Tulsa vs Texas Tech

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tigger22

Tulsa vs Texas Tech

Postby tigger22 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:58 pm

With a scholly at Tulsa and out of state fee waiver from Tech, both costs about the same. Not interested in Biglaw. That's not in my options anyways, and that's why I am very sensitive about the costs.

Like most people who would attend third tier school, my initial goal is to transfer to a better school. If that doesn't happen, I want to come back to west coast after I graduate. Or If I can get a job locally then I'll stay but I prefer to come back to California.

For those who think that I should attend neither as for being third tier:
I am an old guy who can't get 170+.
I've tried hard but didn't happened so moving on.

What do you guys think is better option and why?
Thanks.

kalvano

Re: Tulsa vs Texas Tech

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:07 pm

tigger22 wrote: If that doesn't happen, I want to come back to west coast after I graduate. Or If I can get a job locally then I'll stay but I prefer to come back to California.

You need to go to school in California.

tigger22

Postby tigger22 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 pm

kalvano wrote:
tigger22 wrote: If that doesn't happen, I want to come back to west coast after I graduate. Or If I can get a job locally then I'll stay but I prefer to come back to California.

Probably, but I am very cost sensitive.

I have to pay the sticker for third tier/lower end second tier schools.
It's $55,000 ~ $60,000 vs $30,000 ~ $35,000 including living expenses per year.

More than $60,000 difference for 3 years. With third tier school's job prospects, that's a lot. IMHO. Thanks for your comment though.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:40 pm

tigger22 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Probably, but I am very cost sensitive.

I have to pay the sticker for third tier/lower end second tier schools.
It's $55,000 ~ $60,000 vs $30,000 ~ $35,000 including living expenses per year.

More than $60,000 difference for 3 years. With third tier school's job prospects, that a lot. IMHO. Thanks for your comment though.

Jesus Christ. I only said go to California since you want to practice there. But screw that, that's ridiculous.

I don't know anything about Tulsa, so I can't comment. Tech has plenty of drawbacks, which a little research on here will illustrate for you, but as far as TTT schools go, it's not that bad, and it has the potential to crack into the Dallas market, which is pretty large. Also, in case you didn't see, in the "Admissions" forum, one of the Dean's at Tech is actively taking questions, if you have something specific to ask.

I can't comment on Tulsa, but Tech isn't a necessarily bad choice, simply because it doesn't cost a lot.

Jwb0711

Postby Jwb0711 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:55 pm

Kalvano is absolutely right.

There was nothing wrong with your post... Up to the returning to California part. The chance of that happening is incredibly unlikely... At least initially.

Did you try for Chapman? I've heard positive things about the school.. Especially if you want SoCal.

I'm from Houston and did two years of college in Tulsa. People in Tulsa think TU is like Harvard. I had never heard of it until I got to Oklahoma... Haha. But hey, maybe I'm uninformed. The economy in Tulsa is strong due to Oil and Gas as well as a lot of financial services firms have regional offices there (not sure why)

I have a friend who went to Tech for undergrad. Had the time of his life. But I personally would hate it there. There are people on TLS who will tell you that Tech places all over Texas. This is exaggerated. Please don't go to either school thinking you can leave the vicinity. West Texas/new Mexico for Tech. Tulsa for Tulsa. If you do really well at either you may have a shot at Dallas. *shudder* we houstonians don't like Dallas :p

TLDR

You need to research and reevaluate your options.

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:40 am

Jwb0711 wrote:Kalvano is absolutely right.

There was nothing wrong with your post... Up to the returning to California part. The chance of that happening is incredibly unlikely... At least initially.

Did you try for Chapman? I've heard positive things about the school.. Especially if you want SoCal.

