Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vivian3909
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby vivian3909 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:59 am

There's a 3.0 gpa stip for the scholly at GGU. I know about curves and such but there's no guarantee that I wouldn't be able to make it right? Perhaps that's why Mich accepted me. Perhaps Trelawney saw how great of a law student I would be in the tea leaves.
Last edited by vivian3909 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby 071816 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:00 am

vivian3909 wrote:Thing is: Golden Gate U: full scholarship+ in my home city where I can stay with family for free

Michigan: thousands of miles away and nice scholarship but still 40k a year w/ room and board

I'm losing hair over this so...what do you think?


Are you high?

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:01 am

Epic flame. Great job OP.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby NYC Law » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:02 am

vivian3909 wrote:There's a 3.0 gpa stip for the scholly at GGU. I know about curves and such but there's no guarantee that I wouldn't be able to make it right? Perhaps that's why Mich accepted me. Perhaps Trelawney saw how great of a law student I would be in the tea leaves.



All it takes is one professor to decide you wrote an exam that isn't better than half the class and you'd be in danger of losing the scholarship.


Nelson wrote:Epic flame. Great job OP.


You have very low standards.

vivian3909
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby vivian3909 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:06 am

Right, I get what everyone is saying but I'm just saying, if I do well, I might become a lawyer with no debt. If I don't do well, I'll go do something else with no debt. Also, Mich is awesome but no one seems to know that its a good school outside of the law profession. Might need some convincing to let my family know its a good choice.

NYC Law wrote:
vivian3909 wrote:There's a 3.0 gpa stip for the scholly at GGU. I know about curves and such but there's no guarantee that I wouldn't be able to make it right? Perhaps that's why Mich accepted me. Perhaps Trelawney saw how great of a law student I would be in the tea leaves.



All it takes is one professor to decide you wrote an exam that isn't better than half the class and you'd be in danger of losing the scholarship.


Nelson wrote:Epic flame. Great job OP.


You have very low standards.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:07 am

NYC Law wrote:
Nelson wrote:Epic flame. Great job OP.


You have very low standards.

It shows that classic TLS flames will still blow up instantaneously with regulars rushing in to post. I appreciate a strong grasp of flame fundamentals.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby 071816 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 am

vivian3909 wrote:Right, I get what everyone is saying but I'm just saying, if I do well, I might become a lawyer with no debt. If I don't do well, I'll go do something else with no debt. Also, Mich is awesome but no one seems to know that its a good school outside of the law profession. Might need some convincing to let my family know its a good choice.


Everyone who matters (especially regarding hiring) knows Michigan is an excellent law school and GGU is a toilet bowl. Don't listen to what your family says.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby sunynp » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:11 am

OP - I think you should not go to law school at all. I think that you don't really want to be a lawyer, or care if you ever practice. If you are just going to law school because you can't think of anything else to do, then you need to reconsider this whole plan.

Also - you need to consider that you won't do well at the supposedly "free" school and lose the scholarship. What will you do then? Just because you got into Michigan doesn't mean that you will be above 3.0 at that terrible school.

You seem extremely naive about many aspects of law school. Your family isn't going to Michigan, you are. And you still have other options, this isn't a one or the other choice.
Last edited by sunynp on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

vivian3909
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby vivian3909 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:14 am

I am very interested in law. I'm hoping I would win the lottery so I could afford Mich.

sunynp wrote:OP - I think you should not go to law school at all. I think that you don't really want to be a lawyer, or care if you ever practice. If you are just going to law school because you can't think of anything else to do, then you need to reconsider this whole plan.

Also - you need to consider that you won't do well at the supposedly "free" school and lose the scholarship. What will you do then?

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby sunynp » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:18 am

Holy crap, how many times do you need to be told that the choice doesn't have to be between Michigan and a terrible, terrible school. Your family may not understand how good Michigan is, but they sure as hell don't understand how terrible GGU is, and neither do you.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7664
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:23 am

There is no possible way you can get into Michigan and not get into Hastings or Davis. How in the world are these the only two options?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:25 am

worldtraveler wrote:There is no possible way you can get into Michigan and not get into Hastings or Davis. How in the world are these the only two options?


Eh, I could it see it happening to something like a 3.0/170.

vivian3909
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby vivian3909 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:26 am

Well, believe it or not, WAITLISTED at Hastings. Davis hasn't come back yet.

worldtraveler wrote:There is no possible way you can get into Michigan and not get into Hastings or Davis. How in the world are these the only two options?

