WashU ($$$) vs. NW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BuckyLaw

WashU ($$$) vs. NW

Postby BuckyLaw » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:32 pm

$120k scholly to WashU and yet to hear from NW. Long term goal of ending in Chicago BigLaw. Thoughts?

bdubs

Re: WashU ($$$) vs. NW

Postby bdubs » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:12 pm

If you really want Chicago, then you should come to Northwestern. The difference in placement in Chicago is substantial.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:14 pm

Northwestern seems like a no-brainer. Try to leverage a small scholly maybe? I think Northwestern at sticker would still be worth it. WUSTL has gotten murdered in Chicago in recent years.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Faced a similar choice last year and chose NU. I definitely agree with the above.

The first problem is that WUSTL's placement is diffuse and lacks great hooks in to Chicago. This makes it unlike other strong regional schools (e.g. Hastings, BU, BC, GW, etc) because those schools are in the large city in their market that people want to be in. This hurts WUSTL when it comes to Chicago, so while you can get Chicago from WUSTL, it is an uphill battle even outside of biglaw.

The second problem is that WUSTL's biglaw placement sucks. If you want biglaw you pretty much have to be T14 or bust. I will say that WUSTL is the far less risky choice. It is a lot more economically sound of a decision since you might not get biglaw out of NU and be saddled with 200k+ worth of debt with bleak repayment prospects. I think from an objective point of view WUSTL is the most economically sound idea. However, each person has their own subjective goals. Those goals line up with NU and which is why you should go there, but of course be aware that paying sticker at NU is still quite a risk.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:28 pm

I'll just reiterate what I sent to you via PM here in your thread, so that others can chime in on it as well.

If you weren't Chicago biglaw or bust, then I'd say take WUSTL. Northwestern could cost you well over 200k if it is at sticker (Chicago ain't cheap, and those loans are going to be picking up interest over three years). But given how atrocious our Chicago placement has been for our class, I can't in good conscience tell someone who is Chicago biglaw focused that he should take WUSTL over Northwestern.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:40 pm

After post stalking you, OP, you're doing yourself a disservice not retaking the LSAT.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”