2013 Rankings Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
notstevedoocy

New

Re: Predicting 2013 Rankings

Post by notstevedoocy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:43 pm

stillwater wrote:Cooley's got to be up there. They've got a shitload of square footage.

Haha. This.

notstevedoocy

New

Post by notstevedoocy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:46 pm

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:
kapital98 wrote:Isn't this the first year UC-Irvine will be ranked? I'm guessing they'll be ~30th.

I'm going to throw out a completely arbitrary and unfounded guess and say Irvine (if ranked this year, idk) will be ~73 and admission numbers will fall off a cliff.
Where on earth do you even get that guess from? Irvine's stats put it easily in the top 50. 73 is going to be closer to Drexel's entrance.

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:58 pm

notstevedoocy wrote:
Adm.Doppleganger wrote:
I'm going to throw out a completely arbitrary and unfounded guess and say Irvine (if ranked this year, idk) will be ~73 and admission numbers will fall off a cliff.
Where on earth do you even get that guess from? Irvine's stats put it easily in the top 50. 73 is going to be closer to Drexel's entrance.
He was using a solid foundation of nonarbitrarily quantified factors.

I think an educated guess would actually put Irvine lower in ranking than its enrollment numbers support. Things like the two reputational factors and the secret factor of endowment would be lower than schools with similar numbers. Also, they wasted all their per student expenditures on scholarships early on and probably have a lot less due to the economy.

apropos

New

Post by apropos » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:38 pm

The Brainalist wrote:
notstevedoocy wrote:
Adm.Doppleganger wrote:
He was using a solid foundation of nonarbitrarily quantified factors.

I think an educated guess would actually put Irvine lower in ranking than its enrollment numbers support. Things like the two reputational factors and the secret factor of endowment would be lower than schools with similar numbers. Also, they wasted all their per student expenditures on scholarships early on and probably have a lot less due to the economy.
Look at the numbers. The US News methodology for 2012 was as follows:

40% Quality Assessment (25% peer; 15% judges)
-- The only good gauge we have for judges is Judicial Clerkship hiring, which was famously third to Yale and Stanford by percentage of students. Sure, it was a small UCI class, but this is a very positive sign.
-- We don't really have a good gauge for peer ratings. The only hint we sort of have is the poll Leiter took in 2010 (http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... r-all.html). This is not anywhere near conclusive, but there were also no factors biasing this in UCI's favor. Plus, this was in 2010. UCI's rep has only improved.

25% Selectivity
--Here we have good number to base this on, and UCI has the GPA/LSAT medians of schools in the high teens and low twenties. And UCI has a lower acceptance rate.

15% Resources (incl. Expenditures per student, faculty to student ratio, library resources.)
-- This is harder to determine. But, there have been a lot of donations from rich OC folk, the faculty to student ratio is among the best, the library, from what I've heard, is excellent. So there's not much here that spells trouble.

20% Employment
-- This is really the big unknown. There are too many factors determining employment for a given school, and while things obviously look positive at UCI right now, the class size is small enough that it might be under-supplying lawyers right now, making for positive numbers now until they start oversupplying when they hit a class of ~200. No one really knows, but for now employment looks good.

~73 is ridiculous, but that person admitted it was totally arbitrary. There is no reason to believe UCI won't be a top-tier school. Any debate from there should be on whether it will be top-20, top 30 or top-40 or whatever. There's not much to argue there, but I think that if things stay on trajectory at UCI, they will be somewhere between 16-35 the year they're ranked. I don't think it would be intellectually honest for any of us to make a claim to a narrower range. If they were ranked this year (they won't be), I'd throw in my guestimate at 18-22.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:18 pm

apropos wrote:Look at the numbers. The US News methodology for 2012 was as follows:

-- The only good gauge we have for judges is Judicial Clerkship hiring, which was famously third to Yale and Stanford by percentage of students. Sure, it was a small UCI class, but this is a very positive sign.
-- We don't really have a good gauge for peer ratings. The only hint we sort of have is the poll Leiter took in 2010 (http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... r-all.html). This is not anywhere near conclusive, but there were also no factors biasing this in UCI's favor. Plus, this was in 2010. UCI's rep has only improved.

This is a pretty tough thing to gauge - Leiter will probably positively affect the peer ratings (25%), but the remaining 15% of this score has a ~14% response rate, making this the biggest wildcard.

25% Selectivity
--Here we have good number to base this on, and UCI has the GPA/LSAT medians of schools in the high teens and low twenties. And UCI has a lower acceptance rate.

This ranking will be based off a future class, not that initial group. There is potential for them to drop the ball here, especially as guaranteed scholarships are no more, and they seem to be running pretty dry this cycle. That being said, if they can maintain their medians, then they're fine. I noticed their website does not show medians, though, only 25th and 75th percentiles.

15% Resources (incl. Expenditures per student, faculty to student ratio, library resources.)
-- This is harder to determine. But, there have been a lot of donations from rich OC folk, the faculty to student ratio is among the best, the library, from what I've heard, is excellent. So there's not much here that spells trouble.

