Why isn't UVA ranked higher? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Tom Joad

Gold

Re: Why isn't UVA ranked higher?

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:46 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Quick edit: ok I would be surprised if they moved up that high but I would predict 7th for sure.
Called it.

lessthanjake

New

Post by lessthanjake » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:29 pm

AlphaCentauri wrote:For the ranking-obsessed, the only ranking that matters is how employers (hiring partners, judges, etc.) perceive law schools. Viewed from this perspective, UVA generally makes it into the top 5-7 schools. If you're getting 105K from UVA and no comparable package from a peer institution, I don't think there can be serious debate about what you should do: Go to UVA! And I have it on good authority (my own experience): you very likely won't regret your choice. Good luck!
I actually ended up getting into Harvard, so unless I get Yale, I'm going there over UVA.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:31 pm

Because Rankings don't matter.

lessthanjake

New

Post by lessthanjake » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:18 am

Stanford4Me wrote:Because Rankings don't matter.
I think that, in a vacuum, they don't matter, but if the rankings are widespread enough then they do end up mattering. If everyone knows the rankings, then the best students will flock to the schools with the best rankings, and if the best students have gone to those schools, then employers will know this and hire more from those "better" schools. Once that happens, the rankings are validated. The USNWR rankings border on being enough public knowledge that they do matter in this way.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:20 am

lessthanjake wrote:
I think that, in a vacuum, they don't matter, but if the rankings are widespread enough then they do end up mattering. If everyone knows the rankings, then the best students will flock to the schools with the best rankings, and if the best students have gone to those schools, then employers will know this and hire more from those "better" schools. Once that happens, the rankings are validated. The USNWR rankings border on being enough public knowledge that they do matter in this way.
I have been thinking about this, and I think your line of reasoning is correct, but I don't think employers reevaluate how they view candidates in light of US News rankings very often, if ever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lessthanjake

New

Post by lessthanjake » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:28 am

Tom Joad wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:
I have been thinking about this, and I think your line of reasoning is correct, but I don't think employers reevaluate how they view candidates in light of US News rankings very often, if ever.
I agree with that, but I think that still fits in with the logic of my previous post. The fluctuations in the rankings each year are not public knowledge. People don't read it every year and memorize the exact rankings. However, I think the general state of the USNWR rankings is somewhat engrained in the public psyche. So, for instance, no employer is going to know or care that Harvard is #3 and Stanford is #2 this year, but they DO care that YHS are well known as the top tier schools.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:58 am

lessthanjake wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:
I agree with that, but I think that still fits in with the logic of my previous post. The fluctuations in the rankings each year are not public knowledge. People don't read it every year and memorize the exact rankings. However, I think the general state of the USNWR rankings is somewhat engrained in the public psyche. So, for instance, no employer is going to know or care that Harvard is #3 and Stanford is #2 this year, but they DO care that YHS are well known as the top tier schools.
They might actually know this lol

Hiring attorney at my work went to Stanford and came up to me when rankings came out and (jokingly) said: "Man I am glad I didnt go to that TTT Harvard where they take such huge classes. Im guessing a #4 next year"

He was obviously joking. But I agree they dont give a shit who is # 1 or 2 or 3, I mean they are such great schools. I just thought it was a funny comment

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”