quinnipiac 35k/year

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
beachy

quinnipiac 35k/year

Postby beachy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:04 pm

I've been accepted to Quinnipiac with a 35 k/year scholarship as well as UMiami who said I should be receiving a scholarship offer in a few weeks. I have a 3.25/160 and have applied to other schools, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Is it worth it to go to QU? I keep seeing awful things written about it, but I don't know how much salt to take those opinions with. I have no interest in biglaw and will most likely end up in the public sector in public interest law. The money is not a big deal (Im currently a teacher in the South), but I do want a job in the law profession if Im going to spend my time getting the degree.

Any input is welcomed.

MellowMantis

Re: quinnipiac 35k/year

Postby MellowMantis » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:14 pm

I have the same scholarship offer from QU and am not sure about the school at all other than it's relatively isolated location. I have other acceptances from higher ranked schools, some with partial $ some without but the QU 35k offer is still in consideration as it is near full tuition.

Are you planning on going to the March 3rd open house? I plan on going to a tleast get a feel for the school. I would appreciate any input on the same topic as well.

LAFish

Postby LAFish » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Do you want to work in Connecticut? If not then Quinnipiac wouldn't be good for you. If so I would apply to UConn.

beachy

Postby beachy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:28 pm

No, Im not able to get away from my work (in Florida) to go. I was planning on visiting independently around my spring break which is the end of March. I hear the campus is beautiful and the people are nice, but its job prospects that worry me. Since I probably wont be making billions in public interest, I dont know if its worth incurring a huge debt for law school. It seems the school might break into tier 2 soon, but thats just speculation and not worth basing choices on. Let me know what you think when you do go, though. What other schools are you looking at?

LAFish: Im interested in staying in the Northeast or attempting to work for the govt (wherever they may take me). I've applied to UConn but no response yet. Is UConn substantially (ie 35k) better than QU?

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:55 pm

beachy wrote:I hear the campus is beautiful and the people are nice, but its job prospects that worry me. Since I probably wont be making billions in public interest, I dont know if its worth incurring a huge debt for law school. It seems the school might break into tier 2 soon, but thats just speculation and not worth basing choices on.

Ignore the tiers. Some TTT schools place better than TT schools simply because they have a more insulated market to feed their graduates into. You should be focusing solely on employment data. Does Quinnipiac even post their employment outcomes online? I browsed quickly and didn't see anything. If its not there, then you can essentially nix the school. Schools engage in shady practices like that when they have something to hide...namely a horde of newly-christened, unemployed young lawyers.

beachy wrote:LAFish: Im interested in staying in the Northeast or attempting to work for the govt (wherever they may take me). I've applied to UConn but no response yet. Is UConn substantially (ie 35k) better than QU?

UConn is substantially better for two major reasons: 1) its the flagship university of a small state, and 2) its much cheaper than QU (assuming you lose your scholarship). The former is important because Connecticut doesn't exactly have a booming legal industry. You may be thinking that's a good thing, but its not. The competition for the few open positions will probably be fiercer than it would be in a major city. UConn boasts a strong network of alumni support and its graduates receive the first scoop in terms of employment. QU fights for scraps. The latter of the two reasons above is important because QU, like many private TTT law schools, likely engages in section stacking. That means you're nearly assured to lose some, if not all, of your scholarship money. They do this so that they can afford to give out scholarships to the next incoming class.

If you had strong connections in Connecticut's legal industry, Quinnipiac might be more palatable (assuming UConn rejected you). However, it sounds like you're in Florida and plan to move to the area. Don't do it.

LAFish

Postby LAFish » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:01 pm

beachy wrote:LAFish: Im interested in staying in the Northeast or attempting to work for the govt (wherever they may take me). I've applied to UConn but no response yet. Is UConn substantially (ie 35k) better than QU?

For full disclosure, as of right now I am planning on attending UConn with a scholarship. In my opinion, going to any school in this range is extremely risky. At UConn you can get in-state for your second and third years, which is just a little over 21k/year. I'd imagine that your QU scholly has a stipulation on it, and if you lost it I would imagine it would end up costing you a boatload. Whether UConn is worth x dollars more than QU is something only you can decide. Also, UConn campus is gorgeous... I visited a couple of days ago and it's very pretty. Here are some pics I found through Google: http://travel.webshots.com/album/114936 ... FC?start=0

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I'll try to answer some of them.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:07 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”