I'm from Houston and did two years of college in Tulsa. People in Tulsa think TU is like Harvard. I had never heard of it until I got to Oklahoma... Haha. But hey, maybe I'm uninformed. The economy in Tulsa is strong due to Oil and Gas as well as a lot of financial services firms have regional offices there (not sure why)

I have a friend who went to Tech for undergrad. Had the time of his life. But I personally would hate it there. There are people on TLS who will tell you that Tech places all over Texas. This is exaggerated. Please don't go to either school thinking you can leave the vicinity. West Texas/new Mexico for Tech. Tulsa for Tulsa. If you do really well at either you may have a shot at Dallas. *shudder* we houstonians don't like Dallas :p

TLDR

If you want to practice in California, then it would be smarter to go to a school in California

Tech DOES place throughout the state, just not as well for Biglaw as UH or SMU in their respective markets. There are people on TLS that will tell you this is exaggerated, but they are usually only thinking in terms of Biglaw. I am a 2l at Tech and can tell you we place most of our graduates in Dallas, Lubbock, Austin, Houston, and Fort Worth (I think that is the respective order). However, your options for california would be vastly improved by attending a school closer to California. So you have to determine if that extra money would be worth not being able to be in California for a couple years after graduation, which it may very well be.

tigger22

Postby tigger22 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:19 am

Let's forget about the California part.
I don't plan to go to either school to come back here unless, of course, I am unemployed after graduation. (shrug)

Let's just discuss plain Tulsa vs Tech :)

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:25 am

tigger22 wrote:Let's forget about the California part.
I don't plan to go to either school to come back here unless, of course, I am unemployed after graduation. (shrug)

Let's just discuss plain Tulsa vs Tech :)

Chances are high at both schools that you will be unemployed after graduation. At Tech, you have no real 'home' market. Tech places a vast majority of its grads in West Texas, which is TTT IMHO, but others love it. Tulsa places decently well in the city of Tulsa, and horribly everywhere else. Tech is arguably only the 5th best school in the state. Tulsa is the second best school in its state, but Oklahoma has 1/10th the population of Texas.

In the end, it's professional school, not vacation school. Your aim is to get a job. If you want to work in West Texas, go to Tech. If you want to work in Tulsa (or more likely open up your own shop in Broken Arrow and fend for the scraps of family law), go to Tulsa.

tigger22

Postby tigger22 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:02 am

patrickd139 wrote:In the end, it's professional school, not vacation school. Your aim is to get a job. If you want to work in West Texas, go to Tech. If you want to work in Tulsa (or more likely open up your own shop in Broken Arrow and fend for the scraps of family law), go to Tulsa.

I am worried about the job prospects, and that's why I am being extremely debt adverse.

Out of total curiosity, If you want to open your own shop then does it even matter which school you attend or where you practice for that matter? Other than you have to take the state bar where you want to practice.

Jwb0711

Postby Jwb0711 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:30 am

b.gump81 wrote:

TLDR

If you want to practice in California, then it would be smarter to go to a school in California

Tech DOES place throughout the state, just not as well for Biglaw as UH or SMU in their respective markets. There are people on TLS that will tell you this is exaggerated, but they are usually only thinking in terms of Biglaw. I am a 2l at Tech and can tell you we place most of our graduates in Dallas, Lubbock, Austin, Houston, and Fort Worth (I think that is the respective order). However, your options for california would be vastly improved by attending a school closer to California. So you have to determine if that extra money would be worth not being able to be in California for a couple years after graduation, which it may very well be.

Yeah... Says the student from Texas Tech.

Please please please do not go to Tech thinking you will get a job in Houston. Such a mistake. Dallas/FW probably if you do well.

Tulsa is a nice place FWIW. Tulsa/Jenks/broken arrow metro area has about 1 mil people.

That being said in terms of getting a job... Texas Tech is better. But I would choose Tulsa personally because I do not like any the "markets" Tech shoots for.

Go to South Texas if you are ok with Houston.

ineptimusprime

Postby ineptimusprime » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:40 am

What are the stipulations on your scholarship at Tulsa? I also got the out-of-state waiver at Tech. If you just got $1,000, the only stipulation to keep it is "good standing," meaning you won't have to worry about class rank to keep it. That's definitely something to consider.

