Decisions, Decisions

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wfudeacons2005

Decisions, Decisions

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:45 pm

Here's my situation...

I go to a top 25 USN national university and hold a 3.43/154. Good extracurriculars - congressional internships, cum laude, extensive experience overseas etc. As I wrote in an addendum, the LSAT is a significant issue for me because I have a documented learning disability has garnered me extra-time on every exam since 7th grade and the LSAC, predictably, rejected my request. So as much as I would like my score to go up, it may be somewhat of an impossibility. I put a lot of effort into studying for the test and I ended up having to cancel once and then got a 154 the second time. It is also worth noting that I am in a somewhat fortunate position in that my parents will be giving me a good bit of financial assistance in paying for law school so while I certainly will have debt, I am hoping that help, coupled with likely going part-time will help stagger/offset costs to the point that it will be fairly minimal. Would prefer to be DC and north but I'm open to whatever gives me the best prospects, which is why I applied to a wide range of places. As someone who has been on here a decent amount recently, I am realistic about the job opportunities I face. Just hope to get out with minimal debt and make a decent living someday.

As of right now I have been admitted to:

DePaul (PT)
Seton Hall (PT)
UMaine
UNH - 7,500k non-renewable grant
St. Mary's - 7,500k per year, top 10% stip
Suffolk (PT)
New England Law (PT) - 20,000k per year, 2.5 stip
Campbell

But, perhaps more importantly, I am wait-listed at:

Rutgers-Newark (PT) - In-State Tuition (mother is an adjunct professor at the law school, father is an undergrad alum so this would be a possibility if I committed to going, I think)
UConn (PT)
American (PT)
Temple (PT)
...and still waiting on USF (PT)

Also, any advice on where to deposit in case I don't hear back from my WLs before April 1 would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by wfudeacons2005 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: Decisions, Decisions

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:50 pm

I'd go to Rutgers if you can get in. You face minimal competition (just the other Rutgers and Seton Hall, neither of which will dominate you), it's super cheap, and it's where you're from.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:54 pm

bk1 wrote:You face minimal competition (just the other Rutgers and Seton Hall, neither of which will dominate you), it's super cheap, and it's where you're from.

I'm not sure where this TLS common knowledge of minimal competition in NJ comes from. The NJ legal market is really saturated for its size (no major cities=no major legal markets). It has three TTs plus all of the people from higher ranked schools who are from NJ and use it as a backup market.

OP you should get some WE before committing to law school.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:56 pm

bk1 wrote:I'd go to Rutgers if you can get in. You face minimal competition (just the other Rutgers and Seton Hall, neither of which will dominate you), it's super cheap, and it's where you're from.

I agree with this, plus I feel your mom teaching there will give you a leg up as she could give you tips and advice

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:01 pm

Nelson wrote:
bk1 wrote:You face minimal competition (just the other Rutgers and Seton Hall, neither of which will dominate you), it's super cheap, and it's where you're from.

I'm not sure where this TLS common knowledge of minimal competition in NJ comes from. The NJ legal market is really saturated for its size (no major cities=no major legal markets). It has three TTs plus all of the people from higher ranked schools who are from NJ and use it as a backup market.

I'm not saying it's a walk in the park, but I think Rutgers is in a better position than schools like the other ones OP listed: DePaul (in an attractive city that has 2 T14's), Suffolk/NELaw (dominated by 2 of the top regional schools, not to mention locals who left for T14's and want to return), American (in a very tough city with tons of schools and dominated by the T14), USF (located next to 2 T14's and in a very desirable city).

At least with Rutgers your school is on even footing with the 2 other schools in the state. You're not going to face a lot of competition with out-of-towners either. And the reasons it's better than something like UNH/UMaine is that it's cheaper (since OP is from NJ), OP has ties to NJ that don't exist in regards to NH/MN, and even if UNH/UMaine have no competition they are markets smaller than even NJ.

wfudeacons2005

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:03 pm

If I do go the Rutgers route any advice on where I should deposit in case they don't get back to me by April 1? I was thinking about trying to negotiate some kind of scholarship from Seton Hall using what I got from other schools so at least I have certainty about where I am going to be geographically.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:05 pm

bk1 wrote:
Nelson wrote:

I'm not saying it's a walk in the park, but I think Rutgers is in a better position than schools like the other ones OP listed: DePaul (in an attractive city that has 2 T14's), Suffolk/NELaw (dominated by 2 of the top regional schools, not to mention locals who left for T14's and want to return), American (in a very tough city with tons of schools and dominated by the T14), USF (located next to 2 T14's and in a very desirable city).

At least with Rutgers your school is on even footing with the 2 other schools in the state. You're not going to face a lot of competition with out-of-towners either. And the reasons it's better than something like UNH/UMaine is that it's cheaper (since OP is from NJ), OP has ties to NJ that don't exist in regards to NH/MN, and even if UNH/UMaine have no competition they are markets smaller than even NJ.

Yeah, you're right it's probably the best option for OP of that list. And at PT it won't be ruinously expensive. But the winning move is not to play.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:06 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote:If I do go the Rutgers route any advice on where I should deposit in case they don't get back to me by April 1? I was thinking about trying to negotiate some kind of scholarship from Seton Hall using what I got from other schools so at least I have certainty about where I am going to be geographically.

Seton Hall probably. Can your current job cover tuition on top of living expenses while you're in school? I wouldn't take on any debt to go to Seton Hall.

wfudeacons2005

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Nelson wrote:
wfudeacons2005 wrote:If I do go the Rutgers route any advice on where I should deposit in case they don't get back to me by April 1? I was thinking about trying to negotiate some kind of scholarship from Seton Hall using what I got from other schools so at least I have certainty about where I am going to be geographically.

Seton Hall probably. Can your current job cover tuition on top of living expenses while you're in school? I wouldn't take on any debt to go to Seton Hall.

I realize there is little to no chance of having a job that covers tuition and living expenses at Seton Hall...or at least one that will allow me to devote any time at all to studying. But again, with my parents aid, working, and tuition being spread over 4 years, I am comfortable with a small amount of debt. And, even if I am not able to negotiate some sort of scholarship with them, I would be depositing fully planning on getting into one of RU (hopefully), UConn, Temple, or American.

wfudeacons2005

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Got into RU-Newark. That effectively rules out the 8 acceptances and 2 of the wait-lists. May hang around on UConn's WL for a bit longer because it's a bit higher ranked and a similarly cost-efficient option after 1L but it certainly looks like RU-N all the way at this point. Thanks for of the advice on this thread...I have looked around here quite a bit these past few months and despite all of the T-14 or you are screwed bashing that goes on, you guys were a real help!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:46 pm

NVM... enjoy Rutgers!

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Gratz!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”