UChicago vs. Penn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Chicago vs. Penn

Poll ended at Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:10 pm

Penn
28%
Chicago
72%

Total votes: 39

Jewel628

UChicago vs. Penn

Postby Jewel628 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi, everyone! Didn't think I would ever have to make this decision but I am SO lucky to have these choices! :mrgreen:

This is my situation . . .

I would like to work as a legislative lawyer when I graduate--which, of course, means I want to wind up in DC. I definitely do not see myself staying in the Midwest at all.

I love Penn's interdiscplinary options (particularly in social policy), legislative clinic, and its campus. I have not been to UChicago yet but I will be visiting for ASW. I do like its smaller class size but the whole quarter thing confuses me. . .

I am at a total loss . . . especially since my LSAT isn't high enough to warrant scholarships from these schools and will ultimately have to pay sticker at them.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :P
Last edited by Jewel628 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Re: UChicago vs. Penn

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:13 pm

You should realize that the type of position you're looking for is not a very likely one to obtain directly out of law school (unless you want to be a total grunt). However, the best way to get into a position like the one you described is to go to a well respected school and do very well. Chicago generally has a better reputation than Penn nationally, so you should probably go there if costs are equal.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:16 pm

Jewel628 wrote:Hi, everyone! Didn't think I would ever have to make this decision but I am SO lucky to have these choices! :mrgreen:

I would like to work as a legislative lawyer when I graduate--which, of course, means I want to wind up in DC. I definitely do not see myself staying in the Midwest at all.

I currently live in NJ/NY area.

I love Penn's interdiscplinary options (particularly in social policy), legislative clinic, and its campus. I have not been to UChicago yet but I will be visiting for ASW. I do like its smaller class size but the whole quarter thing confuses me. . .

I am at a total loss . . . especially since my LSAT isn't high enough to warrant scholarships from these schools and will ultimately have to pay sticker at them.

I find it very odd that you have the numbers for Chi but can't snag a scholly at Penn. Either way, all things being equal, the only good reason I could think of for passing up Chi is if you're absolutely certain you want to work in Philly.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:17 pm

1) I would check both schools to see whether they have a strong alumni presence on the Hill.

2) It sounds like you're interested in an interdisciplinary law education. Are you thinking about double-degreeing and getting a Master's along the way, or do you only want the opportunity to take some classes outside of the law school? To my knowledge, Chicago lets you take 4 classes outside of the law school during your time there.

Without knowing (1) or (2), I would generally say Chicago, as it has a better reputation among those who have JDs.

handsonthewheel

Postby handsonthewheel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:21 pm

I picked Chicago because it's ranked higher, has a smaller class and I perceive it to be slightly more "elite" in the minds of people.

However, it probably doesn't matter.

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:41 pm

Both at sticker Chicago. If you get any money at Penn I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Postby 062914123 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:42 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsdream

Postby lsdream » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:47 pm

Jewel628 wrote:Hi, everyone! Didn't think I would ever have to make this decision but I am SO lucky to have these choices! :mrgreen:

Scholly offers coming this week at UChicago and in March for Penn - you may receive some assistance. Good luck!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:26 pm

Tell Penn admissions that you were accepted to Chicago, then ask about scholarship money. If both are at sticker, then Chicago would be my choice. But, I'm not you & it isn't my choice so visit both, then decide. No wrong choice here, in my opinion, you just want to avoid buyer's remorse. Congratulations !

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:40 pm

Ah! You're having to make the choice that I was hoping to make. I'm into Penn (WL'd at Chicago), but in thinking about it, even if I get into Chicago off the wait list, I'm still going to pick Penn thanks to its interdisciplinary stuff. I'd try and leverage scholarship money from Penn and if you can, go there without a second thought. If you can't get any, I'd say Penn as it's closer to DC and you could, with some effort, commute to an internship in DC thanks to cheap transit fares . Plus, while Chicago may have a little bit better reputation you won't be freezing your butt off all the time in the winter. :D

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:48 pm

What is this "interdisciplinary" stuff that people keep talking about?

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:01 pm

Penn makes a big deal about being able to take a ton of courses outside the law school and, at least to us 0L's, makes it seem very easy to get a joint degree in something like business or public policy (they encourage it). Maybe U-Chicago has something similar, but that's what Penn really harps on, well, that and collegiality.
Last edited by justicefishy on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:05 pm

The quarter system at Chicago has advantages in that the first set of finals consists of only two exams & the traditional year-long law school courses that have been compacted into a single semester at many law schools can be taught over two quarters at Chicago. Plus nobody will ask for your opinion on the Joe Paterno scandal. :D

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:31 pm

justicefishy wrote:Penn makes a big deal about being able to take a ton of courses outside the law school and, at least to us 0L's, makes it seem very easy and encouraged to get a joint degree in something like business or public policy. Maybe U-Chicago has something similar?

