UF vs. Stetson ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jc326
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:21 am

UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby jc326 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:07 pm

Not sure what my best option is here...

University of Florida no scholly vs. Stetson with $30k a year

I plan on practicing in Florida. Opinions?

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby benburns214 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:20 pm

jc326 wrote:Not sure what my best option is here...

University of Florida no scholly vs. Stetson with $30k a year

I plan on practicing in Florida. Opinions?


--ImageRemoved--

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby josh43299 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:21 pm

jc326 wrote:Not sure what my best option is here...

University of Florida no scholly vs. Stetson with $30k a year

I plan on practicing in Florida. Opinions?


Are you out of state? If so, can you get in state residency after the first year? What are the stips on the Stetson scholarship?

Geaux12
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby Geaux12 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:28 pm

jc326 wrote:Not sure what my best option is here...

University of Florida no scholly vs. Stetson with $30k a year

I plan on practicing in Florida. Opinions?


Stetson is very regional. If you can get good grades and have plenty of connections in St Pete/TB Area, then it might possibly be a legitimate alternative to UF. Maybe.

User avatar
beezy08
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby beezy08 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Geaux12 wrote:
jc326 wrote:Not sure what my best option is here...

University of Florida no scholly vs. Stetson with $30k a year

I plan on practicing in Florida. Opinions?


Stetson is very regional. If you can get good grades and have plenty of connections in St Pete/TB Area, then it might possibly be a legitimate alternative to UF. Maybe.


I would say +1 to what Geaux12 said only if it's free or pretty damn close. Otherwise, if you have in-state tuition then go to UF.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:43 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

jc326
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:21 am

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby jc326 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Yeah, sorry forgot to say I'm from florida. I have a few connections in the tampa area as well.

For the scholarship I just need to stay in the top 50%

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:11 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:14 pm

Agree that total COA is important. Without more information, Florida is the safer choice in terms of job placement.

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby josh43299 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:14 pm

jc326 wrote:Yeah, sorry forgot to say I'm from florida. I have a few connections in the tampa area as well.

For the scholarship I just need to stay in the top 50%


So you are in-state... Go to UF. Stetson should not even be an option, IMO. Their employment stats are absurd. Lawschooltransparency.com

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby Br3v » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:15 pm

Not an option.
Go UF.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:39 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

tigger22
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby tigger22 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:02 pm

josh43299 wrote:
jc326 wrote:Yeah, sorry forgot to say I'm from florida. I have a few connections in the tampa area as well.

For the scholarship I just need to stay in the top 50%


So you are in-state... Go to UF. Stetson should not even be an option, IMO. Their employment stats are absurd. Lawschooltransparency.com


They don't report their employment stats, where is it?

ilovetonyromo
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby ilovetonyromo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:28 pm

The obvious choice

Image

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12495
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby jessuf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:42 am

UF. $30k is not full tuition, plus cost of living is cheaper in Gainesville. Also, who knows what your ranking will be like, and if you're outside the top 5%, things will be TOUGH.

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby josh43299 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:49 am

tigger22 wrote:
josh43299 wrote:
jc326 wrote:Yeah, sorry forgot to say I'm from florida. I have a few connections in the tampa area as well.

For the scholarship I just need to stay in the top 50%


So you are in-state... Go to UF. Stetson should not even be an option, IMO. Their employment stats are absurd. Lawschooltransparency.com


They don't report their employment stats, where is it?


Go here: --LinkRemoved-- (you will have to copy and paste it in to your browser, I dont think you can link to that site from here for some reason.)

$47,750 - 25th percentile
$55,000 - Median
$92,000 - 75th Percentile

This would not necessarily be so scary if not for the horrible reporting rates. FWIW, the UF info isn't that great either...
Last edited by josh43299 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

SnowDude
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:27 am

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby SnowDude » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:21 am

This is a pretty easy choice. Florida isn't even all that expensive when compared to most law schools.

Go become a Gator, dude. :D

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby duckmoney » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:28 am

Unless Stetson is absolutely free, go to UF.

