How much will your SO factor into your law school decision? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FlanAl

Silver

Re: How much will your SO factor into your law school decision?

Post by FlanAl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:39 pm

CattyPake wrote:I am most likely going to attend University of Minnesota instead of Cornell because of my SO. He's going to grad school and Minn is a MUCH better option for him than Cornell. Minn gave me $72,000 and I assume that by going to such a good school for his concentration, he would have the opportunity to earn more as well. Also, Minneapolis is a large city so we would be able to avoid the awkward gap between when I graduate and when he does. Also, I wouldn't have to relocate for summer positions. We did long distance for a couple years and it was not fun. Also, neither of us want to live in NYC.

I'm pretty sure this is the right choice but the emphasis that TLS places on the T14 does make me wish that there was a way Cornell could work for the both of us.
Anyone want to reassure me that I've decided rightly? :D
best school in its market, good scholarship and a solid support system I'd say you're making the right choice.

kakaa001

New

Post by kakaa001 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:38 pm

Crowing wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Crowing wrote:
Guchster wrote:Dood, srsly you're messing with her life and she's going to get pissed when she has to re-think next year cuz of you.
But I've told her specifically that I probably want to break up after undergrad. Are you saying she's not rational? Actually, don't answer that >.<
Why are you waiting until after undergrad?
We've lived together for the past two years and it would be a hassle for both of us to have to separate with just 3 months left on our lease. I mean, I suppose we could just be roommates but there's only one bedroom and it would be needlessly awkward. And before you ask, strangely enough it isn't needlessly awkward with us knowing that we're probably done in 3 months.
Does she really know that? I feel as though she probably thinks you're full of crap when you say that. Secretly, she's probably planning on marrying you. Three years?!

You're a jerk and break up with her now before she plans every detail of her life around you.

CattyPake

New

Post by CattyPake » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:20 pm

Last edited by CattyPake on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:16 pm

CattyPake wrote:Update on the law school decision: I recently got into Michigan, a school that my SO was accepted to as well. I'm pretty sure Michigan's going to be $ticker for me and going there will probably require some periods of long-distance for me and the SO but it's the best-ranked school for both of us and we won't have to live in snowy Minnesota for the rest of our lives (I don't mind but SO was less excited).

I'm visiting next week but I think the decision's Mich...hopefully the advantages will outweigh the hassle of finding housing in Ann Arbor/ possible periods of long distance/ and trying to end up in the same city after graduation!
Why long distance when both going to UMich?

CattyPake

New

Post by CattyPake » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Last edited by CattyPake on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sayornis

New

Post by sayornis » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 pm

My S/O didn't really factor into my decision. I guess my relationship (going on 2 years) is a lot shorter than that of some of the TLSers here.

I figured we would do long-dist for a while and see where it goes. He's going to be in DC this whole time while I'm deferring for the first two years (New York) then going to law school (Boston). We're both serious about our careers ... so I guess we'll be only doing weekend visits.

Will check back in 5 years for an update ;)

Beachbum89

Bronze

Post by Beachbum89 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:36 pm

aaaaa
Last edited by Beachbum89 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Guchster, your tar is awesome.

*I have nothing else to add to the thread b/c I came to LS without this issue haha*

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:19 am

My significant other will be factoring into my decision heavily. She has a tremendous career opportunity in Minneapolis, and it will require her to be there for 3-5 years. If it wasn't her I would probably retake my LSAT and try to crack CCN or scholly at T14 but as it is, I want her to have this career opportunity and taking potentially 5 years off is just too long for me to stomach. So since I have a decent scholly at UMN and since she'll be making good money, COL will be covered. So I'm not too worried about it. But I am a bit of a prestige whore and would love to say I went to *insert T14 here*. Oh well. What would you do?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:26 am

Jaeger wrote:My significant other will be factoring into my decision heavily. She has a tremendous career opportunity in Minneapolis, and it will require her to be there for 3-5 years. If it wasn't her I would probably retake my LSAT and try to crack CCN or scholly at T14 but as it is, I want her to have this career opportunity and taking potentially 5 years off is just too long for me to stomach. So since I have a decent scholly at UMN and since she'll be making good money, COL will be covered. So I'm not too worried about it. But I am a bit of a prestige whore and would love to say I went to *insert T14 here*. Oh well. What would you do?
Retake and get a near full ride at UMN?

superhands

New

Post by superhands » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:33 am

abbottsbar wrote:Assumption - from what I've heard, it would be a lifestyle choice. It would require you to be disciplined and organized if you lived that far away from campus. One of the attorneys I work with said that several of his friends commuted over 30 minutes to law school each day, arriving before their fist class, doing assignments during any downtime, and then commuting back in the evening. They treated it like a 7-6 job.

I have a thirty minute commute as well. After fist class, however, my anus is so sore that I can barely sit down for the thirty minute ride home.

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:12 am

kakaa001 wrote:
Crowing wrote:
We've lived together for the past two years and it would be a hassle for both of us to have to separate with just 3 months left on our lease. I mean, I suppose we could just be roommates but there's only one bedroom and it would be needlessly awkward. And before you ask, strangely enough it isn't needlessly awkward with us knowing that we're probably done in 3 months.
Does she really know that? I feel as though she probably thinks you're full of crap when you say that. Secretly, she's probably planning on marrying you. Three years?!

