Baylor vs uga vs WM

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lvaughn714

Baylor vs uga vs WM

Postby Lvaughn714 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:59 pm

So I am from Texas. I have $ from all of these schools but with UGAs cheap tuition with easy residency it is the cheapest option. They all have pros and cons as far as facilities and location but I am just completely stumped. Should this decision just come down to where I want to practice? Or is there some other factor that is relevant that I'm missing...

To be honest even though I am from TX I don't really mind moving even permanently so deciding based on where I want to practice still is difficult...

Bronck

Re: Baylor vs uga vs WM

Postby Bronck » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:10 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:Should this decision just come down to where I want to practice?

Yes

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:29 pm

If there is no difference for you in terms of what programs, clinics, etc. there are, I would choose the cheapest (which for you seems to be UGA). Just remember that UGA is in Athens, not in Atlanta, so you might not get the edge that GSU or Emory students would get by having an externship or something in ATL during the semester. However, I still think that UGA has a decent pull in Atlanta, but I'm definately not an expert. Do you have time to make campus visits?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:31 pm

Georgia.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:36 pm

Not Baylor.

Lvaughn714

Postby Lvaughn714 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:26 pm

So I just got into Notre Dame which is where I went undergrad (graduated 09) unless my visit to uga knocks my socks off next week decision made. Anyone have string opinions against that?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:47 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:So I just got into Notre Dame which is where I went undergrad (graduated 09) unless my visit to uga knocks my socks off next week decision made. Anyone have string opinions against that?

How much is it gonna cost you?

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:50 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:So I just got into Notre Dame which is where I went undergrad (graduated 09) unless my visit to uga knocks my socks off next week decision made. Anyone have string opinions against that?

Nah... Notre Dame has semi-national reach. I almost went. If I were you, I'd take Georgia over Notre Dame if I wanted to work in the southeast. People know Notre Dame, but you're still going to have to do just as well there as you'd have to do at Georgia for the same opportunities. Might as well save $100k if you're not going to get a huge boost when it comes to finding jobs. If you want to work anywhere outside the southeast, then Notre Dame by a mile. If you like life down south, Georgia might be the move.

Good luck!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:53 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:55 pm

rad lulz wrote:
JustE wrote:

Nah... Notre Dame has semi-national reach. I almost went. If I were you, I'd take Georgia over Notre Dame if I wanted to work in the southeast. People know Notre Dame, but you're still going to have to do just as well there as you'd have to do at Georgia for the same opportunities. Might as well save $100k if you're not going to get a huge boost when it comes to finding jobs. If you want to work anywhere outside the southeast, then Notre Dame by a mile. If you like life down south, Georgia might be the move.

Good luck!

Georgia doesn't have "Southestern reach" into non-GA places you're not from. If you want to get to ATL, okay, but ATL is a slaughterhouse. Not being from GA, if OP doesn't get a job in Atlanta, he will likely run into trouble interviewing in smaller towns in GA. Not insurmountable, but the risk is there.

True, but I'd argue he'll have the same risk trying to take ND anywhere he's not from. I'd rather take that risk with $90k in debt. Going to ND, he's looking at $200k.

Oh, btw, Georgia will get you into NC, SC, TN, AL, MS. Not sure who's going there to practice, but grads do alright in surrounding states. It's going to be tough to get high-paying jobs anywhere outside the T-14, but compared to OP's other options, GA ain't that bad.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:02 pm

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:05 pm

rad lulz wrote:
JustE wrote:
True, but I'd argue he'll have the same risk trying to take ND anywhere he's not from. I'd rather take that risk with $90k in debt. Going to ND, he's looking at $200k.

Just for the record, I don't think ND is a good idea either. I don't think any of these is a particularly great idea. If I were OP, I'd retake and try to at least get into Houston/SMU with $$$.

Oh, btw, Georgia will get you into NC, SC, TN, AL, MS.

Ya, if you're from there or have significant ties there.

Agreed.

Lvaughn714

Postby Lvaughn714 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:14 pm

1. I'm a she
2. I did get into Houston with money and I wouldn't go to SMU or live in Dallas for free
3. I look at it this way, no matter where I go I'm most likely going to end up either in the closest major market to the school or back home in TX via personnel connections so essentially it's Atlanta Chicago or texas. I think ND would place better in general than Georgia including Texas.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:15 pm

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:22 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:1. I'm a she
2. I did get into Houston with money and I wouldn't go to SMU or live in Dallas for free
3. I look at it this way, no matter where I go I'm most likely going to end up either in the closest major market to the school or back home in TX via personnel connections so essentially it's Atlanta Chicago or texas. I think ND would place better in general than Georgia including Texas.

