L&C vs. Temple vs. Penn State* vs. Denver vs. UNM vs. Miami

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Rate these schools

Poll ended at Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Lewis & Clark
30%
Temple
40%
Penn State
No votes
Denver
30%
UNM
No votes
Miami
No votes
Stetson
No votes

Total votes: 10

zonecutz

L&C vs. Temple vs. Penn State* vs. Denver vs. UNM vs. Miami

Postby zonecutz » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:25 pm

So these are all the schools I have been accepted to so far:

1) Lewis & Clark in Oregon--best state in Oregon, but Oregon sucks for law apparently. My wife loves this option because it would be closer to Japan--Oregon's kindof hippy, she's kind of hippy. Looks like a wonderful campus, and nice library. Some of our friends are planning on moving up to the region, and as they say it seems like a nice place "for young people to retire". Just the job prospects look so weak there is the stumbling block.

2) Temple--Lots of people say this is a diamond in the rough...like a way better law school that people give it credit for; and it has TUJ a University in Japan, the only ABA accredited school where you can study law for a semester abroad in Japan...my undergrad was in Japanese at the University of Colorado, and my wife is Japanese...lots of things seem to be adding towards this as a good option. However, Philly seems somewhat sketch and we'll have to live way outside of the city proper, so that my kids can go to a decent elementary school (lol on greatschools.com, the k-12 ed in Philly was straight 1's and 2's/10)

3) I've been waitlisted for Penn State. I've heard mixed things. That crazy site 3rd tier reality destroys Penn State, but I seriously don't trust that site...the guy just seems like a bitter ass. Need more info.

4) Denver. Possibly the cheapest, safest option so far, as I live in the city. The law school seems very meh, but for whatever reason in Colorado, everyone always assumes Denver is the better law school when compared to CU....I've already done the whole CU thing and it didn't work for me so that's probably out...Anyways, DU is on the light-rail, and I could move into a nearby apartment with my wife and be literally here with my family for support...But family life here has gotten somewhat rotten as of late and I would actually like to get out of the state; especially if it is in search of superior job prospects....Job prospects and my wife's happiness (k-12 ed) are tied for my number one priority...It's strange how the two priorities are so often at lager-heads.

5) I was accepted to UNM. It's not very appealing to me or my wife, but we just took a vacation in Santa Fe and that was nice. Abq. is a whole different ballgame though. Might be too backwards/trashy to live there with kids. Cheap though, and close to my family in Colorado. Job prospects unknown...

6) Miami. Dangerzone, but the average private salary was over 100k. I never really understand these numbers though....if there were to be 100% reporting would it be like 65k in reality?

7) Stetson...legal writing? I don't know it was a safety school, but I'll probably get it for almost nothing and my dad likes the zone...I'm not going to go here, almost definitely.

*applications outstanding to SMU, Texas Tech, Houston, CU, FSU, W&L, University of Santa Clara, Seattle U, University of Arizona--but for the purposes of this, let's assume only the accepted are in play. My gpa was 2.9 and my lsat was 159 (done with lsat) if that helps.
Last edited by zonecutz on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScrabbleChamp

Re: L&C vs. Temple vs. Penn State* vs. Denver vs. UNM vs. Miami

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:34 pm

zonecutz wrote:So these are all the schools I have been accepted to so far:

1) Lewis & Clark in Oregon--best state in Oregon, but Oregon sucks for law apparently. My wife loves this option because it would be closer to Japan--Oregon's kindof hippy, she's kind of hippy. Looks like a wonderful campus, and nice library. Some of our friends are planning on moving up to the region, and as they say it seems like a nice place "for young people to retire". Just the job prospects look so weak there is the stumbling block.

2) Temple--Lots of people say this is a diamond in the rough...like a way better law school that people give it credit for; and it has TUJ a University in Japan, the only ABA accredited school where you can study law for a semester abroad in Japan...my undergrad was in Japanese at the University of Colorado, and my wife is Japanese...lots of things seem to be adding towards this as a good option. However, Philly seems somewhat sketch and we'll have to live way outside of the city proper, so that my kids can go to a decent elementary school (lol on greatschools.com, the k-12 ed in Philly was straight 1's and 2's/10)

3) I've been waitlisted for Penn State. I've heard mixed things. That crazy site 3rd tier reality destroys Penn State, but I seriously don't trust that site...the guy just seems like a bitter ass. Need more info.

4) Denver. Possibly the cheapest, safest option so far, as I live in the city. The law school seems very meh, but for whatever reason in Colorado, everyone always assumes Denver is the better law school when compared to CU....I've already done the whole CU thing and it didn't work for me so that's probably out...Anyways, DU is on the light-rail, and I could move into a nearby apartment with my wife and be literally here with my family for support...But family life here has gotten somewhat rotten as of late and I would actually like to get out of the state; especially if it is in search of superior job prospects....Job prospects and my wife's happiness (k-12 ed) are tied for my number one priority...It's strange how the two priorities are so often at lager-heads.

5) I was accepted to UNM. It's not very appealing to me or my wife, but we just took a vacation in Santa Fe and that was nice. Abq. is a whole different ballgame though. Might be too backwards/trashy to live there with kids. Cheap though, and close to my family in Colorado. Job prospects unknown...

6) Miami. Dangerzone, but the average private salary was over 100k. I never really understand these numbers though....if there were to be 100% reporting would it be like 65k in reality?

7) Stetson...legal writing? I don't know it was a safety school, but I'll probably get it for almost nothing and my dad likes the zone...I'm not going to go here, almost definitely.

*applications outstanding to SMU, Texas Tech, Houston, CU, FSU, W&L, UC Santa Clara, Seattle U, Arizona U--but for the purposes of this, let's assume only the accepted are in play. My gpa was 2.9 and my lsat was 159 (done with lsats) if that helps.

Words of advice... if you are going to be a believable flame, it is best to ensure you know the actual names of the schools you have applied to. There are no such schools as: UC Santa Clara or Arizona U. Also, "lsats", really?

zonecutz

Postby zonecutz » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:42 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
zonecutz wrote:So these are all the schools I have been accepted to so far:

*applications outstanding to SMU, Texas Tech, Houston, CU, FSU, W&L, UC Santa Clara, Seattle U, Arizona U--but for the purposes of this, let's assume only the accepted are in play. My gpa was 2.9 and my lsat was 159 (done with lsats) if that helps.

Words of advice... if you are going to be a believable flame, it is best to ensure you know the actual names of the schools you have applied to. There are no such schools as: UC Santa Clara or Arizona U. Also, "lsats", really?

Thanks!

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:45 pm

I vote Denver since you live there. Denver probably has the best job prospects of any of these options, but none are great.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”