Poll: Seattle U v. Gonzaga

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Seattle U. vs. Gonzaga

Seattle
75%
Gonzaga
25%

Total votes: 20

CaptAdams

Poll: Seattle U v. Gonzaga

Postby CaptAdams » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:37 pm

So, I've narrowed my choices to Seattle U. and Gonzaga. I'm still waiting on my state school to come through, and if it does, everything changes.

Seattle Pros: The wife and I want to live in Seattle. We have family and friends there. I also like the school. Obviously, it would be easier getting established in the city we want to live in if I go to a school in that town.

Seattle Cons: Price. I'm in at sticker. While money isn't that big of a factor (the wife and I have great, well-paying jobs), I would rather not take out massive loans to pay for school.

Gonzaga Pros: Half-tuition scholarship with a reasonable stip. Also, one of my closest friends is a Gonzo Law grad and currently a partner at a firm in Seattle in the field I want to enter. Shouldn't be an issue getting a job.

Gonzaga Cons: Spokane for three years. Wife could not transfer her job to Spokane so we'd be living apart.

As I mentioned, money isn't a big factor. We're in our 30's, in well-paying fields. I'm obviously leaving my current career, but it's a pretty small community and I am known and well respected. I could easily fall back to my old career if my law plans just don't pay the bills.

Bronck

Re: Poll: Seattle U v. Gonzaga

Postby Bronck » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:47 pm

Neither sound like very good options. Why not just stay in your current field if it's well paying?

CaptAdams

Postby CaptAdams » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Bronck wrote:Neither sound like very good options. Why not just stay in your current field if it's well paying?

Because I'm sick of it.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Gonzaga is a bad, bad, bad choice. Spokane is like Seattle's ugly trashy sister. I cannot think of one reason to ever pick Gonzaga over University of Idaho, which will offer you essentially the exact same placement in the Spokane area. Outside of the Spokane/Idaho area, you're basically jobless with Gonzaga or UI.

So, since UI's not on the table, Seattle U should be the clear winner. It's not fantastic either, but the pros (wife, better placement, much better place to live) outweigh the higher cost, especially since that doesn't seem to matter to you.

CaptAdams

Postby CaptAdams » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:41 pm

PinkCow wrote:Gonzaga is a bad, bad, bad choice. Spokane is like Seattle's ugly trashy sister. I cannot think of one reason to ever pick Gonzaga over University of Idaho, which will offer you essentially the exact same placement in the Spokane area. Outside of the Spokane/Idaho area, you're basically jobless with Gonzaga or UI.

So, since UI's not on the table, Seattle U should be the clear winner. It's not fantastic either, but the pros (wife, better placement, much better place to live) outweigh the higher cost, especially since that doesn't seem to matter to you.

With TLS's anti-loan stance, I thought my Gonz situation would garner a better opinion. That said, my situation with my friend doesn't sway you in any way?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:53 pm

CaptAdams wrote:
PinkCow wrote:Gonzaga is a bad, bad, bad choice. Spokane is like Seattle's ugly trashy sister. I cannot think of one reason to ever pick Gonzaga over University of Idaho, which will offer you essentially the exact same placement in the Spokane area. Outside of the Spokane/Idaho area, you're basically jobless with Gonzaga or UI.

With TLS's anti-loan stance, I thought my Gonz situation would garner a better opinion. That said, my situation with my friend doesn't sway you in any way?

I disagree with the above characterization of Spokane, but I agree with the job characterization. You don't want to have to depend on one person for a job. Also, if he is such a great friend, why can't he get you a position coming from Seattle U?

CaptAdams

Postby CaptAdams » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:59 pm

bdubs wrote:Also, if he is such a great friend, why can't he get you a position coming from Seattle U?

I'm being unclear. He certainly can help out no matter what school I head to. He's simply a Gonz alum and really like his experience. But you're right, his help is a pro on both schools.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:42 pm

CaptAdams wrote:
bdubs wrote:Also, if he is such a great friend, why can't he get you a position coming from Seattle U?

I'm being unclear. He certainly can help out no matter what school I head to. He's simply a Gonz alum and really like his experience. But you're right, his help is a pro on both schools.

TBH both are pretty bad bets, but I would choose Seattle U if I had to pick one. Seattle U still has a small number of people who go to big firms in Seattle every year because the firms want to hire at least someone from there. Since you want to be in Seattle and not the PNW in general, I would say Seattle U gives you the best (although not great) odds of getting a job in the city.

Boggs

Postby Boggs » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:45 pm

CaptAdams wrote:So, I've narrowed my choices to Seattle U. and Gonzaga. I'm still waiting on my state school to come through, and if it does, everything changes.

Seattle Pros: The wife and I want to live in Seattle. We have family and friends there. I also like the school. Obviously, it would be easier getting established in the city we want to live in if I go to a school in that town.

Seattle Cons: Price. I'm in at sticker. While money isn't that big of a factor (the wife and I have great, well-paying jobs), I would rather not take out massive loans to pay for school.

Gonzaga Pros: Half-tuition scholarship with a reasonable stip. Also, one of my closest friends is a Gonzo Law grad and currently a partner at a firm in Seattle in the field I want to enter. Shouldn't be an issue getting a job.

Gonzaga Cons: Spokane for three years. Wife could not transfer her job to Spokane so we'd be living apart.

As I mentioned, money isn't a big factor. We're in our 30's, in well-paying fields. I'm obviously leaving my current career, but it's a pretty small community and I am known and well respected. I could easily fall back to my old career if my law plans just don't pay the bills.

I grew up pretty close to Spokane. I like the area, but the fact that you'd be living apart from your wife isn't worth it. Additionally, Seattle U is going to place better in Seattle, which is where you want to be.

Gonzaga is worshipped in Eastern Washington, but that's not what you want. So go to Seattle U.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info. I've got two friends at Seattle U right now. One of them is a transfer from Gonzaga.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”