I'd also assume the lay prestige of Tech is greater than Tulsa in most parts of the country, but that's just an assumption.

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:59 am

Jwb0711 wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:

TLDR

Please please please do not go to Tech thinking you will get a job in Houston. Such a mistake. Dallas/FW probably if you do well.

Tulsa is a nice place FWIW. Tulsa/Jenks/broken arrow metro area has about 1 mil people.

That being said in terms of getting a job... Texas Tech is better. But I would choose Tulsa personally because I do not like any the "markets" Tech shoots for.

Are you suggesting I have some sort of hidden agenda? If so, you're completely mistaken. As a student at the school I am talking about, doesn't that give me more insight than you? And saying I'm biased doesn't change the fact I know hundreds more tech graduates than you do, have contact with the career services office, and have seen the facts about tech placement throughout the state. Say what you want, but you really don't know what you're talking about when it comes to tech placement: you're just repeating what you have read on here. This site is geared a lot towards biglaw, so when someone says, "tech is largely restricted to west Texas market unless you are top 10%" (which is not true anymore, as tech reaches Dallas), they mean biglaw. A tech grad can go throughout the state for non-biglaw, including Houston. Now, to reach some compromise with you, if a student is dead set on Houston, then yeah stcl may be the better choice, but it will most likely cost more and may not place as well if the student doesn't get decent class rank

Jwb0711

Postby Jwb0711 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:45 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
Jwb0711 wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:

TLDR

Are you suggesting I have some sort of hidden agenda? If so, you're completely mistaken. As a student at the school I am talking about, doesn't that give me more insight than you? And saying I'm biased doesn't change the fact I know hundreds more tech graduates than you do, have contact with the career services office, and have seen the facts about tech placement throughout the state. Say what you want, but you really don't know what you're talking about when it comes to tech placement: you're just repeating what you have read on here. This site is geared a lot towards biglaw, so when someone says, "tech is largely restricted to west Texas market unless you are top 10%" (which is not true anymore, as tech reaches Dallas), they mean biglaw. A tech grad can go throughout the state for non-biglaw, including Houston. Now, to reach some compromise with you, if a student is dead set on Houston, then yeah stcl may be the better choice, but it will most likely cost more and may not place as well if the student doesn't get decent class rank

Umad? That's a nice speech man, did your career services teach it to you?

I don't want to derail this thread for the OP.

OP big law or not do not go to Tech thinking you can go anywhere in Texas.
What our 2L friend fails to tell you is that people who go to Tech law and end up in Houston or Austin generally do so because of prior ties. I am not talking about big law.

I didnt say Tech law is bad. But there is this myth that it is so pro it places all over Texas.

I texted my friend who is a ADA for Ft. Bend county and told him what you said about Tech taking you all over Texas. His reply?

"lol"

That sums it up for the OP.

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Jwb0711 wrote:
What our 2L friend fails to tell you is that people who go to Tech law and end up in Houston or Austin generally do so because of prior ties. I am not talking about big law.

I didnt say Tech law is bad. But there is this myth that it is so pro it places all over Texas.

I texted my friend who is a ADA for Ft. Bend county and told him what you said about Tech taking you all over Texas. His reply?

"lol"

Cool story bro. Can you tell it again? Seriously though Tech isn't that bad in terms of job prospects. I know Tech law grads who have set up all across Texas, but the lack of big law success is a little worrisome to me personally. Also remember OP that this site is very elitist when it comes to choosing a law school. The only real difference between law schools is they offer different starting job prospects after that its all about how your abilities are that ultimately determine your success in this career. Go to the cheaper of the two when you factor in CoL.