10% is a pretty good portion of a ranking that we don't know about (regarding student expenditures). That being said, the student-faculty ratio will give them a boost, but it's only 3% of the total ranking.

20% Employment
-- This is really the big unknown. There are too many factors determining employment for a given school, and while things obviously look positive at UCI right now, the class size is small enough that it might be under-supplying lawyers right now, making for positive numbers now until they start oversupplying when they hit a class of ~200. No one really knows, but for now employment looks good.

I actually think this is the best thing going for them currently. That initial ranking will exclusively be based on that tiny first graduating class. They also made sure that group had 100% summer employment last summer. With ~59 students, this one's pretty easy. Same goes for bar passage (2% of ranking).

~73 is ridiculous, but that person admitted it was totally arbitrary. There is no reason to believe UCI won't be a top-tier school. Any debate from there should be on whether it will be top-20, top 30 or top-40 or whatever. There's not much to argue there, but I think that if things stay on trajectory at UCI, they will be somewhere between 16-35 the year they're ranked. I don't think it would be intellectually honest for any of us to make a claim to a narrower range. If they were ranked this year (they won't be), I'd throw in my guestimate at 18-22.
UCI seems to have a good grasp on gaming the USN rankings, but that 40% subjective portion is too huge a wildcard for there to be any narrow expectations at this time, high or low.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apropos

New

Post by apropos » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:25 pm

splitbrain wrote:
apropos wrote:Look at the numbers. The US News methodology for 2012 was as follows:

This is a pretty tough thing to gauge - Leiter will probably positively affect the peer ratings (25%), but the remaining 15% of this score has a ~14% response rate, making this the biggest wildcard.

25% Selectivity

This ranking will be based off a future class, not that initial group. There is potential for them to drop the ball here, especially as guaranteed scholarships are no more, and they seem to be running pretty dry this cycle. That being said, if they can maintain their medians, then they're fine. I noticed their website does not show medians, though, only 25th and 75th percentiles. That's true. It is known now, though, that the LS dean has a mandate (or was given permission) to only increase class sizes while maintaining student numbers. This is what they've done so far (only minor variations), and I see no reason why they wouldn't continue. They seem to be in no rush to get to the projected 200.

10% is a pretty good portion of a ranking that we don't know about (regarding student expenditures). That being said, the student-faculty ratio will give them a boost, but it's only 3% of the total ranking.

20% Employment

I actually think this is the best thing going for them currently. That initial ranking will exclusively be based on that tiny first graduating class. They also made sure that group had 100% summer employment last summer. With ~59 students, this one's pretty easy. Same goes for bar passage (2% of ranking).

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:03 pm

I think UCI is going to be top 40.
Is this the first year UCI will be ranked?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:10 pm

apropos wrote:We don't really have a good gauge for peer ratings. The only hint we sort of have is the poll Leiter took in 2010 (http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... r-all.html).
11 people voted for Indiana over Yale?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:22 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
apropos wrote:We don't really have a good gauge for peer ratings. The only hint we sort of have is the poll Leiter took in 2010 (http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... r-all.html).
welcometotheinternet.jpeg

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:24 pm

thexfactor wrote:I think UCI is going to be top 40.
Is this the first year UCI will be ranked?
Nah, one more year make that two more years - the newest rankings will be based off of the class of 2010's employment data. They'll need employment info for the class of 2012 9 months after graduation.
Tiago Splitter wrote:
17 voted for Brooklyn over Yale, haha. 35 FSU, etc.

I think TLS refers to that as "blatant ______ trolling" :lol:
Last edited by splitbrain on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:25 pm

bk187 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
welcometotheinternet.jpeg
Nevermind. I thought it was some kind of legit survey of people in the profession. Carry on.

apropos

New

Post by apropos » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:32 am

Yeah, again: of course that poll is not a very good gauge. It's just the only non-anecdotal gauge available as far as I know. Enough people responded such that the relatively small number of people who were obviously trying to get a particular school up a few spots were not successful, or only minorly successful. That's the great thing about large sample sizes.

And there is no reason to believe UCI was inflated.
Today I think they would be rated higher. Only good evidence and optimistic signs have come out of that place.

I've been following them a bit, and I think they'll fall between UCLA/USC and UCD/UCH. There are a lot of reasons to believe that and very few, if any, to put them below UCD/UCH.

At any rate, it's an interesting place and I'll be eager to see what they make of it.

jenkswarrior

New

Post by jenkswarrior » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:35 am

Why the predictions that berkeley will take such a big drop?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Probably starts with their 167 LSAT median.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:29 pm

apropos wrote:Yeah, again: of course that poll is not a very good gauge. It's just the only non-anecdotal gauge available as far as I know. Enough people responded such that the relatively small number of people who were obviously trying to get a particular school up a few spots were not successful, or only minorly successful. That's the great thing about large sample sizes.

And there is no reason to believe UCI was inflated.
Today I think they would be rated higher. Only good evidence and optimistic signs have come out of that place.

I've been following them a bit, and I think they'll fall between UCLA/USC and UCD/UCH. There are a lot of reasons to believe that and very few, if any, to put them below UCD/UCH.

