Rutgers Newark (full ride) vs. American U

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
stevepark309

Rutgers Newark (full ride) vs. American U

Postby stevepark309 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:58 pm

So.. these are the schools I've been accepted to so far. Rutgers Newark and American University. Due to my tour in Iraq and my currently being in the National Guard, I would receive a Tuition waiver to go to Rutgers Newark..

For American University, I would get get 60% off tuition for 2 years and pay the 3rd year full ride. Not sure if i'll obtain any scholarships and such.

So my question to the forum community is, which would you prefer to go to? Thanks in advance

Also. I applied to Cardozo, Fordham, Brooklyn, Santa Clara, Loyola Los Angeles, U Hawaii. If these were on the table as well at full price, would you pick any of them over the options above?

Thanks for the input!

PS. I am unsure what field I will ultimately pursue, but Big law, International Law are my big two. :D

Mr. Somebody

Re: Rutgers Newark (full ride) vs. American U

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Rutgers at full ride over any of the schools you listed unless they also offer full rides. But make sure you're happy with working in NJ and not getting biglaw because that's you're most likely outcome out of Rutgers

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:24 pm

What do you want to do after graduation?

stevepark309

Postby stevepark309 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:11 pm

most likely looking into corporate law. might do some work as a prosecutor to start or head overseas to work w a corporation.

pugilistjd

Postby pugilistjd » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:10 pm

Rutgers places better in its market than American. American gets creamed by the three higher ranked schools in DC not to mention all the T14ers who come to DC.

stevepark309

Postby stevepark309 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:40 pm

3 higher ranked schools? Sorry I only can recall Georgetown and GW. Whats the third school?

I figured DC w all the government there..internships/clerkships would be in abundance compared to the NJ/NY area.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:46 pm

George Mason

flem

Postby flem » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:54 pm

stevepark309 wrote:3 higher ranked schools? Sorry I only can recall Georgetown and GW. Whats the third school?

I figured DC w all the government there..internships/clerkships would be in abundance compared to the NJ/NY area.

They're not hiring right now, and if they were, Georgetown and GW and T14 kids get preference.

Also: http://balkin.blogspot.com/2011/09/sobe ... ho-do.html

American is only placing 59% of its graduates into full time JD required jobs. Fuck. That.

stevepark309

Postby stevepark309 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:44 pm

haha thanks for all the feedback. damn. did not know american was that bad. just saw it was a top 5 for international law and figured it'd be good for that at least.. plus the dc area..hmm..so everyones in agreement to just go to RU for the fullride ?

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:04 am

Mr. Somebody wrote:Rutgers at full ride over any of the schools you listed unless they also offer full rides. But make sure you're happy with working in NJ and not getting biglaw because that's you're most likely outcome out of Rutgers

+1

On a full-ride, Rutgers is the right choice. It's not throwing tons of people into BigLaw, but you'll at least get a job and won't have to worry about paying back 6-figure loan debt (So you won't need BigLaw). It's also one of only 3 schools in NJ, which has tons of people and a Rutgers preference. Just be prepared to work in New Jersey (which may or may not suck terribly depending on your mindset), since most of the class doesn't place in NYC jobs.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”