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Jwb0711 wrote:

"lol"

that is a cool story. so "pro."

i texted all my ADA friends too about your post, because we all know they are the definitive authority of law school placement. my friend in galveston county said, "lmfao." the friend in montgomery county said, "lolz." and the one in harris county said, "omg wtf." so i hope that sums up everything for the OP.

but seriously, i just did a quick look on the Texas State Bar webpage. There are 10+ tech grads in the Harris County DA office. I then did one for Montgomery County and Galveston County and found some there. I quit after that. Again that is just the DA offices, so there are tons more in Houston and surrounding counties not working for a district attorney's office. But it may be beneficial if you do your own search. You can do an advanced search by region and law school. If you do actually do a search, please let me know how many tech grads you find in Houston. Did they have connections to Houston before law school? Maybe (but who really cares). Most people from any school go back to the places where they already have connections, so I'm not really sure what you were trying to get across there. And whether they do or not isn't something I think you would really know anyways, because you have even stated in other posts that you don't know any tech grads. op, what our 0L friend failed to mention is that he is making things up.

"lol"

ps- and no i'm not mad...this is kind of funny actually, and i honestly do hope im not coming across as mad or upset. this is good because it is giving me a chance to illustrate the misperception about tech law, and you are the perfect example of the misunderstanding about tech on this website, because you really do have no idea what youre talking about and are just relying on posts you have read by other people on this undoubtedly biglaw biased site.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:19 pm

tigger22 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:In the end, it's professional school, not vacation school. Your aim is to get a job. If you want to work in West Texas, go to Tech. If you want to work in Tulsa (or more likely open up your own shop in Broken Arrow and fend for the scraps of family law), go to Tulsa.

I am worried about the job prospects, and that's why I am being extremely debt adverse.

Out of total curiosity, If you want to open your own shop then does it even matter which school you attend or where you practice for that matter? Other than you have to take the state bar where you want to practice.

If you're worried about job prospects, then either don't attend law school (in which case you can save yourself tens of thousands of dollars in student loans and foregone earnings) in lieu of getting a job in another field, or pick the school that places in the area you want to practice in and hope for the best. If that's West Texas, then go to Tech. If that's Tulsa, go to Tulsa. If you want to practice outside either of those areas, then don't go to either school, and instead, go to a school that places in the area in which you want to practice. Don't ask which school out of Tulsa or Tech will place better in California (or New York or Florida). The answer is neither.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:30 pm

How many years of work experience do you have ? In what field ? Does your work experience relate to your desire to become an attorney ? For example, are you an experienced accountant seeking a career as a tax attorney ? HR person wanting to specialize in employment law ? Health related field seeking to practice law using that knowledge & experience ? Will law school put you in debt or are you financially stable ? What are your numbers (LSAT & LSAC GPA) ? You might be able to get a full tuition scholarship elsewhere.

In short, your posts offer too little information to get the answer that you're seeking, in my opinion.

P.S. If you plan to open your own office, then do you have experience running your own business ?

tigger22

Postby tigger22 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:30 pm

My desire to come back to my home state drew too much attention than it should.
I don't mine staying and working in a different State; it's just that if everything else fail, I would just come back here. That's all.

It goes back to the same question I pondered before I apply to anywhere.
Do I want to go to local forth tier school with considerable amount of scholarship or go to a school that are reasonably priced with a little better prospects, which costs about the same as if I attend the local school with a scholarship. And oh yes, if the local school offers a full tuition scholarship then I'll choose that school in a heartbeat, but that's not in my option.

Back to the basic, maybe I should go where it is cheapest. Shrug.
Thanks guys

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:19 pm

What are your numbers? There is such a thing as being too debt averse.

Ronburgandy2468

Postby Ronburgandy2468 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:25 pm

OP students at Tech rarely transfer. At most, like four do a year.

tigger22

Postby tigger22 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:54 pm

Ronburgandy2468 wrote:OP students at Tech rarely transfer. At most, like four do a year.

I saw that too. I wonder, if that's because they can't or people at Tech like there so much they don't want to leave.

I think same is true for Tulsa.

kalvano wrote:What are your numbers? There is such a thing as being too debt averse.

I'd rather not say it. My numbers are embarrassing to reveal.

Ronburgandy2468

Postby Ronburgandy2468 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:44 am

tigger22 wrote:
Ronburgandy2468 wrote:OP students at Tech rarely transfer. At most, like four do a year.

