Davis/Hastings/BC/GW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ohcanada

Davis/Hastings/BC/GW

Postby ohcanada » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:35 am

I'm not terribly excited by GW after reading the back and forth on that locked thread. I know there's some old threads about Davis v Hastings but just wondering if anyone had some ideas about BC or experiences with any of these schools. I'm also under review at USC but I'm not holding much hope at this point. I really would like to work for a county, state, or fed but hiring freezes so if anyone know's anything about these schools ability to place in these fields that would be awesome possum. thanks guys

Bronck

Re: Davis/Hastings/BC/GW

Postby Bronck » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:38 am

Do you want to work in the Bay Area, DC or Boston?

Have you received any scholarship money from any of the schools?

ohcanada

Postby ohcanada » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:13 am

We'll they all say something like finical aid information starts coming out in February/March so if one gives like a hefty scholarship that would help. I've basically wanted to work in the public sector all my life for some reason. I'm not married to the Bay Area, I moved a lot growing up(born in Windsor if the screen name helps any) and while I went to college in LA my family moved to the Bay Area. So there's that connection.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:23 am

1. They are all regional schools as Bronck pointed out.

2. Davis/Hastings are peer schools.

3. If you are truly location agnostic it should come down to cost.

4. If cost is close then I'd probably lean towards BC > GW > Davis/Hastings. Mainly because BC/BU don't face much competition in Boston (most Harvard kids leave) whereas GW faces a lot of competition (a lot of law review kids from the T14 gun for DC) and so do Davis/Hastings (overshadowed by Boalt/Stanford, as well as UCLA/USC to a lesser extent). GW over Davis/Hastings since even as competitive and tough as DC is, it's better than CA because the CA market has basically imploded. That being said, see point 4.

5. Gov jobs are going to be tough. Fed are likely going to go to kids coming from more prestigious schools, not to mention that even for them getting a gov job right out of school is very hard and more likely is something you transition to after having worked for a few years. State/local are subject to hiring freezes, though some places have limited hiring. That crosses Davis/Hastings off your list imo since CA has an atrocious economy that severely hurts state/local gov hiring. It then comes down to BC/GW. I think I'd lean towards GW for the ability to intern at the DoJ and other fed agencies during the school year and thus pad your resume with experience.

Final Note: I wouldn't pay take more than 100k, maybe 120k-ish debt for any of these schools.

ohcanada

Postby ohcanada » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:00 am

Thanks this was all pretty helpful

Final Note: I wouldn't pay take more than 100k, maybe 120k-ish debt for any of these schools.
<-- the only thing that helps with this was I had a full scholarship to undergrad, not like I'm expecting a huge scholarship to law school it just feels less overwhelming if that makes any sense. I was actually leaning toward BC because my grandparents live in Newton but again hoping for a scholarship or magically get into USC. Thanks for your input guys.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:19 am

Importance:

1. Location of where you want to work
2. Cost.
3. Placement (BC > GW >D/H)

Postby 20160810 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:45 pm

I faced an almost identical choice (BU/GW/UCD) and picked Davis. I picked Davis largely because I am from California and probably want to work here. Pros: I'm probably going to be working in CA. Cons: With my grades at BU I would have almost certainly ended up in a better job. YMMV. There's not a "right" choice.

ohcanada

Postby ohcanada » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:00 pm

SBL wrote:I faced an almost identical choice (BU/GW/UCD) and picked Davis. I picked Davis largely because I am from California and probably want to work here. Pros: I'm probably going to be working in CA. Cons: With my grades at BU I would have almost certainly ended up in a better job. YMMV. There's not a "right" choice.

How do you like Davis, like are there glaring pros and cons? Whats the atmosphere of the law school and town? Sorry if it sounds like a small child asking you repetitive questions.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:05 am

ohcanada wrote:
SBL wrote:I faced an almost identical choice (BU/GW/UCD) and picked Davis. I picked Davis largely because I am from California and probably want to work here. Pros: I'm probably going to be working in CA. Cons: With my grades at BU I would have almost certainly ended up in a better job. YMMV. There's not a "right" choice.

How do you like Davis, like are there glaring pros and cons? Whats the atmosphere of the law school and town? Sorry if it sounds like a small child asking you repetitive questions.

Cons - you've only got about a 15-20% chance of getting biglaw (at best), so it's not smart to finance the JD entirely with loans if you don't have parents who will help out/savings/something like that. (Plenty of other people get decent jobs, jobs with smaller firms, and so on, but by and large you don't have more than a 15% shot at biglaw. From what I've read on here, this is comparable to GW, but worse than BU where it seems like the top-25% had an OK shot at biglaw.)

Pros - It's a great place to spend 3 years. Fun town. Incredibly nice people. Great professors who go the extra mile to help you out. Great access to the CA market relative to the other schools you mentioned (coming from Davis, the odds are about 95% you'll end up working in CA - in fact, you might not be able to get a job elsewhere. I consider this a pro, considering the other schools might not line you up with a gig here. If you don't care about living here, well, ymmv.) Cheap COL (I pay less than $400/mo.) Plus you'll get to spend your entire career telling people you attended the same hallowed hall of legal education as TLS administrator and general Internet legend SBL. They might not believe you, but it'll be true.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”