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby NYC Law » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:26 am

GGU
  • 95% chance you won't do well enough for a decent job that will lead to anything
  • Will have wasted 3 years of life
  • No debt, but no job, and now you're 25-26 looking for a new career
  • Black mark on your resume of a JD from a shitty school, people will assume you aren't very bright, are a flight risk, and have a terrible lawyer personality
  • School is in an AWFUL legal market, making the above problems even worse
  • Will most likely end up having to take a job in the restaurant or retail industry

Michigan
  • 80% chance or so of finding something decent
  • You still have a scholarship...
  • Should be able to carry you back to CA
  • YOUR DEBT WILL BE GONE IN 10 YEARS ANYWAY, I DONT SEE HOW THIS IS SUCH A PROBLEM
  • Even if you decide not to do law, you can take any job at all in the public sector and the debt will go away after 10 years
  • If you decide not to do law, most employers will at least understand U Mich is a very good school, and will be more open to hiring you


I spelled it out as clearly as I possibly can. If you choose GGU, god help you. You will regret it, but you will have no one to blame but yourself.

vivian3909
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby vivian3909 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:28 am

3.7+ GPA 170+ LSAT and no, I don't know what happened.

bk1 wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:There is no possible way you can get into Michigan and not get into Hastings or Davis. How in the world are these the only two options?


Eh, I could it see it happening to something like a 3.0/170.

User avatar
MachineLemon
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby MachineLemon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:30 am

Image

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18410
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:30 am

vivian3909 wrote:3.7+ GPA 170+ LSAT and no, I don't know what happened.

bk1 wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:There is no possible way you can get into Michigan and not get into Hastings or Davis. How in the world are these the only two options?


Eh, I could it see it happening to something like a 3.0/170.


Applying late didn't help, but it might just be yield protection (where lower ranked schools waitlist people with good numbers since they know they won't attend anyway and admitting them hurts their selectivity rating).

I would e-mail Hastings and let them know your situation.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby NYC Law » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:32 am

Well I don't think this is a flame. If it is, it's been in the making for some time.

You have very good numbers and probably just got YP-ed at Hastings.

You also should have applied to more schools (UCLA, USC, etc), you just have TTTTs and a couple reaches (Stanford, Duke).

Just wait a cycle, clear your mind, try to convince Hastings that you really want to go there, and do some research on other better schools that may at least offer you more money.

vivian3909
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby vivian3909 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:36 am

I'm a little upset if they actually waitlist people for having good stats. By this time, they probably don't have much money left.

NYC Law wrote:Well I don't think this is a flame. If it is, it's been in the making for some time.

You have very good numbers and probably just got YP-ed at Hastings.

You also should have applied to more schools (UCLA, USC, etc), you just have TTTTs and a couple reaches (Stanford, Duke).

Just wait a cycle, clear your mind, try to convince Hastings that you really want to go there, and do some research on other better schools that may at least offer you more money.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby Lincoln » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:40 am

I changed my mind: go to GGU.

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby splitbrain » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:43 am

Image

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby sunynp » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:58 am

One final note to OP: at least read the new York times article about golden gate and how they notoriously game the scholarships like the one you feel so lucky to have. It made national news. Pay particular attention to the remarks made by the Dean. She doesn't e en attempt to deny that they give more scholarships out than the number of 3.0 slots under the curve. They know statistically that a number of students will lose the scholarship due to being below 3.0. They plan it that way and don't care. Im having trouble linking the article, but you can find it easily through google.

You are making a faulty assumption if you expect to graduate from GGU with no debt. You have to account for the possibility you lose the scholarship and you are stuck with your choice. You won't be able to transfer. So will you end up in debt anyway.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby sunynp » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:01 am

vivian3909 wrote:I'm a little upset if they actually waitlist people for having good stats. By this time, they probably don't have much money left.

NYC Law wrote:Well I don't think this is a flame. If it is, it's been in the making for some time.

You have very good numbers and probably just got YP-ed at Hastings.

You also should have applied to more schools (UCLA, USC, etc), you just have TTTTs and a couple reaches (Stanford, Duke).

Just wait a cycle, clear your mind, try to convince Hastings that you really want to go there, and do some research on other better schools that may at least offer you more money.

See, that you don't know about yield protection is yet another example of how much you still need to learn about law school admissions.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby mattviphky » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:28 am

vivian3909 wrote:Right, I get what everyone is saying but I'm just saying, if I do well, I might become a lawyer with no debt. If I don't do well, I'll go do something else with no debt. Also, Mich is awesome but no one seems to know that its a good school outside of the law profession. Might need some convincing to let my family know its a good choice.


Do you plan on being hired by someone who isn't in the law profession? Also, you're from California, Michigan probably doesn't seem that impressive. I'm from the Midwest. Stanford seems really cool, and USC used to have a good football team. Other than that, the state schools and the state itself is crumbling. See, it's regional perspective.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby 071816 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:00 am

mattviphky wrote:
vivian3909 wrote:Right, I get what everyone is saying but I'm just saying, if I do well, I might become a lawyer with no debt. If I don't do well, I'll go do something else with no debt. Also, Mich is awesome but no one seems to know that its a good school outside of the law profession. Might need some convincing to let my family know its a good choice.


Do you plan on being hired by someone who isn't in the law profession? Also, you're from California, Michigan probably doesn't seem that impressive. I'm from the Midwest. Stanford seems really cool, and USC used to have a good football team. Other than that, the state schools and the state itself is crumbling. See, it's regional perspective.


USC's football team is still pretty damn good.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests