T-14 Back to The West Coast Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bdubs

Gold

Re: T-14 Back to The West Coast

Post by bdubs » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:35 am

I'm from the Seattle suburbs but didn't stick around for undergrad. I get the sense that SA positions are really limited in the Seattle and Portland markets. You've got Perkins, Stoel, DWT, and a handful of CA firms with small offices (Cooley, Fenwick, WSGR). All-in-all there are probably only 50 or so SA spots in the whole city. It's a really hard place to find a job.

I sent some applications/feelers out and got very little back. Compare that with Chicago where I got multiple interviews and offers as a 1L without any ties other than school and a family relation in the city.

Portland is worse.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:13 am

I'm at Michigan and know a lot of people (10 at least, and I don't know THAT many people here) from the West Coast who are SA'ing there next summer.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:27 am

I'll echo the strength of the Midwest. A number of Chicago and Michigan students will be at my West Coast firm this summer.

Hjones33

Bronze

Post by Hjones33 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:28 am

Very interesting. Seems like Michigan does pretty good on the West Coast, thanks everyone on the info. Someone also messaged me that he has gotten multiple offers from Cali firms from Virginia. Does anyone know about Cornell? It seems like the sentiment is they are pretty much a NYC feeder but didn't know if anyone had other on them, especially in relation to PI/gov.

Thanks again everyone. It seems like Michigan is a good school if someone wants to come back to the west coast of the MVP DCNG group.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”