Minnesota schools?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

St. Thomas
14%
William Mitchell
11%
North Dakota
11%
Wisconsin
64%

Total votes: 28

dex8425

Minnesota schools?

Postby dex8425 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:47 pm

I'm from the Twin Cities and would like to practice there. Waitlisted at UMN, 10k/yr at St. Thomas, 30% off at William Mitchell. Didn't apply to Hamline (yuck). North Dakota tuition is only 18k/year for me...guess I wouldn't mind working in Fargo. Also accepted to Wisconsin, with reciprocity tuition at 32/yr I believe.
If I went to school in Minneapolis I could live for free.
I just emailed St. Thomas and used my WM offer to ask for more money.
Stips are not restrictive at all, only 2.0 at UST and 2.5 at WM.

Jaeger

Re: Minnesota schools?

Postby Jaeger » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:39 pm

'Scons

jerichosm

Postby jerichosm » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:48 pm

If you plan on staying local, go to the cheapest regional school -- if it has weight in your community (I'm from the east coast so I have no clue what has weight)...if you want to have a degree that has some recognition other places, go to Wisconsin, because even though it doesn't have a great rep, people at least know what it is

Opyth

Postby Opyth » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:24 pm

Being from Minnesota my understanding is that St. Thomas will fork out money if you have a good LSAT (from what I've seen on LSN and their law school re-opened in 1999 so it's still very young and trying to make a name for itself, so the alumni network will be small). UMN is easily and by far the best option to make money. WM, from my understanding, seems to hold wait in the Twin Cities as the clear number 2 law school and as you said Hamline isn't a good option (my cousin graduated in the top 10%, she says, and works as a sales woman for a publishing company of legal textbooks). I haven't heard much of UND's law schools, but I'm guessing the COL would be rather low. You don't have to take the bar if you graduate from Wisconsin and are willing to work there, huge plus.

As Jerichosm said, if you want name weight UMN and Wisc are the better options, but the best option is probably the cheapest school.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:30 pm

Keep in mind that if you graduate from Wisconsin you do not need to take the bar exam in Wisconsin. That's a nice plus. I think UST and WM are pretty fungible at this point, at least that's the impression I got asking around. UMN would likely be the best bet, but Wisconsin isn't a bad option. (Although I'd be nervous about it at sticker...)

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but this might be another scenario where a year off to retake might be warranted. Best of luck.

jerichosm

Postby jerichosm » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:33 pm

hibiki wrote:
Probably not the answer you want to hear, but this might be another scenario where a year off to retake might be warranted. Best of luck.

I would totally agree if OP hadn't basically said a retake is out of the question...but given the circumstances, I think the consensus is Wisconsin unless OP has a strong connection to an area or guaranteed employment from the others -- if you are older, as you say, then obviously debt is a huge concern and you should go to the cheapest/most employable school [emphasis on cheapest, as there are no guarantees]

Edit: Confused this post with another -- a retake is probably a fantastic idea...I know that I would hate to retake in my situation, but it sounds economically FANTASTIC for you

ronthebartender

Postby ronthebartender » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:59 pm

So total cost of attendance at Wisconsin would be 125k minimum and wm would be roughly 70k? For a job in the twin cities I don't know if Wisconsin is worth the extra $$. If you're open to working in Wisconsin then its a different story, but if you only want Minneapolis, I don't think Wisconsin will give you any advantage over Mitchell, much less one worth 50k+.

wallflower1987

Postby wallflower1987 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:51 am

This really comes down to your priorities. If your priority is Twin Cities, then probably William Mitchell. If you wouldn't mind (or would even prefer) Fargo, UND is probably the best of the four. If you want lower stress, probably Wisconsin... you could graduate lower in your class and get similar offers (most likely) and you won't have to take the bar if you stay in Wisconsin. UST has money to throw around, so you could try talking them up... otherwise that's pretty much my take.

averagejoe

Postby averagejoe » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:59 pm

Wisconsin is your best bet. The price is reasonable and the UW has a decent presence in the Twin Cities. Plus, Madison is a fun place to live. North Dakota is second best bet. A person gains ND residence for tuition purposes within a year, and tuition for residents is around 10k. North Dakota's economy is booming and the State has many job opportunties for lawyers. UST and WM share third place.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:58 pm

MinnesotaBigLaw11 wrote:I would certainly recommend Wisconsin over UST at similar cost. Good school, good reputation in the midwest and great lakes area, etc. If you do well at Wisconsin, you'll have a chance at the big Chicago and Minneapolis firms. That being said, I don't think it is worth over $100k in debt at graduation (few schools are worth this). If your tuition and board, including interest, sums up to over $100k in debt, I would look elsewhere.

Regarding WM, UST or Hamline, I would say go to the cheapest between WM and UST. Hamline is a good school, but I wouldn't attend unless I recieved a full scholarship and attending WM/UST would result in over 60k in total debt. If WM and UST are equal in cost, attend UST.

From the best MPLS biglaw thread on TLS: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=146346

wiscohopeful

Postby wiscohopeful » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:35 pm

Currently working in MN. Go to WISC if you must go. They at least have the portability to get you a job here... albeit diminishing every year. Firms in town have maybe one spot per SA class for St Thomas. Others won't hire any. William Mitchell is slightly better than that...at least for the big firms...maybe two for the largest firms and one at others. UND gets hired here but not with any frequency worth noting. WISC can get you here if you have the grades and the schools name won't get you automatically passed over like the others will. Do yourself a favor and if you must go, take out the extra debt and go somewhere where the likely result is not unemployment. Not trying to be mean...just don't risk those other schools if your goal is MN. The market is recovering, but not to the point where the firms hire with any frequency outside of UMN.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:37 pm

This is from last cycle :|

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:42 pm

Nova wrote:This is from last cycle :|

lol! Didn't even notice the necro.

What the heck, averagejoe?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:42 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Nova wrote:This is from last cycle :|

lol! Didn't even notice the necro.

What the heck, averagejoe?

apparently that his thing. he necros threads to weightily opine on options long dead.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”