Or better yet, retake and go to Vandy / UVA / Duke.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:14 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Onthebrink
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby Onthebrink » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Unless you are positive that you want to be a trial attorney, go to UF.

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby benburns214 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 pm

duckmoney wrote:Unless Stetson is absolutely free, go to UF.

Or better yet, retake and go to Vandy / UVA / Duke.


Shit or better yet... since we are living in a hypothetical world where everyone does significantly better and bumps up to the 99% percentile when they retake, why not just "re-take" like every other person on here seems to recommend and get a 180!!! Then go to Yale with a full scholly!!!!! YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!

There, thats your only option.

Or, you can stay in reality and go to UF... which is what you should do.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby Nelson » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:35 pm

benburns214 wrote:
duckmoney wrote:Unless Stetson is absolutely free, go to UF.

Or better yet, retake and go to Vandy / UVA / Duke.


Shit or better yet... since we are living in a hypothetical world where everyone does significantly better and bumps up to the 99% percentile when they retake, why not just "re-take" like every other person on here seems to recommend and get a 180!!! Then go to Yale with a full scholly!!!!! YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!

There, thats your only option.

Or, you can stay in reality and go to UF... which is what you should do.

Retaking to the 170s, which is what most people need to crack the T14 assuming not awful grades, is much easier than trying to get a job out of UF or Stetson.

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby benburns214 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Nelson wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
duckmoney wrote:Unless Stetson is absolutely free, go to UF.

Or better yet, retake and go to Vandy / UVA / Duke.


Shit or better yet... since we are living in a hypothetical world where everyone does significantly better and bumps up to the 99% percentile when they retake, why not just "re-take" like every other person on here seems to recommend and get a 180!!! Then go to Yale with a full scholly!!!!! YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!

There, thats your only option.

Or, you can stay in reality and go to UF... which is what you should do.

Retaking to the 170s, which is what most people need to crack the T14 assuming not awful grades, is much easier than trying to get a job out of UF or Stetson.



Hahahahahaha!!!!!! talk out of your ass much? Stetson maybe.... but not UF

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby Nelson » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:44 pm

benburns214 wrote:
Nelson wrote:Retaking to the 170s, which is what most people need to crack the T14 assuming not awful grades, is much easier than trying to get a job out of UF or Stetson.

Hahahahahaha!!!!!! talk out of your ass much? Stetson maybe.... but not UF

Considering you get three chances and basically unlimited prep time to retake the LSAT, I'd retake, yeah. LST has only 46% of UF's class reporting salary for C/O 2009 with 13% reporting unemployment. You think the FL economy has improved since then? Paying six figures for UF is a terrible idea.

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: UF vs. Stetson ($$)

Postby benburns214 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:51 pm

Nelson wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
Nelson wrote:Retaking to the 170s, which is what most people need to crack the T14 assuming not awful grades, is much easier than trying to get a job out of UF or Stetson.

Hahahahahaha!!!!!! talk out of your ass much? Stetson maybe.... but not UF

Considering you get three chances and basically unlimited prep time to retake the LSAT, I'd retake, yeah. LST has only 46% of UF's class reporting salary for C/O 2009 with 13% reporting unemployment. You think the FL economy has improved since then? Paying six figures for UF is a terrible idea.


#1: Anyone with any statistical sense, or business sense for that matter, knows that LST is off base and rarely has accurate data.

#2: The florida economy HAS improved since 2008... drastically, as a matter of fact.

To the OP... please dont listen to 50% of the advise that is given on here. Its just a place for a bunch of 0L's to voice their opinion on stuff they dont understand... you can even choose to disregard my advise, i'd respect that decision. Ask someone who actually knows something about the legal profession for advise, and don't plan your future around some 0L who tells you to "RETAKE OR DONT GO" 500 times repeatedly.

This isnt 2008 anymore... we no longer have to be T-14 or bust. Retake only if you think you drastically underperformed, and go to school you can get into where you want to practice.


(aaaaand cue the hate responses lol)




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests