Syracuse vs. NYLS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
swagu

Syracuse vs. NYLS

Postby swagu » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:11 am

Looking for some insight. Would love to work in NYC, but would be willing to work elsewhere. Just want to go to the school that I would benefit more from. Thanks.

stillwater

Re: Syracuse vs. NYLS

Postby stillwater » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:40 am

swagu wrote:Looking for some insight. Would love to work in NYC, but would be willing to work elsewhere. Just want to go to the school that I would benefit more from. Thanks.

Not NYLS.

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:48 am

I'd say you should give up on working in NYC right away. I was considering Syracuse for a while not because it's a good law school, but their dual degree programs are very accessible. While their law school is crap, they have among the best public policy and communication schools in the country, and they don't charge extra for the second degree, and the programs are geared to be finished in 3 years. In order to get into Maxwell (Cuse's PP school) you need to rock your first semester 1L. I'd say going to Syracuse is a sound idea job-wise if (and probably only if) you get their JD/MPA.

swagu

Postby swagu » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:23 am

superbloom wrote:I'd say you should give up on working in NYC right away. I was considering Syracuse for a while not because it's a good law school, but their dual degree programs are very accessible. While their law school is crap, they have among the best public policy and communication schools in the country, and they don't charge extra for the second degree, and the programs are geared to be finished in 3 years. In order to get into Maxwell (Cuse's PP school) you need to rock your first semester 1L. I'd say going to Syracuse is a sound idea job-wise if (and probably only if) you get their JD/MPA.

Yes, the dual degree programs are something I have been looking over. Do you know if it's easier to get accepted for the MPA program if you are already in the law school, or does it not really have an impact on your chances? Ideally, I'd love to go to Syracuse, and get a JD/MPA, but there is the chance of not getting accepted to the MPA program.

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:26 am

No idea about that. I tried finding statistics about it. From what it seems the most important thing is to do very well your first semester.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:00 pm

Require moar details. Do you have ties to the area around Syracuse? I'd avoid NYLS at all costs, and avoid Syracuse without regional ties.

bogart

Postby bogart » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:03 pm

I have heard it is difficult to get hired upstate without ties due to the fear (particularily in cuse) that you will leave and move to manhattan. With schools in this range you really need to go were you want to work and/or are from. Good luck.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:27 pm

What do you mean by "benefit from?" Where do you want to work and what type of law?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”