KU or Washburn? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Washburn or KU?

KU
83%
Washburn
17%

Total votes: 23

ntfirex15

New

KU or Washburn?

Post by ntfirex15 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:28 am

I know something was posted about this back in 2010 but I have to ask.

I got accepted to both KU and Washburn. KU gave me $20,000 in scholarships, and Washburn gave me almost a full ride.

I am completely torn. I always pictured myself going to KU but then I visited Washburn and ended up really liking it as well. My pros for Washburn are that it has an amazing child and family law program and that I would graduate almost debt free. Yet for KU, I feel as if I would have a better chance at getting a job if I end up moving out of state (my boyfriend of many years is in the Air Force) and I feel that they have a better alumni connection. Also, Lawrence seems much more exciting to live in than Topeka, however I plan to hit the books pretty hard so I am not sure if it's going to really matter.

All in all, thoughts? I would really appreciate if anyone else that has this same problem *although doubtful* would weigh in... don't know how many Kansans are out there... Thanks!!!

hoos89

Gold

Re: KU or Washburn?

Post by hoos89 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:29 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ntfirex15

New

Post by ntfirex15 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:30 am

I just have to have a 3.0 GPA throughout. That's it.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:33 am

/

ntfirex15

New

Post by ntfirex15 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:35 am

Not assuming at all! I just am, and always have been, an intense worker when it comes to school. Both of the scholarships, from Washburn and KU, are based on a 3.0 GPA.
Last edited by ntfirex15 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:36 am

Are we really going to let this person post in fuchsia?

Betharl

Bronze

Post by Betharl » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:36 am

I wouldn't want to pay for either school. I'd say retake the LSAT if you think there is any chance you could score higher. If retaking is not an option, I guess look into the stips/curve at Washburn.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:38 am

/

ntfirex15

New

Post by ntfirex15 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:46 am

I am not saying it's easy. I am not saying that other people will not be working just as hard. I am not worried about other people. I am worried about myself. I will push myself. The stipulations for the scholarship aren't really the issue here. The issue is I have this and I am asking for advice with what to do with it. So if you would like to counsel me on that, please go ahead but I would like to get back on track with my actual question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ntfirex15

New

Post by ntfirex15 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:47 am

bernaldiaz wrote:Are we really going to let this person post in fuchsia?
Yes. I like color. Just like you like your picture you have. But since you have such a problem with it, here is some boring text for you to read.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:48 am

ntfirex15 wrote:I am not saying it's easy. I am not saying that other people will not be working just as hard. I am not worried about other people. I am worried about myself. I will push myself. The stipulations for the scholarship aren't really the issue here. The issue is I have this and I am asking for advice with what to do with it. So if you would like to counsel me on that, please go ahead but I would like to get back on track with my actual question.
Haha welcome to TLS. Get used to people giving you advice that you don't ask for. Also, about 99% of the time that advice is in your best interest and really should be considered.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:48 am

/

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:58 am

hoos89 wrote:
ntfirex15 wrote:I am not saying it's easy. I am not saying that other people will not be working just as hard. I am not worried about other people. I am worried about myself. I will push myself. The stipulations for the scholarship aren't really the issue here. The issue is I have this and I am asking for advice with what to do with it. So if you would like to counsel me on that, please go ahead but I would like to get back on track with my actual question.
But it has everything to do with the actual question; I'm sorry but you honestly do not seem to understand this. Most law schools have a forced curve which means that how hard others work IS very important as there are only a certain number of A grades available on a given exam. You cannot go to any school with a stipulated scholarship without the understanding that there is a non-trivial chance that you will lose it and be pretty much stuck paying full tuition (or dropping out).
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... wanted=all
Yeah this is the point. You may not care what other people are doing but you're graded against them. Not to mention the fact that amount of studying is, at best, very loosely correlated to good grades. If the stip is a 3.0 and they curve to a 2.5 you are more likely than not to lose your scholarship. That sounds like something to figure into one of the most important decisions of your life.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ntfirex15

New

Post by ntfirex15 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:02 am

Ok so maybe I should have asked this question without the scholarship :) and hoos89 I really so appreciate all your information. I really am looking into the article you posted and when I visit them both I will ask students how they do that at each of them.

