BU or BC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BU or BC (both no $$)

BU
56%
BC
44%

Total votes: 75

Re: BU or BC

Postby 20130312 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Some quality poaster research going on here.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:50 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Some quality poaster research going on here.

Nah, Harlan and I were there for that mess, since we were regulars whenever a BU vs. BC thread would come up. A poster named Informative would spew the same minor stat differences and reach these silly conclusions that bordered on hyperbole. We knew he was a student, but one day he tried to fool the other posters in the thread by claiming that he was an associate at a firm, to try and make it seem like, from his view inside the firm, there is a strong BC preference. When we read his posts and realized he was just a student, we were pretty darn pissed. Informative never came back of course, and Slevin shows up a day or 2 after, saying the same things Informative used to say, minus the bogus claims about being an associate in a Boston firm. Was quite the episode.

Edit: Haha just realized that he posted the link, so you can re-live this glorious episode in BU vs. BC history
Last edited by kaiser on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Statistical significance? How does it work?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:03 pm

I think the question isn't BU v. BC, it's what are your other options if they don't give you any money?

kams

Postby kams » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:04 pm

kaiser wrote:

Nah, Harlan and I were there for that mess, since we were regulars whenever a BU vs. BC thread would come up. A poster named Informative would spew the same minor stat differences and reach these silly conclusions that bordered on hyperbole. We knew he was a student, but one day he tried to fool the other posters in the thread by claiming that he was an associate at a firm, to try and make it seem like, from his view inside the firm, there is a strong BC preference. When we read his posts and realized he was just a student, we were pretty darn pissed. Informative never came back of course, and Slevin shows up a day or 2 after, saying the same things Informative used to say, minus the bogus claims about being an associate in a Boston firm. Was quite the episode.

Edit: Haha just realized that he posted the link, so you can re-live this glorious episode in BU vs. BC history

That was pretty hilarious. Don't forget, Informative was an alt of "small law" who said pretty much the exact same things. He's been going at it for quite some time.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:09 pm

kams wrote:That was pretty hilarious. Don't forget, Informative was an alt of "small law" who said pretty much the exact same things. He's been going at it for quite some time.

Can't teach an old troll new tricks, I guess.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:12 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
kams wrote:That was pretty hilarious. Don't forget, Informative was an alt of "small law" who said pretty much the exact same things. He's been going at it for quite some time.

Wow, it really is the same poster. Unbelievable that he just keeps doing the same thing like a cycle.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:18 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:

Looks like Small Law has logged in today.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:22 pm

bk1 wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

Looks like Small Law has logged in today.

Small Law and Informative both have identical "Last visited: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:46 pm" right now.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:12 pm

It's a shame the poll has skewed towards BU. Idk if it's because of ranking or what, but this decision should come down to $ and personal preference, as many others have said.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:36 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:It's a shame the poll has skewed towards BU. Idk if it's because of ranking or what, but this decision should come down to $ and personal preference, as many others have said.

Most law students are ranking whores.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:40 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:It's a shame the poll has skewed towards BU. Idk if it's because of ranking or what, but this decision should come down to $ and personal preference, as many others have said.

Thats why I wish we had a color coding system here on TLS, and that polls allowed us to break down the votes based on the category that each poster falls into. I wish there was color coding for 0L, 1L, etc. That way we can sift out the "0L factor" from polls like these (the 0L's who don't actually know things about the schools, and just look to the rankings in clicking on polls). Plus, we would not longer be confused by the ludicrous authoritative statements in which 0L's proclaim to know more about law school than actual students.

lmtt

Postby lmtt » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:33 am

Made the same decision last year and went to BC because they offered slightly more money. If you are paying sticker either way its not worth going.

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:41 pm

cinephile wrote:I think the question isn't BU v. BC, it's what are your other options if they don't give you any money?

My other options are:
-Vandy ($10K/yr)
-WUSTL ($25K/yr)
-GW
-Fordham ($10K/yr)
-Emory
-William and Mary
-Notre Dame ($20K/yr)
-U of Minnesota ($27K/yr)
-U of Illinois (25% of tuition/yr)
-U of Washington

Money is not an issue for me right now so I'm trying to decide based on job prospects for each school..

I'm still praying to get off from Georgetown, Cornell and UVA's waiting list (I'll def attend one of these if I get accepted) -- but since I need to make my seat deposit soon assuming that I won't get into any of those three, I'm trying to decide where I should go.

This is painful. :(

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Schang1 wrote:
cinephile wrote:I think the question isn't BU v. BC, it's what are your other options if they don't give you any money?

My other options are:
-Vandy ($10K/yr)
-WUSTL ($25K/yr)
-GW
-Fordham ($10K/yr)
-Emory
-William and Mary
-Notre Dame ($20K/yr)
-U of Minnesota ($27K/yr)
-U of Illinois (25% of tuition/yr)
-U of Washington

Money is not an issue for me right now so I'm trying to decide based on job prospects for each school..

I'm still praying to get off from Georgetown, Cornell and UVA's waiting list (I'll def attend one of these if I get accepted) -- but since I need to make my seat deposit soon assuming that I won't get into any of those three, I'm trying to decide where I should go.

This is painful. :(

Where do you want to practice? You blanketed regional schools all over the country.

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:22 pm

Yes, I seriously did. I honestly don't know where I want to practice since I don't have any connections to the US (I'm an international student) -- but I would prefer the east cost (perhaps NY, DC or Boston). Now I'm gearing towards Vandy, WUSTL, GW, BU or BC. I'm definitely not going to make a deposit to all 5 of the schools but maybe just 1 or 2. I e-mailed Vandy, and they said about 10% of their graduates practice in DC, so does this mean that Vandy students have less of a chance in securing a job in DC than GW students?

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Schang1 wrote:Yes, I seriously did. I honestly don't know where I want to practice since I don't have any connections to the US (I'm an international student) -- but I would prefer the east cost (perhaps NY, DC or Boston). Now I'm gearing towards Vandy, WUSTL, GW, BU or BC. I'm definitely not going to make a deposit to all 5 of the schools but maybe just 1 or 2. I e-mailed Vandy, and they said about 10% of their graduates practice in DC, so does this mean that Vandy students have less of a chance in securing a job in DC than GW students?

GW being in DC obviously gives it a boost. However, DC is an extremely difficult market to crack. Unless you're at YSH, you probably shouldn't go to a school expecting to get DC Law. If east cost is your goal, it seems to me that BU/BC is your best bet.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”