WUSTL($$) v. Illinois($) v. BC v. GWU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

WUSTL($$) v. Illinois($) v. BC v. GWU

WUSTL($$)
65%
Illinois($)
22%
BC
11%
GWU
2%

Total votes: 54

flyingduck

New

WUSTL($$) v. Illinois($) v. BC v. GWU

Post by flyingduck » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:48 pm

I've done my share of searching before posting this but if there are any threads similar, then please just link me to them. Thanks. I'll keep it short.

-I'm stuck between these schools at the moment.
-The only scholarship info I've got so far is from WUSTL (25k/yr) and Illinois (10k/yr+in-state tuition)
-I want to practice within Illinois, preferably in Chicago. I'm open to NYC and DC markets but I don't really care much for them.
-I'm shooting for biglaw but midlaw is also an option.
-I prefer a collegial atmosphere, safe environments, and being within walking/biking/short bus/train ride distance of the school.
-I'm looking into IP and business law

Because of my regional preference, I am leaning towards Illinois and WUSTL. Unfortunately, I've been reading about how the Chicago market is terrible right now and I am more worried about landing a solid job offer than getting NLJ250 biglaw. Any thoughts?

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: WUSTL($$) v. Illinois($) v. BC v. GWU

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:52 pm

I have a similar background and was in a similar situation two years ago and chose WUSTL. I don't regret it at all, but it is a risky choice if you are set on Chicago. I would just say don't be too locked into Illinois, and specifically Chicago. Consider other Midwestern markets like St. Louis, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Detroit, Ohio, etc. and even small/mid-size firms in downstate Illinois. If you are deadset on Chicago, I would recommend retaking and reapplying, because anything short of the T14 is a hell of a fight for that market..

If you want to PM me, I will share more personal information and answer any questions you might have.

ETA: As far as a collegial atmosphere and being able to live close to campus/public transit, WUSTL is a good choice. I took the bus to school all 1L year, and just about any student you ask here will rave about the environment. St. Louis is hit or miss, but its a fun place to spend three years. The people are really what make the experience.

You say IP... do you have an IP background?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:I have a similar background and was in a similar situation two years ago and chose WUSTL. I don't regret it at all, but it is a risky choice if you are set on Chicago. I would just say don't be too locked into Illinois, and specifically Chicago. Consider other Midwestern markets like St. Louis, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Detroit, Ohio, etc. and even small/mid-size firms in downstate Illinois. If you are deadset on Chicago, I would recommend retaking and reapplying, because anything short of the T14 is a hell of a fight for that market..

If you want to PM me, I will share more personal information and answer any questions you might have.

ETA: As far as a collegial atmosphere and being able to live close to campus/public transit, WUSTL is a good choice. I took the bus to school all 1L year, and just about any student you ask here will rave about the environment. St. Louis is hit or miss, but its a fun place to spend three years. The people are really what make the experience.

You say IP... do you have an IP background?
Having just attended the WUSTL ASD, I can affirm that WUSTL students are awesome and the campus area is pretty cool.

From what information I've picked up, Illinois may be the better choice if you have a compelling reason to be 100% set on Chicago. If you're willing to consider other midwestern markets, WUSTL would probably be the better choice. (You could always lateral or exit out to the Chicago market, no?)

If I were you, I'd probably choose WUSTL because you'd have more employment options overall.

allamerican73

New

Post by allamerican73 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:18 pm

As an Illinois grad, I can say great things about the law school especially in light of your criteria:

1. Midwestern college town with plenty to do;
2. 10 minute commute to the law school from just about anywhere you would want to live;
3. Top-notch and accessible professors;
4. Small classes and collegial classmates; and
5. Good reputation and fantastic pipeline to Chicago firms.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices, but don't underestimate Illinois. You should probably visit at least
Illinois and WUSTL to see which is a better fit for you. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:31 am

It sounds like WUSTL is the clear choice, especially as the scholarship is the biggest there as well. Don't go to BU/BC/GW if you want the midwest.

flyingduck

New

Post by flyingduck » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:21 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I was leaning towards WUSTL right now, but it bothers me that BC has better biglaw placement. I'm just hesitant that the Chicago/Illinois market will be a bust and BC would've been a better choice.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:31 pm

If you want to practice in Illinois, then you're fortunate that the two most appropriate law schools among your options offer the lowest cost-of-attendance.

The cities of Chicago & Boston are quite different, in my opinion. If you love Chicago & the state of Illinois, then you are focusing on the correct schools. There is no easy answer between Illinois & WashUStL in your situation. Visit both, then decide.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”