Cardozo May Program v. Brooklyn Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jlb24

Cardozo May Program v. Brooklyn Law School

Postby jlb24 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:50 pm

Curious about opinions on which to attend. At this point I haven't received any money from Brooklyn however I plan to talk to them since I got into Cardozo and got money from Temple. Is Cardozo that much better? Constructive advice is appreciated!

bk1

Re: Cardozo May Program v. Brooklyn Law School

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:53 pm

They're both pretty bad. Whichever is cheaper and has looser scholly stips. If either are close to sticker or the stips are tough then neither.

jlb24

Postby jlb24 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:48 pm

bk1 wrote:They're both pretty bad. Whichever is cheaper and has looser scholly stips. If either are close to sticker or the stips are tough then neither.

I feel sorry for you.

flyingduck

Postby flyingduck » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:38 am

bk1 wrote:They're both pretty bad. Whichever is cheaper and has looser scholly stips. If either are close to sticker or the stips are tough then neither.

+1

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:41 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoJ2124

Postby JoJ2124 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:30 am

I may be slightly biased, but then again, maybe not....

I started off doing Cardozo's May program and transferred to a better school. I had the same option you did, but chose the May program because 1) I was still able to work part-time (which, I don't recommend to anybody - this was a special situation where I couldn't leave my job before training someone else + needed some extra $$) and 2) I liked the fact that the work was spread over 3 semesters. I think this really helped me do better my 1L year, and allowed me to transfer. However, that doesn't mean less work each semester = better grades. But, at least for me, the structure of the program was a good transition to law school, and it helped me in the long run.

As for Brooklyn Law, I can't really say it's worse than Cardozo, as I have an immediate family member who went there, who got Biglaw. The one thing I was particularly impressed with about the school was their alumni network, which is much bigger than Cardozo's.

Overall, if these are your only choices, I'd say the schools' reputations are about the same in NY, but I still think the May program is pretty great, and definitely a reason I chose Cardozo.

Is either school giving you scholarships? If not, take this all with a grain of salt. If you can retake the LSAT or something, and have the chance to go to a better school - do it; better to wait and go to the school that gives you the best chances of getting a job, than take on massive debt now.

If you want any more info re: Cardozo, pm me.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”