I mean, I know that at UChicago it's very easy to take classes all around the university. I'm not sure what it's like at Penn. Maybe they really are very good in this regard, or maybe their admissions office is very good at advertising. For example, if you want to do interdisciplinary stuff, then you could your schedule could look something like this:

Econ
Fall: Price Theory I (co-taught by Nobel Prize winners Gary Becker and Kevin Murphy), Economic Analysis of The Law (taught by a law professor with a UChicago econ phd), Law & Econ Workshop (co-taught by a couple law profs with Harvard / UChicago econ phd degrees), and Population and the Economy (taught by Nobel Prize winner Robert Fogel).
Winter: Price Theory II (again with Becker and Murphy), Law & Econ workshop (extends over multiple quarters), Introduction to Empirical Microeconomic Research (with Freakonomics author Steven Levitt), and Monetary Economics (with Nobel Prize winner Bob Lucas).
Spring: Behavioral Law & Economics seminar, Law & Econ workshop, Topics in General Equilibrium, Default, Bankruptcy, and Applications (taught by an econ professor), and Research Seminar on the Quanitative Study of Inequality (taught by Nobel Prize winner James Heckman).

Public Policy / Political Science
Autumn: Health Law And Policy (taught at the Harris School of Public Policy), Law, Politics, Economics and the Making of the Modern Middle East (taught at Harris), Investment Management (a class open to Harris students and law students).
Winter: From Health Policy to Clinical Practice (taught at Harris), Decisions and Organizations (taught at Harris), Public Finance and Public Policy I (taught at Harris), Law and Politics: U.S. Courts as Political Institutions (open to law students and polisci grad students).
Spring: Mixed Methods Approaches to Policy Research (taught at Harris), Health Care and Health Care Reform (taught at Harris), American Law and the Rhetoric of Race (open to law students and polisci grad students).

And I could do more (with philosophy, business, etc.), but you get the idea. By the way, the schedules above are things that a student could actually be eligible for. The ability to do these sorts of things is understated because UChicago says that you can only take four classes or so outside of the law school. However, many courses are technically cross-listed between departments. So you could go over to the business school, the econ department, the divinity school, the public-policy school, the history department, etc and find classes that are technically listed as a LAW course—so you don't have to fill one of the four potential "non-law" courses.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:33 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
justicefishy wrote:Penn makes a big deal about being able to take a ton of courses outside the law school and, at least to us 0L's, makes it seem very easy and encouraged to get a joint degree in something like business or public policy. Maybe U-Chicago has something similar?

I mean, I know that at UChicago it's very easy to take classes all around the university. I'm not sure what it's like at Penn. Maybe they really are very good in this regard, or maybe their admissions office is very good at advertising. For example, if you want to do interdisciplinary stuff, then you could your schedule could look something like this:

Econ
Fall: Price Theory I (co-taught by Nobel Prize winners Gary Becker and Kevin Murphy), Economic Analysis of The Law (taught by a law professor with an econ phd), Law & Econ Workshop (co-taught by a couple law profs with Harvard / UChicago econ phd degrees), and Population and the Economy (taught by Nobel Prize winner Robert Fogel).
Winter: Price Theory II (again with Becker and Murphy), Law & Econ workshop (extends over multiple quarters), Introduction to Empirical Microeconomic Research (with Freakonomics author Steven Levitt), and Monetary Economics (with Nobel Prize winner Bob Lucas).
Spring: Behavioral Law & Economics seminar, Law & Econ workshop, Topics in General Equilibrium, Default, Bankruptcy, and Applications (taught by an econ professor), and Research Seminar on the Quanitative Study of Inequality (taught by Nobel Prize winner James Heckman).

Public Policy / Political Science
Autumn: Health Law And Policy (taught at the Harris School of Public Policy), Law, Politics, Economics and the Making of the Modern Middle East (taught at Harris), Investment Management (a class open to Harris students and law students).
Winter: From Health Policy to Clinical Practice (taught at Harris), Decisions and Organizations (taught at Harris), Public Finance and Public Policy I (taught at Harris), Law and Politics: U.S. Courts as Political Institutions (open to law students and polisci grad students).
Spring: Mixed Methods Approaches to Policy Research (taught at Harris), Health Care and Health Care Reform (taught at Harris), American Law and the Rhetoric of Race (open to law students and polisci grad students).

And I could do more (with philosophy, business, etc.), but you get the idea. By the way, the schedules above are things that a student could actually be eligible for. The ability to do these sorts of things is understated because UChicago says that you can only take four classes or so outside of the law school. However, many courses are technically cross-listed between departments. So you could go over to the business school, the econ department, the divinity school, the public-policy school, the history department, etc and find classes that are technically listed as a LAW course—so you don't have to fill one of the four potential "non-law" courses.

*looks left, looks right, writes another LOCI for Chicago* :D

Onthebrink

Postby Onthebrink » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:39 pm

I am in a similar position. Was nominated for the Levy Scholarship at Penn and just received admission to NYU and Chicago. The Quarter system would seem to make life easier, and yeah Penn....isn't as cold? haha Best of Luck.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”