William and Mary vs. UF

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ttunsehc

William and Mary vs. UF

Postby ttunsehc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:27 pm

OK, so I negotiated with W and M and they gave me 2,000 more a year.
UF would be about 20,000 in loans a year while W and M would be about 30,000/year. I've asked this before but I'll ask again. I'm leaning towards W and M because I want to go to a more prestigious school than UF. I was accepted at USC but they didn't give me a merit scholly.
Also I would like to get a clerkship and UF doesn't get many clerkships.
Is William and Mary really that regional?
What would people choose? I know most people will say it depends on where you want to live and I'm having a hard time to believe that W and M is that regional.
What do people think?
Is W and M a prestigious school? It is nationally known correct? And has a better faculty, correct?

NYC Law

Re: William and Mary vs. UF

Postby NYC Law » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:37 pm

They're both very regional and neither is more prestigious than the other. People in FL will say UF >>>> W&M, people in VA will presumably say W&M >>>>> UF.

Also, the odds are very slim of you getting a clerkship from either, so that shouldn't even be a factor.

Decide whether you want to work in VA or FL, go accordingly.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:39 am

NYC Law wrote:They're both very regional and neither is more prestigious than the other. People in FL will say UF >>>> W&M, people in VA will presumably say W&M >>>>> UF.

Also, the odds are very slim of you getting a clerkship from either, so that shouldn't even be a factor.

Decide whether you want to work in VA or FL, go accordingly.

I completely disagree. W&M is much more prestigious than UF. I know grads from W&M that are all over the country including florida. Yes, you have to do well to be able to leave the region but I know W&M grads all over the place. They also land 16% of their class in clerkships as opposed to UF's 4.4%, 7.4% in federal clerkships vs UF's 3.2%.

I think if you are dedicated to doing well at W&M you can go anywhere you want after graduation.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:43 am

The-Specs wrote:I think if you are dedicated to doing well at W&M you can go anywhere you want after graduation.

The curve says otherwise.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:45 am

Do you want to work in Virginia? W&M is regional as fuck, and if you don't have Va ties you probably shouldn't go there.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:46 am

dextermorgan wrote:Do you want to work in Virginia? W&M is regional as fuck, and if you don't have Va ties you probably shouldn't go there.

He bumped a thread from almost a year ago.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:56 am

Nova wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:Do you want to work in Virginia? W&M is regional as fuck, and if you don't have Va ties you probably shouldn't go there.

He bumped a thread from almost a year ago.

Oops.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”