UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
skers

Re: UVa (full-tuition scholarship) vs. Columbia (sticker)

Postby skers » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:43 pm

UVA.

titan747

Postby titan747 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Easy decision to me... Straight Cash Homey...

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:53 pm

handsonthewheel wrote:
Rotor wrote:
Curious1 wrote: I wouldn't expect something like Boalt to place well in NYC

I'll tell this to all my friends who are working at V10 firms in NY. No we don't have the numbers of other schools there. Blame self-select to Calif. Blame self-select to public interest. Blame a smallish class size. But don't blame an inability for Boalt degree to travel. In some respects, I think that a being a Boaltie willing to go back east makes you stand out over the scads of closer situated T14 schools.

It's not Boalt anymore, it's Berkeley Law.

Also, if you want to go east, don't go to Berkeley, just as if you want to be West don't go to Penn. In both situations you can probably get a job on either coast, depending on grades and interviews, but the chances are much higher if you attend a school in the area.
Thanks for telling me about my own school. Must have missed the memo. :roll: And it's not like we didn't know what he/she meant.

You'll notice I never said Berkeley was the best place to come if your only criterion was NYC BigLaw. I was only countering the incorrect perception that Berkeley doesn't place well in NYC (at least for that subset of the class who want NYC BigLaw).

If nothing else mattered in your selection of a school than your chances of getting NYC BigLaw, then Berkeley is not the place to come if you have other, closer T14 options. However, there are MANY more reasons to choose a particular law school over others. How about the significant stress reduction of having our HH/H/P grading system? How about the extensive clinical offerings or the ability to work on secondary journals as a 1L? Access to semester-long externships at the 9th Cir. or N.D. Cal.? Perhaps you want to do a semester at State or DOD (or other federal agency) with the UCDC program? Or simply getting to live in the Bay Area for three years? All of these things add up to an enriching law school career that will help you achieve your goals-- including goals that are NYC BigLaw.

The top NYC firms come here and we are fairly successful at landing jobs there. Where we are at a disadvantage is in the lower/smaller firms that don't come out west for OCI. Even so, you can still apply on your own. A friend wound up at well-known V50 firm that way.

OP: Apologies for the derail. I think you've got a good dilemma to have. If NYC BigLaw is your sole criterion, then CLS is the right answer. But for me, the magnitude of the difference in opportunities would not be enough to give up the full scholarship.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:23 pm

When I said I thought Boalt doesn't place well NYC, I did take into account self-selection. In my mind Boalt and UVA are peer schools, such that the former self-selects into west coast and the latter into east coast/DC(?)

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:28 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:I would rush submitting your financial materials to Columbia and inform them of your 4/6 deadline. Hopefully they would be able to get you your aid package before then. I think this discussion should happen after that occurs. If Columbia gives you 15k then this is a different story.

Also, Columbia either way if you want NYC or DC biglaw.

Thank God no one paid this horrible advice any attention.

IF it comes down to UVA free vs. Columbia sticker that's an incredibly easy decision. Even if you want to work in NYC--UVA. If you don't want to work in NYC it's not even worth thinking about.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:37 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:I would rush submitting your financial materials to Columbia and inform them of your 4/6 deadline. Hopefully they would be able to get you your aid package before then. I think this discussion should happen after that occurs. If Columbia gives you 15k then this is a different story.

IF it comes down to UVA free vs. Columbia sticker that's an incredibly easy decision. Even if you want to work in NYC--UVA. If you don't want to work in NYC it's not even worth thinking about.

How does UVA place against CLS in non-NYC major markets (DC, Chicago, LA)?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:44 pm

Curious1 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

How does UVA place against CLS in non-NYC major markets (DC, Chicago, LA)?

It's kind of hard to say since a disproportionately high % of Columbia students end up in NY -- 72% ended up in the Northeast from the class of 2010. Only 11% in all of the "mid-atlantic" (mostly DC I'm guessing) and 3% in the Midwest. 1% "west and rocky states."

UVA kind of goes all over the place: 23% DC, 20% NY, 14% VA, 6% CA, 5% TX, 31% "other states." Only about 11 people took the Illinois bar last year, so that's around 3% as well.

jwalterweatherman

Postby jwalterweatherman » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks OP, I'm in a similar position (although not quite with full tuition). It will be tough to turn down the money, but it will also be tough to turn down Columbia.

Also, does anyone know what kind of luck I would have if I used my Columbia acceptance as leverage for a little more scholarship money from UVA (say, bumping me up to a full tuition scholarship)?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:39 pm

jwalterweatherman wrote:Thanks OP, I'm in a similar position (although not quite with full tuition). It will be tough to turn down the money, but it will also be tough to turn down Columbia.

Also, does anyone know what kind of luck I would have if I used my Columbia acceptance as leverage for a little more scholarship money from UVA (say, bumping me up to a full tuition scholarship)?

I do not think that would be very successful -- a Columbia acceptance isn't that special.

jwalterweatherman

Postby jwalterweatherman » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:13 pm

5ky wrote:
jwalterweatherman wrote:Thanks OP, I'm in a similar position (although not quite with full tuition). It will be tough to turn down the money, but it will also be tough to turn down Columbia.

I do not think that would be very successful -- a Columbia acceptance isn't that special.

Fair enough.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”