Scholarships aside, KU or Washburn?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:06 am

/

kams

New

Post by kams » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:12 am

I'm from the Kansas City area. Neither of these schools are particularly strong, but KU is definitely the better bet. The biggest/closest legal market is KC, where there are a few decent sized firms. I knew tons of people at Washburn who couldn't get interviews anywhere, whereas some KU people ended up with a few interviews. Essentially, Washburn is pretty much the lowest school on the totem pole when it comes to big firms giving out interviews (WUSTL > SLU/Mizzou/KU > UMKC > Washburn). That being said, chance of getting a firm job out of those schools is still slim to none. But it might be different if you're not looking to do firm.

Good luck.

kams

New

Post by kams » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:15 am

Also, don't count on getting a job out of state from KU. Neither of these schools have a strong enough reputation outside of the region. But you're right in that your chances might be marginally better from KU.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:02 pm

I got the same KU offer, but I'm OOS so not really considering it.

3.0 at KU equates to roughly the median, according to the admission stuff I received and after talking with 2 current students.

Personally, I'f taker KU. You are a resident, take the $$ they gave you and enjoy paying the crazy cheap in-state tuition knowing that you are at the better of the two schools in the state. I know Washburn has a better rep in the area than a lot of people realize, but I still don't think this is that tough of a call.

Either way, good options if you want to stay in Kansas, good luck,

AshC1013

New

Post by AshC1013 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:06 pm

My advice to you is to align your legal studies with your interests. If you’re torn between the two schools, then look at the programs they offer and where they excel. You mentioned the Family Law Program at Washburn. Professor Elrod there is an international expert on everything and anything to do with family law. Washburn also houses the Family Law Quarterly, which is a national publication for the American Bar Association edited and revised by Washburn students. If that’s the type of law you’re interested in, the experience of the professors and the clinic will have you well prepared for practicing the law when you graduate. You also mentioned that your boyfriend is in the Air Force, and that you may have to relocate at some point. The dean of the law school is actually a former Judge Advocate General for the U.S. Army, and we have many students who are officers in the military who may have potential moves and change of jurisdictions in the future. The school is familiar with these situations and can help you tailor your education to prepare you for practice in a jurisdiction other than Kansas.

I am a Washburn student, so naturally my opinion comes with a little bit of a bias. However, there is something to be said also for saving your money. A full ride to law school is something that should never be overlooked. No matter where you choose to go to school, the job market is difficult all over the country. Reducing your debt as much as possible is truly worth it, and Topeka has a very low cost of living. Washburn has been an excellent learning environment for me, and I don’t regret my decision to go there in any way.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:20 pm

/

AshC1013

New

Post by AshC1013 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:39 pm

I've been to this site before just to observe the forums, but this was the first time I really wanted to contribute something - not my intention to concern you about when I formed an account. I am a current student. I thought you could just benefit from hearing about some of Washburn's programs, particularly in the family law area as they have really helped me out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:42 pm

/

AshC1013

New

Post by AshC1013 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Here's the link to our website that tells you the curves for first year classes - most of that is pre-determined for all accredited law schools though. However, the grading curve goes up 2nd and 3rd year.

--LinkRemoved--

If you wanted to, you could even see how specific professor's grade after a semester is over- see the link below:

--LinkRemoved--

Now, it depends on the scholarship, but a lot of people are able to maintain a 3.0. I know this is not true for all scholarships, you may want to call the admissions office and ask about yours specifically, but mine for instance is renewable if I fail to maintain a 3.0 GPA. What that means is after your 1L year they review your grades. Say you got a 2.8. You will not receive your scholarship for the following semester. Say you got awesome grades your 2L fall semester, you can receive your scholarship again for the Spring 2L semester if you're up to a 3.0 or higher again. Like I said, this is just the case for my scholarship, however, it may not be for all. My experience is they're not in the game of trying to get people there just so they can take the scholarships away 2L year. They genuinely want to keep you there once you've begun.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Kansas, and it's not even close.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:46 pm

Looks like in-state tuition for both is 17K/yr. Paying sticker if you lose your scholarship isn't the most ideal situation, but you'll still be better off than those paying sticker at a TTT in a major market. On the same token, the difference between 20K and full ride is only 30K.

I'm not familiar with either school, but what markets do you want to be in and how do these schools place in these markets? My gut feeling is that KU, being the state flagship, will open more doors due to employer familiarity with the name.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”