Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vivian3909

Re: Choosing Tier 4 over t14. Should I do it?

Postby vivian3909 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:59 am

There's a 3.0 gpa stip for the scholly at GGU. I know about curves and such but there's no guarantee that I wouldn't be able to make it right? Perhaps that's why Mich accepted me. Perhaps Trelawney saw how great of a law student I would be in the tea leaves.
Last edited by vivian3909 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 071816 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:00 am

vivian3909 wrote:Thing is: Golden Gate U: full scholarship+ in my home city where I can stay with family for free

Michigan: thousands of miles away and nice scholarship but still 40k a year w/ room and board

I'm losing hair over this so...what do you think?

Are you high?

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:01 am

Epic flame. Great job OP.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:02 am

vivian3909 wrote:There's a 3.0 gpa stip for the scholly at GGU. I know about curves and such but there's no guarantee that I wouldn't be able to make it right? Perhaps that's why Mich accepted me. Perhaps Trelawney saw how great of a law student I would be in the tea leaves.

All it takes is one professor to decide you wrote an exam that isn't better than half the class and you'd be in danger of losing the scholarship.

Nelson wrote:Epic flame. Great job OP.

You have very low standards.

vivian3909

Postby vivian3909 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:06 am

Right, I get what everyone is saying but I'm just saying, if I do well, I might become a lawyer with no debt. If I don't do well, I'll go do something else with no debt. Also, Mich is awesome but no one seems to know that its a good school outside of the law profession. Might need some convincing to let my family know its a good choice.

NYC Law wrote:
vivian3909 wrote:There's a 3.0 gpa stip for the scholly at GGU. I know about curves and such but there's no guarantee that I wouldn't be able to make it right? Perhaps that's why Mich accepted me. Perhaps Trelawney saw how great of a law student I would be in the tea leaves.

All it takes is one professor to decide you wrote an exam that isn't better than half the class and you'd be in danger of losing the scholarship.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:07 am

NYC Law wrote:

It shows that classic TLS flames will still blow up instantaneously with regulars rushing in to post. I appreciate a strong grasp of flame fundamentals.

Postby 071816 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 am

vivian3909 wrote:Right, I get what everyone is saying but I'm just saying, if I do well, I might become a lawyer with no debt. If I don't do well, I'll go do something else with no debt. Also, Mich is awesome but no one seems to know that its a good school outside of the law profession. Might need some convincing to let my family know its a good choice.

Everyone who matters (especially regarding hiring) knows Michigan is an excellent law school and GGU is a toilet bowl. Don't listen to what your family says.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:11 am

OP - I think you should not go to law school at all. I think that you don't really want to be a lawyer, or care if you ever practice. If you are just going to law school because you can't think of anything else to do, then you need to reconsider this whole plan.

Also - you need to consider that you won't do well at the supposedly "free" school and lose the scholarship. What will you do then? Just because you got into Michigan doesn't mean that you will be above 3.0 at that terrible school.

You seem extremely naive about many aspects of law school. Your family isn't going to Michigan, you are. And you still have other options, this isn't a one or the other choice.
Last edited by sunynp on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

vivian3909

Postby vivian3909 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:14 am

I am very interested in law. I'm hoping I would win the lottery so I could afford Mich.

sunynp wrote:OP - I think you should not go to law school at all. I think that you don't really want to be a lawyer, or care if you ever practice. If you are just going to law school because you can't think of anything else to do, then you need to reconsider this whole plan.

Also - you need to consider that you won't do well at the supposedly "free" school and lose the scholarship. What will you do then?

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:18 am

Holy crap, how many times do you need to be told that the choice doesn't have to be between Michigan and a terrible, terrible school. Your family may not understand how good Michigan is, but they sure as hell don't understand how terrible GGU is, and neither do you.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:23 am

There is no possible way you can get into Michigan and not get into Hastings or Davis. How in the world are these the only two options?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:25 am

worldtraveler wrote:There is no possible way you can get into Michigan and not get into Hastings or Davis. How in the world are these the only two options?

Eh, I could it see it happening to something like a 3.0/170.

vivian3909

Postby vivian3909 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:26 am

Well, believe it or not, WAITLISTED at Hastings. Davis hasn't come back yet.

worldtraveler wrote:There is no possible way you can get into Michigan and not get into Hastings or Davis. How in the world are these the only two options?