I saw that too. I wonder, if that's because they can't or people at Tech like there so much they don't want to leave.

I think same is true for Tulsa.

kalvano wrote:What are your numbers? There is such a thing as being too debt averse.

I'd rather not say it. My numbers are embarrassing to reveal.

I would say a combination of both.
Xfering to SMU after 1L is pointless. UT-Austin requires a "special circumstance" + ridiculously high grades to xfer. Idk about UH, but I assume the situation is similar to that of SMU. If you want to Xfer out of TX, well idk, I don't think TTU students have many options open in that regard.

On the other hand, many that I have talked to, really seemed to like TTU (and wanted to stay). So, I guess the school satisfaction plays a role in this as well.

texas man

Postby texas man » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:53 am

patrickd139 wrote: Tech places a vast majority of its grads in West Texas

This is simply not true. Most Tech grads end up in Dallas/Fort Worth. For the Class of 2010, the top 5 cities where Tech grads went were 1) Dallas, 2) Austin, 3) Houston, 4) Amarillo, and 5) Fort Worth. Dean Perez references the top three in his thread where he is taking questions.

Also, b.gump81 is correct that, on this site, people persistently conflate biglaw with legal employment (that is, employment with bar passage as a prerequisite).

In terms of employment statistics, here are statistics from the class of 2010: http://www.law.ttu.edu/prospective/admissions/faq/

The State Bar website also has attorney statistical profiles by county where you can see how many attorneys work in each county by school: http://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Demographic_and_Economic_Trends

Also, for what it's worth, in the upcoming summer (after my 2L year), I'll be working in Austin for the first half, and I need to decide (relatively soon) whether I will work at a small firm in Austin or a small firm in Houston for the second half (I'll probably choose Houston because, considering my interests, the firm seems like a better fit).

tigger22 wrote: I saw that too. I wonder, if that's because they can't or people at Tech like there so much they don't want to leave.

I think the vast majority really like it. Also, most people in the position to transfer don't seriously think about it because they are at the top of their class (top 10-15%), there's a good chance they're on law review or a journal, and maybe they've taken an interest in the advocacy program, clinics, etc.; if they transfer, there's a good chance they will give these advantages up. After you've planted your feet somewhere (law school!) for a year and been very successful, it's a tough choice to pick everything up and establish yourself again.

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:47 pm

texas man wrote:This is simply not true. Most Tech grads end up in Dallas/Fort Worth. For the Class of 2010, the top 5 cities where Tech grads went were 1) Dallas, 2) Austin, 3) Houston, 4) Amarillo, and 5) Fort Worth. Dean Perez references the top three in his thread where he is taking questions.

Also, b.gump81 is correct that, on this site, people persistently conflate biglaw with legal employment (that is, employment with bar passage as a prerequisite).

TLS's emphasis on biglaw is reasonable. Of private practitioners in Texas, 60% are either solo practitioners or in small firms (2-5 attorneys). Solo practice is generally not wise for a new grad, and small firms don't generally hire new grads. After that, 19% of all private practitioners are in firms with 41+ attorneys. Those three firm categories (solo, 2-5 attorneys, 41+ attorneys) account for nearly 80% of all private practitioners in the state. The emphasis on biglaw, while certainly flawed, is generally reasonable. Note, the distribution of attorneys by firm size skews in favor of big law once you only take the major metro areas into consideration (i.e., the five cities where Tech grads end up).

In terms of employment statistics, here are statistics from the class of 2010: http://www.law.ttu.edu/prospective/admissions/faq/

I'm not sure what to make of that data without more context. Salary data would be nice, but employer type broken down by size of employer would be even nicer. Regardless, if Tech's employment outcomes are really as strong as that data suggests, why does Tech continue to withhold employment data from USNWR? I hate USNWR. I am not suggesting it is a good data clearinghouse, but it is at least a data clearinghouse. Tech's self-published data would be a lot more trustworthy if Tech was releasing that data to an outside clearinghouse.

