Berkeley versus NYU versus Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU versus Berkeley versus Columbia

Columbia
40%
NYU
13%
Berkeley
47%

Total votes: 92

thatkid

Re: Berkeley versus NYU versus Columbia

Postby thatkid » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:17 pm

Disclaimer: Like basically everyone else here, I'm a naive 0L.

That said, I'm pretty sure you won't find many people outside of TLS trying to talk you out of Berkeley. I'm sure you've heard- it's a T14 that will probably get you a job, and it sounds like you like the school. I know you shouldn't base your choice solely on where you'll be happy, but it should be a factor in cases like this. If you definitely want to stay in California, enjoy your first choice.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:14 pm

You have to decide whether biglaw or being in CA is more important to you.

Lol, no you don't. BigLaw is easily attainable at Berkeley.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:30 pm

thatkid wrote: I know you shouldn't base your choice solely on where you'll be happy, but it should be a factor in cases like this.

QFT and emphasis. This isn't even stating it strongly enough. If you want to live in California, live in California. Don't move across the country for a school because it's ranked 3-5 spots higher and places ~10% more in BigLaw (largely due to self-selection, and predominantly in jobs that are also in a place where you don't want to live).

Half of law school will be a series of decisions you'll have to make between things that will make you happy and things that will impress other people. Don't start off on the wrong foot.

dolphin

Postby dolphin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:53 pm

i feel like you might regret it if you turn down the higher ranked school, but i'm probably overly concerned with rank. in any case, congrats on your awesome acceptances! whatever choice you make, i'm sure you'll do great

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:06 pm

Just my 2 cents, but I had to make this decision last year and I chose Berkeley. Granted I haven't gone through OCI yet, but I don't regret the choice at all so far. My main suggestion is to wait and see what happens with financial aid. That was the deciding factor for me, since Columbia and NYU offered nothing and Berkeley matched a $45k/year offer from another school.

If the cost is going to be comparable for all three schools, then I would say go wherever you think you will be happiest. Staying in the bay area, being near my friends, not having to move cross-country, not having to deal with cold weather, etc. seemed like trivial things at the time I was making my decision, but these factors really mattered when it came to staying sane and doing well first semester.

Hermione

Postby Hermione » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:52 pm

Kiwi917 wrote:That was the deciding factor for me, since Columbia and NYU offered nothing and Berkeley matched a $45k/year offer from another school.

If it's not too personal of a question, which school was in? I know that Berkeley has a very specific list of schools that they consider for the matching scholarship thing. Also, do you know how 2L's OCI went? Anecdotal information only.

Also, thanks everyone for your help. It's been really nice to have everyone discuss exactly the things that have been mulling around in my head. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”