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:26 am

GGU
  • 95% chance you won't do well enough for a decent job that will lead to anything
  • Will have wasted 3 years of life
  • No debt, but no job, and now you're 25-26 looking for a new career
  • Black mark on your resume of a JD from a shitty school, people will assume you aren't very bright, are a flight risk, and have a terrible lawyer personality
  • School is in an AWFUL legal market, making the above problems even worse
  • Will most likely end up having to take a job in the restaurant or retail industry

Michigan
  • 80% chance or so of finding something decent
  • You still have a scholarship...
  • Should be able to carry you back to CA
  • YOUR DEBT WILL BE GONE IN 10 YEARS ANYWAY, I DONT SEE HOW THIS IS SUCH A PROBLEM
  • Even if you decide not to do law, you can take any job at all in the public sector and the debt will go away after 10 years
  • If you decide not to do law, most employers will at least understand U Mich is a very good school, and will be more open to hiring you

I spelled it out as clearly as I possibly can. If you choose GGU, god help you. You will regret it, but you will have no one to blame but yourself.

vivian3909

Postby vivian3909 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:28 am

3.7+ GPA 170+ LSAT and no, I don't know what happened.

bk1 wrote:

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:30 am

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:30 am

vivian3909 wrote:3.7+ GPA 170+ LSAT and no, I don't know what happened.

bk1 wrote:

Applying late didn't help, but it might just be yield protection (where lower ranked schools waitlist people with good numbers since they know they won't attend anyway and admitting them hurts their selectivity rating).

I would e-mail Hastings and let them know your situation.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:32 am

Well I don't think this is a flame. If it is, it's been in the making for some time.

You have very good numbers and probably just got YP-ed at Hastings.

You also should have applied to more schools (UCLA, USC, etc), you just have TTTTs and a couple reaches (Stanford, Duke).

Just wait a cycle, clear your mind, try to convince Hastings that you really want to go there, and do some research on other better schools that may at least offer you more money.

vivian3909

Postby vivian3909 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:36 am

I'm a little upset if they actually waitlist people for having good stats. By this time, they probably don't have much money left.

NYC Law wrote:Well I don't think this is a flame. If it is, it's been in the making for some time.

You also should have applied to more schools (UCLA, USC, etc), you just have TTTTs and a couple reaches (Stanford, Duke).

Just wait a cycle, clear your mind, try to convince Hastings that you really want to go there, and do some research on other better schools that may at least offer you more money.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:40 am

I changed my mind: go to GGU.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:43 am

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:58 am

One final note to OP: at least read the new York times article about golden gate and how they notoriously game the scholarships like the one you feel so lucky to have. It made national news. Pay particular attention to the remarks made by the Dean. She doesn't e en attempt to deny that they give more scholarships out than the number of 3.0 slots under the curve. They know statistically that a number of students will lose the scholarship due to being below 3.0. They plan it that way and don't care. Im having trouble linking the article, but you can find it easily through google.

You are making a faulty assumption if you expect to graduate from GGU with no debt. You have to account for the possibility you lose the scholarship and you are stuck with your choice. You won't be able to transfer. So will you end up in debt anyway.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:01 am

vivian3909 wrote:I'm a little upset if they actually waitlist people for having good stats. By this time, they probably don't have much money left.

NYC Law wrote:Well I don't think this is a flame. If it is, it's been in the making for some time.

See, that you don't know about yield protection is yet another example of how much you still need to learn about law school admissions.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:28 am

vivian3909 wrote:Right, I get what everyone is saying but I'm just saying, if I do well, I might become a lawyer with no debt. If I don't do well, I'll go do something else with no debt. Also, Mich is awesome but no one seems to know that its a good school outside of the law profession. Might need some convincing to let my family know its a good choice.

Do you plan on being hired by someone who isn't in the law profession? Also, you're from California, Michigan probably doesn't seem that impressive. I'm from the Midwest. Stanford seems really cool, and USC used to have a good football team. Other than that, the state schools and the state itself is crumbling. See, it's regional perspective.

Postby 071816 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:00 am

mattviphky wrote:

Do you plan on being hired by someone who isn't in the law profession? Also, you're from California, Michigan probably doesn't seem that impressive. I'm from the Midwest. Stanford seems really cool, and USC used to have a good football team. Other than that, the state schools and the state itself is crumbling. See, it's regional perspective.

USC's football team is still pretty damn good.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”