Decisions decisions!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Decisions decisions!

Postby catwomangirl » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Boalt vs Cornell vs NYU vs Michigan vs UVA

My family is in NYC, still figuring out my schollies etc.

But your feedback according to

1- quality of life
2- placement (if I manage to be top 25%, 50%....I know I'm in danger at the bottom)

My family's on the East Coast, but I'm ready to try something new, and I don't really know which market I want to wind up in.

EDIT: I'm interested in IP as it relates to the arts (copyright etc)

Re: Decisions decisions!

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:51 pm

1) Where do you want to practice?

2) If no solid answer to (1), maybe this will come down to your individual preferences (Rural vs. urban, small vs. large) and the scholarships offered.

3) Cornell only if you're sure of NYC biglaw and get much more $$ than NYU.

Re: Decisions decisions!

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:55 pm

catwomangirl wrote:I don't really know which market I want to wind up in.

You should figure this out. How much are each of these schools going to cost? That is hugely important in deciding between them.

If they are all at sticker (and I don't see how someone could get into all of these schools and not get scholly money), I'd put it down between Boalt and NYU. NYU will give you an edge in NYC over Cornell/UMich/UVA/Boalt. However, Cornell/UMich/UVA don't really open up any markets that you don't already have ties to. On the other hand, Boalt would help you get access to CA if you were interested in working there.

I think it's likely premature to decide between these since I'm assuming you don't have your final scholarship offers from all of them.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”