Texas Tech ($$$) vs U of H

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zanzbar

Texas Tech ($$$) vs U of H

Postby zanzbar » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:39 pm

I have a 17,000 per year scholarship (stipulation is only top 50%) to Texas Tech making it about 5,200 a year in tuition and fees, and cost of living estimate probably about 13,000 for the entire year. Houston I am not really sure I will get any money, but my parents are also being transferred there so as lame as it sounds I could live at home for free. They said they would help me out with law school so I figure a conservative estimate would be they give me about15000 a year. So my tech law degree would leave me less then 10,000 in debt where as Houston is about 40,000.

Also this is not a huge factor, but it also bears mentioning as a possible reason I am having an issue deciding. last semester through a special program I was allowed to take Contracts law with a real 1L section at Tech, and I got an A in the class, and as a result I don't have to take it again. So if I were to enroll in Tech I would just be able to take an elective law class as a replacement. I talked to a professor there and the curve in 2L is more generous so it could possibly give me a somewhat higher advantage in class rank. On the flip side if I went to U of H I already know how to approach Contract Law to an extent.

b.gump81

Re: Texas Tech ($$$) vs U of H

Postby b.gump81 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:21 pm

$40,000 in debt isn't some horrible figure, but it is still $40,000 you wouldn't have to pay if you went to Tech. I think your biggest factor should be where you want to end up and what you want to be doing. If you want Biglaw and are dead set on being in the Houston area, then UH is an easy pick. But if you don't want Biglaw in Houston, then I think taking the deal at Tech would be a better option. Tech can get you to non-houston markets just as easily as UH would, and if you would be coming out with nearly zero debt, you cant beat that in this economy. Plus, having a great head start gives you some sort of confidence about being able to get a high class rank at Tech.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:30 pm

Houston. Its a much better school in a much bigger city. Your employment prospects will be stronger and your overall debt won't be too crushing. Texas Tech was also lambasted a couple of weeks ago for their light-hearted and somewhat inappropriate message to pending applicants.

Ronburgandy2468

Postby Ronburgandy2468 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:33 pm

mrtoren wrote:Houston. Its a much better school in a much bigger city. Your employment prospects will be stronger and your overall debt won't be too crushing. Texas Tech was also lambasted a couple of weeks ago for their light-hearted and somewhat inappropriate message to pending applicants.

What did they say?

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:46 pm

Ronburgandy2468 wrote:What did they say?

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/12/admissio ... aw-school/

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:43 am

Yeah I saw that, but I think the guy who wrote the article is like most bloggers, a douche rambling on a digital soap box.

Ronburgandy2468

Postby Ronburgandy2468 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:49 am

Idk,
I think the editor took an rather extreme approach to the message.
I mean, arguably that is one way of interpreting it...
but I saw it more as a "don't stress out too much about the results because what's done is done" kind of way.

I mean, TTU is very fair about their career opportunities (this comes from my personal experience of speaking with Dean Perez).
Not to mention, the message asks the applicants to keep their mind off the "applications" not the job market.
Though, it's up to an individual to view it as "AVOID THE BOARDS AT ALL COSTS" (personally I don't see it that way, but that's just me).

Also, Elie Mystal, the editor of that article, seems to hold some sort of grudge...
against Texas, or the fact that when he attended law school, things were not "hip"

asdflawyer

Postby asdflawyer » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:51 am

mrtoren wrote:
Ronburgandy2468 wrote:What did they say?

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/12/admissio ... aw-school/

Very surprising.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:04 am

mrtoren wrote:Houston. Its a much better school in a much bigger city. Your employment prospects will be stronger and your overall debt won't be too crushing. Texas Tech was also lambasted a couple of weeks ago for their light-hearted and somewhat inappropriate message to pending applicants.

This should have zero, and I do mean zero effect on this decision.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:12 am

romothesavior wrote:

This should have zero, and I do mean zero effect on this decision.

Agreed, although it speaks to the nature of the school. And yes, that can be widely construed.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:25 am

Houston by far (even if you live with your parents)

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:39 am

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:03 pm

Didn't uh just have some sort of horrible oci?

Jwb0711

Postby Jwb0711 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:13 pm

I'm from Houston. UH hands down.

I know alot of lawyers in this area through work, and family connections. Never met one from Texas Tech. If you go to Texas Tech be ok with working in Midland/Odessa or El Paso or some other God forsaken place.

I also agree that their "status prompt" on their website was very unprofessional.

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:15 pm

Jwb0711 wrote:I'm from Houston. UH hands down.

I know alot of lawyers in this area through work, and family connections. Never met one from Texas Tech. If you go to Texas Tech be ok with working in Midland/Odessa or El Paso or some other God forsaken place.

I also agree that their "status prompt" on their website was very unprofessional.

Most tech graduates end up in Dallas. More go to Houston, Austin, and Fort Worth than Midland or El Paso. In fact, I think each those two cities had not much more than 10 students go there, and I would assume those were by choice (oil and gas, immigration, hometown, etc.)
Last edited by b.gump81 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:30 pm

With a 4.0 GPA & an LSAT score of 160 in addition to your "A" in contracts at Texas Tech, you should request a full tuition & fees scholarship from Texas Tech (instead of the three-quarters) or retake the LSAT since an improvement of just 3 or 4 points should drastically increase your options.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:33 pm

I can't say anything about Texas BigLaw (except that it exists) but I can tell the OP that a Tech degree will generally sell well in the Panhandle, South Plains, and Trans-Pecos areas of Texas as well as the eastern half (at least) of New Mexico.

The only place where I differ from jwb is that, having lived out there, I am not so quick to describe El Paso or Lubbock or Midland/Odessa as "godforsaken". That all depends on the individual's preferences. There's work and there's money. You want to go skiing or take in a Broadway show, that's what time and money can buy.

El Paso, very close to my New Mexico home, is kind of an amazing place.

EDIT: Okay, Midland/Odessa IS godforsaken but there is work there too for the Tech grad.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”