The problem with ND is that it has no "home market" where it dominates. You'd have to do extremely well there to get biglaw, but even then, that's limited by where you have ties. That means Atlanta is out, and Chicago to a large degree is also out. This leaves Texas. But since very few Texas firms even interview at ND, it'll be a huge uphill battle coming from ND since it's not a Texas school and it's not a school employers here would consider "better" than local schools.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:29 pm

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:49 pm

rad lulz wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
Lvaughn714 wrote:1. I'm a she

The problem with ND is that it has no "home market" where it dominates. You'd have to do extremely well there to get biglaw, but even then, that's limited by where you have ties. That means Atlanta is out, and Chicago to a large degree is also out. This leaves Texas. But since very few Texas firms even interview at ND, it'll be a huge uphill battle coming from ND since it's not a Texas school and it's not a school employers here would consider "better" than local schools.

As an example of the bold, there are a couple NDers around here with tip top grades who couldn't get Midwest firms to take em seriously, and thus struck out at OCI.

I'd have to agree. I'd take any of the other schools at a discount and in their home markets over ND at sticker. It's a great name, but it just might not get you as far as you think...

Lvaughn714

Postby Lvaughn714 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:54 pm

So you don't think people in Texas would consider ND better than Houston? This also discounts the ND alumni network which is massive and legit. For example I have corresponded with several ND alumnus who are lawyers who were happy to talk with me without knowing me before hand just by I went to ND undergrad...granted its not a job offer but it's just an example of their willingness to go above and beyond

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:56 pm

How much are these schools gonna cost you.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:03 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:So you don't think people in Texas would consider ND better than Houston? This also discounts the ND alumni network which is massive and legit. For example I have corresponded with several ND alumnus who are lawyers who were happy to talk with me without knowing me before hand just by I went to ND undergrad...granted its not a job offer but it's just an example of their willingness to go above and beyond

They might think it's a better school, but you're honestly going to have more access to those firms at Houston and your odds of landing a job are the SAME at both. You're going to have to do reeeaaaalllyy well at both schools. We're talking top 15-20% if not better.

Things are a little different in Texas since you have roots there, but not by much. If you're going to have the same job opportunities out of both schools and one will cost $100k less than the other it's a no brainer. How much are they costing you?

ETA: ND will allow you to have a little bit of geographic flexibility. If you do well there, you could take it to any city. If you do well at Houston, you might be stuck with biglaw in Houston.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:06 am

Lvaughn714 wrote:So you don't think people in Texas would consider ND better than Houston? This also discounts the ND alumni network which is massive and legit. For example I have corresponded with several ND alumnus who are lawyers who were happy to talk with me without knowing me before hand just by I went to ND undergrad...granted its not a job offer but it's just an example of their willingness to go above and beyond

I don't know how law firms think, but the fact that no Texas firms recruit at ND (and very few midwest firms with Texas offices have interviews at ND) is telling. I'm not saying it's impossible for someone at ND to get back to Texas, but the cards are heavily stacked against you.

Lvaughn714

Postby Lvaughn714 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:41 pm

So just to add some more variables to this...I just received a standing job offer from a practice here in Austin, regardless of where I go to school. But I was also told that going to Notre Dame or William and Mary won't shut me out of Texas but that going to South Texas or Baylor would probably limit me to Texas. So thanks for all the advice but I think I'm gonna go with the pro's on this one.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Did you draw these schools out of a hat? Go to school where you want to practice for a good price where you have pre-existing ties.

Also are you going to answer this question?

rad lulz wrote:How much are these schools gonna cost you.

eandy

Postby eandy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:29 pm

cutecarmel wrote:If there is no difference for you in terms of what programs, clinics, etc. there are, I would choose the cheapest (which for you seems to be UGA). Just remember that UGA is in Athens, not in Atlanta, so you might not get the edge that GSU or Emory students would get by having an externship or something in ATL during the semester. However, I still think that UGA has a decent pull in Atlanta, but I'm definately not an expert. Do you have time to make campus visits?

This is just plain wrong. MANY Georgia law students do Atlanta internships during the school year. It's a ninety minute drive but it can be done and is done.
For what it is worth, Texas firms came to OCI and hired students not even from Texas. It can be done. It just won't be easy.
If you want NC, SC, TN.. That's not really Georgia's thing. It can be done, but Career services won't have many listings, so you'll have to do all the work yourself, which is why ties are important.

That being said, if you go to UGA, accept you may not be able to get back to Texas post-graduation.

Lvaughn714

Postby Lvaughn714 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:11 am

romothesavior wrote:Did you draw these schools out of a hat? Go to school where you want to practice for a good price where you have pre-existing ties.

Also are you going to answer this question?

rad lulz wrote:How much are these schools gonna cost you.

I picked schools in areas where I have family and have spent some time there. Part of the point was to explore options outside of TX to get out of here.

ND $35k
WM $27k
Baylor $27k
UGA $34 then $17 with residency for 2L and 3L assuming no scholarship I just haven't heard yet

Also south tx and Houston are both upper 20s assuming no scholarship comes

Tuition only.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”