The LST Policy Director posting in the Dean Perez thread also raised some very valid concerns about Tech's employment data. Dean Perez, unfortunately, declined to address those concerns.

Also, for what it's worth, in the upcoming summer (after my 2L year), I'll be working in Austin for the first half, and I need to decide (relatively soon) whether I will work at a small firm in Austin or a small firm in Houston for the second half (I'll probably choose Houston because, considering my interests, the firm seems like a better fit).

It would help these 0L's if you could provide more context. What type of employment is your first-half employment? Second-half? Your class rank? LR/Moot Court? How did you land these job offers (OCI/OCS/mass mail/fair)? Were these your first choice jobs or were there other jobs you applied for you would have taken over the these job offers? Likelihood of permanent employment from either of these employers? Market pay? Please don't out yourself, but, if you can, provide these 0L's with relevant information that better informs them.

Jwb0711

Postby Jwb0711 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:35 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
Jwb0711 wrote:

"lol"

that is a cool story. so "pro."

i texted all my ADA friends too about your post, because we all know they are the definitive authority of law school placement. my friend in galveston county said, "lmfao." the friend in montgomery county said, "lolz." and the one in harris county said, "omg wtf." so i hope that sums up everything for the OP.

but seriously, i just did a quick look on the Texas State Bar webpage. There are 10+ tech grads in the Harris County DA office. I then did one for Montgomery County and Galveston County and found some there. I quit after that. Again that is just the DA offices, so there are tons more in Houston and surrounding counties not working for a district attorney's office. But it may be beneficial if you do your own search. You can do an advanced search by region and law school. If you do actually do a search, please let me know how many tech grads you find in Houston. Did they have connections to Houston before law school? Maybe (but who really cares). Most people from any school go back to the places where they already have connections, so I'm not really sure what you were trying to get across there. And whether they do or not isn't something I think you would really know anyways, because you have even stated in other posts that you don't know any tech grads. op, what our 0L friend failed to mention is that he is making things up.

"lol"

ps- and no i'm not mad...this is kind of funny actually, and i honestly do hope im not coming across as mad or upset. this is good because it is giving me a chance to illustrate the misperception about tech law, and you are the perfect example of the misunderstanding about tech on this website, because you really do have no idea what youre talking about and are just relying on posts you have read by other people on this undoubtedly biglaw biased site.

Lol. I don't even know where to start. I don't want to turn this thread into a flame war. I will just say the first part of your post is complete BS. Don't expect anyone to believe that you actually know any ADA's at all after your childish tone.

For the second part of your post. Why do ties matter?? Because the OP is not from Texas. He does not have ties to Houston... or Austin... or San Antonio. That's the problem. You are saying that a Californian could come to Texas Tech and go anywhere in Texas... maybe you are right. Maybe you aren't. There is no hard evidence that Tech does well in Houston... if you look up Lawyers by county in Texas... Tech is not well represented in Harris County.

I want to be clear. I am not saying Texas Tech is a bad school, it is probably one of the better investments. I had not even considered a stipulation on the Tulsa scholarship... in that case i would probably chose Tech. I even considered even going there as a TX resident. Tech makes fine litigators from what I am told. I will give you credit... you are right I do not know one single Tech Law grad. But that is corporate stuff that I was involved in (BakerBotts, Big 4 Accounting Tax). None of any friends/acquaintances (that work for small law) that I know who are lawyers are from Tech or have Tech Law grads working for them. That was a big sign for me, that maybe Tech is not so smart for Houston. ( I have since decided I don't want to really end up in Texas anyway)

If you are able to go to Texas Tech b.gump81 and end up in Houston more power to you.

OP-I, along with several others in this thread still recommend against it. I am not big law biased... I am not T14 or bust. I am not saying Texas Tech is a bad school. I am saying it would be unwise to believe the mystique that Texas Tech Law tries to portray that they have amazing employment all over Texas. It is a regional school. You should be ok with working in West Texas.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”