You're a jerk and break up with her now before she plans every detail of her life around you.

This was my thought. First you said she's willing and excited to move wherever you get into ,then you want to act like she knows it's over after UG. Why would she be excited to go wherever you get into LS at, then?

I'd say break up with her now, but you won't, since you just want to make sure you don't have to put any effort in to get laid till you go to LS. Boy, you're going to have quite a scene at some point down the road. Good luck with that.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:14 am

Drake014 wrote:
nah, stay with her and expand your horizons at the same time.

--ImageRemoved--
This picture is ruined by the fat girl in the red bra.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:17 am

shoeshine wrote: This picture is ruined by the fat girl in the red bra.
Shoeshine is back!

Taking bids on length of time before next self-ban...

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:36 am

shoeshine wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
nah, stay with her and expand your horizons at the same time.

--ImageRemoved--
This picture is ruined by the fat girl in the red bra.
Very true

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:47 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
shoeshine wrote: This picture is ruined by the fat girl in the red bra.
Very true
Wait... seriously? (A) She's cute, (B) she's not particularly fat, just not as skinny as the girls around her, and (C) one girl with a few extra pounds on her hourglass figure ruins the rest of it? You sure you're actually into women?

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:48 am

Last edited by Crowing on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hanman

New

Post by hanman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:58 pm

my husband works at davis, he has at least 1 year left on his contract. i would love to go to duke but the thought of long distance for 1L and possibly longer, has me considering Hastings (and hopefully Davis too if they ever read my application). its an incredibly hard decision because in the end, i will either be mad at myself for going to a lower-ranked school or he will be mad at me for going across the country. we've been married for 3+ years so the idea of dividing our stuff, one person keeping our pets etc ... is too much to think about.

organic muskrat

New

Post by organic muskrat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:44 pm

I don't particularly want to, but it is pragmatic for me to break up with my boyfriend when I start law school.

I will be moving to CA, and he (and his career and his substantive elderly parent responsibilities) are in the state we are presently in.

You've gotta make sacrifices to become a lonely professional! (ha ha cry)

tjddk

Bronze

Post by tjddk » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:56 pm

Last edited by tjddk on Fri May 25, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beachbum89

Bronze

Post by Beachbum89 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:24 pm

tjddk wrote:
Beachbum89 wrote:Having a tough time with this right now. I'll be starting law school in the fall and she's starting her masters and both of us have been accepted to a number of schools in Southern California. We kinda agreed we'd stay local but I got into a school in Norcal that I fell in love with when I visited a few weeks ago. My best option in Southern California right now is UCI (still waiting on USC) and I went to UCI for my undergrad so would kind of like a change. That school is UC Davis and it's pretty comparable to UCI I feel like so there's no real draw for it being a better school...I just really liked the area and campus when I visited. Anyway, she didn't react well when I brought up that I was really considering a law school in northern california. We did long distance over the summer and it didn't go so well so I understand why she's reluctant to be fully supportive of me. I feel like if we're at separate schools here in southern california it's not like we're going to see each other much anyway and I'd only be an hour flight away and we could have maybe two weekends a month together? We both plan on working in LA/OC/SD after we finish our degrees so staying down here would be desirable for that reason as well.

Any suggestions on a delicate way to slowly brace her for my decision in the event I choose to go to school in Northern California?
Was your long-distance summer norcal-socal or something farther apart?

I am likely moving from bay area (and boyfriend) to attend law school in socal. We're taking the "see how things go" approach, but I think what helps is that we're committed to doing whatever we can to make things work. Like you said, it's an hour-long flight and (more importantly) in the same time zone. Plus, not like she'd get to see you very much in you 1L year anyway, and sometimes, a little distance makes the lack of facetime a little easier to handle. Obviously, things may go awry, which is probably what your SO is worried about, especially if previous stints with long distance didn't work out. I think I would emphasize that it's temporary and will actually get easier each year (when you get the hang of things in law school/finish crazy 1L year; when she's also settled into a routine). Since the two of you are planning on staying in socal after school, I think it's fair to say you can be committed to each other while respectively pursuing what is best for you professionally for just a little while.

Best of luck with USC, though!
I was working in Northern California for the summer and she was out in DC. My job was pretty unique in that I was on the job all day and couldn't really call or text her until 9 or 10pm on the west coast which was pretty late for her in DC since she had work early everyday. It was hard but we made it work and she visited me on a day off about half-way through the summer. As much as I want to be close to my girlfriend and I really love what UCI is trying to do in terms of being a new kind of law school I just don't know if I can do another three years in Irvine. I loved Davis and it's really not that far if we're both disciplined to stay in touch and commit to having at least one or two weekends a month together. I just need to find a good way to continue to breach the subject with her over the next few weeks.

And thanks for the thoughts on USC. If I get in there it's definitely going to throw me for a loop.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tjddk

Bronze

Post by tjddk » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:52 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”