what do you all think of the Vault rankings?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
doomed123
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:05 am

what do you all think of the Vault rankings?

Postby doomed123 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:28 pm

http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/edu ... aw-ranking

It's supposedly based on the feedback of hiring partners, which sounds like a decent idea, but it creates a somewhat odd ranking (Indiana in the T14 -what?).

The blurbs from hiring partners about each school are amusing though. Pretty much every top school has something to the effect of "Kids from this school have no practical knowledge!" Some of my favs:

UVA: "Maybe it's the law school's emphasis on softball and beer, but the lack of work ethic shows in recent grads."

Yale: "Great lawyers if you can get them to focus on real-world business issues instead of how they'd run the country"

Stanford: "Unprepared and uninterested in private practice; entitled"

Berkeley: "Solipsistic"

Harvard: "Often arrogant and think they walk on water even those lower down in the class"

Ouch.

Largo219
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:50 am

Re: what do you all think of the Vault rankings?

Postby Largo219 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:36 pm

You could have ascertained any of that just from the posts people make on TLS...

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: what do you all think of the Vault rankings?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:07 am

The comments are interesting, but IUB in the T14? No way. I'll bet their school is probably emailing this out to students as a PR pitch too.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: what do you all think of the Vault rankings?

Postby johansantana21 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:15 am

Cornell got these comments

"Well prepared"

"Students are not well prepared for the practice of law"

How does this even make sense. Well prepared but not well prepared for the practice of law? Huh?

User avatar
westinghouse60
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:27 am

Re: what do you all think of the Vault rankings?

Postby westinghouse60 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:55 am

johansantana21 wrote:Cornell got these comments

"Well prepared"

"Students are not well prepared for the practice of law"

How does this even make sense. Well prepared but not well prepared for the practice of law? Huh?


Probably written by two different people, who interacted with two different groups of Cornell grads, not one person saying that grads are prepared but not prepared for the practice of law. That being said, it still sounds really strange/unedited to have those contradictory statements right next to each other.

doomed123
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:05 am

Re: what do you all think of the Vault rankings?

Postby doomed123 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:35 am

westinghouse60 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Cornell got these comments

"Well prepared"

"Students are not well prepared for the practice of law"

How does this even make sense. Well prepared but not well prepared for the practice of law? Huh?


Probably written by two different people, who interacted with two different groups of Cornell grads, not one person saying that grads are prepared but not prepared for the practice of law. That being said, it still sounds really strange/unedited to have those contradictory statements right next to each other.


Well, it seems like they put up contradictory statements for practically every top school. I guess they wanted to show both the positive and negative.

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: what do you all think of the Vault rankings?

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:38 am

Am I the only one that had to google "Solipsistic"?

crit_racer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: what do you all think of the Vault rankings?

Postby crit_racer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:46 am

LOL no...I googled it and still don't quite understand what it means haha. Them partners use big words and stuff!

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: what do you all think of the Vault rankings?

Postby TommyK » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:The comments are interesting, but IUB in the T14? No way. I'll bet their school is probably emailing this out to students as a PR pitch too.


Dude, they're comparing the top 7% at IUB with median at Cornell. It's not completely shocking that those top performers probably could have gone to a higher ranked school and are bright and hard workers... and probably are less likely to come off as entitled douchebags.

User avatar
westinghouse60
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:27 am

Re: what do you all think of the Vault rankings?

Postby westinghouse60 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:44 pm

doomed123 wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Cornell got these comments

"Well prepared"

"Students are not well prepared for the practice of law"

How does this even make sense. Well prepared but not well prepared for the practice of law? Huh?


Probably written by two different people, who interacted with two different groups of Cornell grads, not one person saying that grads are prepared but not prepared for the practice of law. That being said, it still sounds really strange/unedited to have those contradictory statements right next to each other.


Well, it seems like they put up contradictory statements for practically every top school. I guess they wanted to show both the positive and negative.


Yeah I guess those two seem the most directly contradictory. Also, which one referred to solipsism? Have heard it in the context of philosophy, can't imagine how it would apply to rating recent law graduates.

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: what do you all think of the Vault rankings?

Postby 062914123 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:50 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PARTY
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: what do you all think of the Vault rankings?

Postby PARTY » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:01 pm

.
Last edited by PARTY on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
smelltheglove
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: what do you all think of the Vault rankings?

Postby smelltheglove » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:48 pm

romothesavior wrote:The comments are interesting, but IUB in the T14? No way. I'll bet their school is probably emailing this out to students as a PR pitch too.


+1

User avatar
smelltheglove
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: what do you all think of the Vault rankings?

Postby smelltheglove » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:50 pm

Also, Yale at 10?

Arro
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:42 pm

Re: what do you all think of the Vault rankings?

Postby Arro » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:54 pm

BU

"Underrated."

"Overrated."




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: almondjoy, Baidu [Spider], mt2165, Thomas Hagan, ESQ. and 3 guests