Wake Forest v. Richmond

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mighttransfer

Re: Wake Forest v. Richmond

Postby mighttransfer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:20 pm

rad lulz wrote:
mighttransfer wrote:compared to many many schools. Richmond cost of living is very low--you can find extremely cheap housing. and tuition at sticker (34k?) isn't horrible.

34k? For some regional school that plays second fiddle to some bigger/better names in VA. Yes, it's terrible.

Tuition at sticker for relevant VA law schools (i.e., those to which UR "plays second fiddle" as you claim):
1. UVA--49.6K for non-residents of VA
2. WM--36.2K for non-residents of VA
3. W&L--40.8K
4. UR--36.8K

As you can see, UR's sticker price is not "terrible" when compared to those schools with which it directly competes. Perhaps your subjective estimation of what is "terrible" is different than mine. But I would hardly use that word to describe the cost of attending UR. As I see it, the school is perhaps slightly over-priced (indeed it is roughly the same price as WM, which is a superior school), but the price is far short of being "terrible." I would deem the price of NYLS at 46.2K to be "terrible," considering that such price is essentially the same as those of NYU and Columbia, but with extremely poor employment prospects. At bottom, my point is just that the UR sticker price isn't ridiculous. Perhaps I overstated that in my original post. Nonetheless, my ultimate point--that you should attend UR over Wake if you want to practice in VA--still holds true.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamesChapman23

Postby JamesChapman23 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:26 pm

mighttransfer wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
mighttransfer wrote:compared to many many schools. Richmond cost of living is very low--you can find extremely cheap housing. and tuition at sticker (34k?) isn't horrible.

34k? For some regional school that plays second fiddle to some bigger/better names in VA. Yes, it's terrible.

Tuition at sticker for relevant VA law schools (i.e., those to which UR "plays second fiddle" as you claim):
1. UVA--49.6K for non-residents of VA
2. WM--36.2K for non-residents of VA
3. W&L--40.8K
4. UR--36.8K

As you can see, UR's sticker price is not "terrible" when compared to those schools with which it directly competes. Perhaps your subjective estimation of what is "terrible" is different than mine. But I would hardly use that word to describe the cost of attending UR. As I see it, the school is perhaps slightly over-priced (indeed it is roughly the same price as WM, which is a superior school), but the price is far short of being "terrible." I would deem the price of NYLS at 46.2K to be "terrible," considering that such price is essentially the same as those of NYU and Columbia, but with extremely poor employment prospects. At bottom, my point is just that the UR sticker price isn't ridiculous. Perhaps I overstated that in my original post. Nonetheless, my ultimate point--that you should attend UR over Wake if you want to practice in VA--still holds true.

Your chances of unemployed are also substantially higher. If you are in default of your loans, it doesnt matter if you are 100k in debt or 150k in debt. You are finished financially.

mighttransfer

Postby mighttransfer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:29 pm

Also, talking about UR sticker price in this thread is beside the point since OP has a 15k scholly, which brings his/her annual tuition down to 21K. 21K at UR over Wake's 39.1K sticker price seems like a solid move. This is because the gap b/t Wake and UR is not so substantial that it justifies spending the extra 18K per year at Wake. Ultimately, UR and Wake are peer schools that place well in their respective markets, but both directly compete against superior law schools.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:31 pm

mighttransfer

Postby mighttransfer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:36 pm

rad lulz wrote:Just because it's fairly commensurate with those other schools doesn't mean the price is not ridiculous.

Haha again this depends on your subjective determination of what constitute's "ridiculous." To me, UR's price is a fairly accurate representation of what you get--solid regional employment opportunities. If anything, I'd argue that W&L's price is "ridiculous." We are ultimately arguing semantics, and this discussion is unproductive for purposes of OP's decision. He/she would not be paying sticker at UR, so UR's sticker price is irrelevant. Wake's sticker price, however, is relevant.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:43 pm

mighttransfer

Postby mighttransfer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:52 pm

rad lulz wrote:
mighttransfer wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Just because it's fairly commensurate with those other schools doesn't mean the price is not ridiculous.

Haha again this depends on your subjective determination of what constitute's "ridiculous." To me, UR's price is a fairly accurate representation of what you get--solid regional employment opportunities. If anything, I'd argue that W&L's price is "ridiculous." We are ultimately arguing semantics, and this discussion is unproductive for purposes of OP's decision. He/she would not be paying sticker at UR, so UR's sticker price is irrelevant. Wake's sticker price, however, is relevant.

$53k/yr x 3 yrs = 159k - 45k = 114k

I wouldn't pay $114k for UR when the most likely outcome is a $40k-$50k a year job (see NLJ250 stats, bimodal salary distribution curve), assuming you actually get a job.

I wouldn't pay sticker for Wake either.

Add this that OP want to do policy, and my answer is still just don't go.

That's fair, and that's your opinion. As I said, I don't think that Wake at sticker is a wise move. However, I do think that, as between OP's two options, UR at 21K is the superior choice.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:56 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamesChapman23

Postby JamesChapman23 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:04 pm

rad lulz wrote:
mighttransfer wrote:That's fair, and that's your opinion. As I said, I don't think that Wake at sticker is a wise move. However, I do think that, as between OP's two options, UR at 21K is the superior choice.

Duh?

The superior choice is retake or don't go. Srsly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

el William

Postby el William » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:07 pm

1. I am going to law school. I do not buy into the t14 or nothing view. T14 is not an option for me so I am going to take the options available.

2. I am not considering Richmond at full price. I have a $15,000 a year scholarship at Richmond. I know Wake is a higher ranked school, but the question is, is it so much better that I should choose wake over Richmond when that decision will result in 50-60k more debt

Thanks might transfer for Trying to get this thread back on track
Last edited by el William on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mighttransfer

Postby mighttransfer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:11 pm

el William wrote:1. I am going to law school. I do not buy into the t14 or nothing view. T14 is not an option for me so I am going to take the options available.

2. I am not considering Richmond at full price. I have a $15,000 a year scholarship at Richmond. I know Wake is a higher ranked school, but the question is, is it so much better that I should choose wake over Richmond when that decision will result in 50-60k more debt

NO--Wake is not worth the 50-60K increase in debt.

JamesChapman23

Postby JamesChapman23 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:13 pm

el William wrote:1. I am going to law school. I do not buy into the t14 or nothing view. T14 is not an option for me so I am going to take the options available.

1. I am not interested in hearing disconfirming information about the ridiculous nature of the law market today. I think collecting 100k+ worth of non discharagble debt is worth pathetic job prospects and decent change of unemployment.

2. Exercise in rearranging deck chairs.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:16 pm

JamesChapman23 wrote:

1. I am not interested in hearing disconfirming information about the ridiculous nature of the law market today. I think collecting 100k+ worth of non discharagble debt is worth pathetic job prospects and decent change of unemployment.

2. Exercise in rearranging deck chairs.

You, sir, have potential.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:35 am

Thanks might transfer for Trying to get this thread back on track

There's a third option here...don't go right now. Is it really that hard to wait a few years and try to get a better LSAT score?

And there are law schools that will get you "policy" work without prior work experience. UR is not one of them.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”