WUSTL w/$ vs UF w/$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

WUSTL or UF?

WUSTL with $20,000/year
33%
UF in-state with $9,000/year
67%

Total votes: 24

UMiamiCane

Bronze

WUSTL w/$ vs UF w/$

Post by UMiamiCane » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:31 pm

I was accepted to WUSTL with a $20,00/year scholarship, making the cost of tuition for three years about $75,000.
I was accepted to UF with a $9,000/year scholarship, making the cost of tuition for three years about $36,000 (estimating tuition will go up to $21,000 and stay there).

I live in and own a house in Gainesville with my husband. If I go to UF, I would stay and work in Florida after graduation, but I'm not sure we'll stay in Florida forever.

If I go to WUSTL, I don't know where we'd go after graduation. If we like St. Louis, we would probably stay for a while. If we do move to St. Louis, we would have to pay back the $8,000 home owner tax credit we received for buying our house- so that adds to the total cost.

I want to work in criminal law- more specifically as a prosecutor. Would be open to working for non-profits if I couldn't get a job in criminal law right out of school.

Thanks for your input!

IAFG

Platinum

Re: WUSTL w/$ vs UF w/$

Post by IAFG » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:34 pm

UF and it isn't close. Your FL ties are going to help you get a job; no ties to STL is going to hurt you.

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:55 am

IAFG wrote:UF and it isn't close. Your FL ties are going to help you get a job; no ties to STL is going to hurt you.
Thanks.

I know a degree from WUSTL is more portable-and anywhere outside the Florida, more prestigious- than a degree from UF, which I'm guessing is why some people voted WUSTL. But, if I work in Florida for at least a few years after graduation does my UF degree then become equally as portable out of state?

I'm very tempted by the prestige of WUSTL, but having to spend almost $50,000 more for that is scary.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:47 pm

IAFG wrote:UF and it isn't close. Your FL ties are going to help you get a job; no ties to STL is going to hurt you.
Agreed. The scholarship, in-state tuition, interest in Florida, current ties all point to UF.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:50 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:I know a degree from WUSTL is more portable-and anywhere outside the Florida, more prestigious- than a degree from UF, which I'm guessing is why some people voted WUSTL. But, if I work in Florida for at least a few years after graduation does my UF degree then become equally as portable out of state?
In general, lawyers are probably less portable than other professions. They still move obviously, but once you start to develop a client base and a reputation in your location, you're going to be more likely to stay there. You should think about your long term goals and decide if remaining in Florida is one of them. There is a good chance that if you go to UF, you will begin practice in Florida, and if you begin practice in Florida, there is a good chance you stay in Florida.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:
UMiamiCane wrote:I know a degree from WUSTL is more portable-and anywhere outside the Florida, more prestigious- than a degree from UF, which I'm guessing is why some people voted WUSTL. But, if I work in Florida for at least a few years after graduation does my UF degree then become equally as portable out of state?
In general, lawyers are probably less portable than other professions. They still move obviously, but once you start to develop a client base and a reputation in your location, you're going to be more likely to stay there. You should think about your long term goals and decide if remaining in Florida is one of them. There is a good chance that if you go to UF, you will begin practice in Florida, and if you begin practice in Florida, there is a good chance you stay in Florida.
Also, doesn't Florida have basically no reciprocity with other states?

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Agreed. The scholarship, in-state tuition, interest in Florida, current ties all point to UF.
Thanks.
romothesavior wrote: In general, lawyers are probably less portable than other professions. They still move obviously, but once you start to develop a client base and a reputation in your location, you're going to be more likely to stay there. You should think about your long term goals and decide if remaining in Florida is one of them. There is a good chance that if you go to UF, you will begin practice in Florida, and if you begin practice in Florida, there is a good chance you stay in Florida.
If I go to UF, I would be staying in Florida for at least several years, and would be happy to live here forever. However, I can't say for sure that we won't ever move out of state.
JusticeHarlan wrote:Also, doesn't Florida have basically no reciprocity with other states?
If I do ever leave, I am okay with knowing I would have to pass the bar in another state before even applying for most jobs.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:48 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:If I go to UF, I would be staying in Florida for at least several years, and would be happy to live here forever. However, I can't say for sure that we won't ever move out of state.
No, of course not. And I'm not saying it is impossible, or even that difficult depending on your job. If you did something like PI, government, a really big firm ---> in house counsel, then I'd think relocating would be very doable. But if you go into private practice at a firm and start getting clients and a reputation, you are going to have a very tough time to move because you'd essentially be starting from scratch. Again, not impossible, but it is something to keep in mind.

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:
UMiamiCane wrote:If I go to UF, I would be staying in Florida for at least several years, and would be happy to live here forever. However, I can't say for sure that we won't ever move out of state.
No, of course not. And I'm not saying it is impossible, or even that difficult depending on your job. If you did something like PI, government, a really big firm ---> in house counsel, then I'd think relocating would be very doable. But if you go into private practice at a firm and start getting clients and a reputation, you are going to have a very tough time to move because you'd essentially be starting from scratch. Again, not impossible, but it is something to keep in mind.
Okay that makes sense. And that's good to know because right now I have no interest in private practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”