At any rate, it's an interesting place and I'll be eager to see what they make of it.
You haven't taken statistics have you? It doesn't mean shit if it's a nonrandom sample. And it certainly doesn't mean shit if it's by laypeople.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:29 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Probably starts with their 167 LSAT median.
Uh, not really. Berkeley was tied with NYU a couple years ago despite having the lowest LSAT median of all T14s.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:38 pm

jenkswarrior wrote:Why the predictions that berkeley will take such a big drop?
lawyerwannabe wrote:Probably starts with their 167 LSAT median.
It directly answers why, every year, people predict a big drop in Berk's ranking. Nobody ever said that TLS predictions had any effect on reality.
Real Madrid wrote:Uh, not really. Berkeley was tied with NYU a couple years ago despite having the lowest LSAT median of all T14s.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:58 am

Not totally impossible for Berkeley to drop like that. It dropped to as low as 13 back in 2004.
http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... 00_present

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:00 am

The top-6 or so might remain largely the same, but after that...who knows? The middle of the T14 - MVPBND - is essentially musical chairs. I think the 2014 and 2015 rankings are going to be scary.

UCI will probably be top-30. I say somewhere between 25 and 30. Their prestigious faculty will inflate their "reputation" rankings (Chemerinsky alone will make UCI look like Duke to the voters), and we know the LSAT/GPA will help them. They will obviously have great faculty-student ratio and per student expenditures because the classes have been so small. UCI has a very low acceptance rate...lower than Yale's, right?

I would not be surprised if UCI supplanted U-Minn-GWU-WUSTL in the top-20 or made the top-25, but I think they will fall between 25 and 30.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:07 am

TheRedMamba wrote:
Guchster wrote:Chicago finally overtakes CLS
What has inspired this wave of chicago over cls predictions?
I have visited both Harvard and U-Chicago, and I understand why some scholars think it's the best law school in the country. According to USC's Susan Estrich, there are so-called "experts" - professors and legal scholars, who would rank Chicago over HYS CN.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:14 am

PDaddy wrote:
TheRedMamba wrote:
I have visited both Harvard and U-Chicago, and I understand why some scholars think it's the best law school in the country. According to USC's Susan Estrich, there are so-called "experts" - professors and legal scholars, who would rank Chicago over HYS CN.
She's probably referring to Leiter

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:27 am

Bronck wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
TheRedMamba wrote:

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:31 am

lawyerwannabe wrote:
Obviously Leiter, but I have spoken to a few judges who think the USNWR rankings are absolute garbage. Most say Harvard is the best, but some think Columbia is the best, while others say Stanford or Chicago. Yale and NYU are almost never mentioned. I have met about 50 of them over the years (a few of them federal), and not one has ever received one of the USNWR surveys. That's a bit odd.

Here's a ranking (and no...not a Chicago or anti-Yale troll):

1. Harvard
2. Chicago
2. Stanford
4. Columbia
5. Northwestern
5. NYU
5. Penn
5. Virginia
8. Yale
9. Michigan
10. Berkeley
12. Duke
13. Cornell
14. Texas
14. Vanderbilt
16. GULC
16. UCLA
18. USC
19. GWU
20. BU
21. WUSTL
22. N.D.
23. BC
24. Minnesota
25. UC-Davis
26. Emory
26. Fordham
26. UC-Irvine
29. Illinois
30. UC-Hastings
30. Iowa
30. Indiana
30. North Carolina
30. Ohio State
30. Tulane
30. Washington
30. Washington & Lee
30. William & Mary
30. Wisconsin
40. Wake Forest
41. Georgia
41. George Mason
43. Alabama
43. Arizona
43. BYU
43. Maryland
47. SMU
48. Utah
49. UConn
50. Baylor
50. Case Western
50. Cardozo
50. Florida
50. Houston
50. Miami
50. San Diego
57. Brooklyn
58. Seton Hall
59. Pittsburgh
60. Oregon

I just want to see a shakeup, and I like the way that looks. Yale shouldn't be #1 just because it can recruit the highest LSAT's and grades - and turn out clerks, politicians and law profs. The best law schools produce practicing lawyers.

Penn and Northwestern seem like grossly underrated law schools to me, because their graduates continue to get jobs! And yes, like many other TLSers, I believe GULC will be the first T14 school to drop out.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Eh the Yale name gives students the greatest opportunity to acquire the most difficult positions. They could easily dump a bunch of their class into NLJ firms if their class had such a bias.

sach1282

Bronze

Post by sach1282 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:15 pm

A lot of the rankings is essentially based on cumulative advantage. A school gets a name for being a "top" school, that school then attracts the best and brightest students, those students go out into the workforce and do incredible things, reinforcing the school's position on top. In my opinion, almost all of the variation between school outcomes can probably be explained by variations in the students rather than the school.

How a school got to be a "top" school in the first place varies from place to place, but once it's there, it's like fighting against an incumbent in Congress. Name recognition is just such a powerful for attracting students (or almost anything else).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”