Jaymayne » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:48 am

Tom Joad wrote:Is ASU still accepting applications?

I got a good scholly in the T12, but if I could get a full ride to a T30 quickly on the rise it might be the smart decision.

I'm almost positive they are. And if you're still sending out applications, don't be shy throwing your current scholarship out there when you talk to admissions. Schools will compete for you once you're in.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:49 am

Jaymayne wrote:

I'm almost positive they are. And if you're still sending out applications, don't be shy throwing your current scholarship out there when you talk to admissions. Schools will compete for you once you're in.

hahaha

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:53 am

Too much to read right now so sorry if this was already brought up but:

I was thinking about this and I think Michigan acceptance might get harder. They have one of the highest acceptance rates and slipped... if they blame the students, they might start getting tougher in admissions to regain their place.

What say ye?

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:55 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
Jaymayne wrote:

hahaha

This made me funny.

Eliyahu7

Postby Eliyahu7 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:00 am

I feel sorry for anyone who went to Texas because of ranked 14 last year...

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:05 am

Eliyahu7 wrote:I feel sorry for anyone who went to Texas because of ranked 14 last year...

I don't. They were idiots.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”