Columbia/NYU vs UT Austin$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Chfox

Columbia/NYU vs UT Austin$

Postby Chfox » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:28 pm

Last week I got into Columbia, NYU, and UT law with a 3.55 and a 177. While I am incredibly excited about these opportunities, I am nervous about the risk that each one carries.

Columbia and NYU are dream schools, but I'm fairly certain I'll be paying sticker at both. I've had some friends in the legal profession tell me that it would be ludicrous to spend that much on law school, but another acquaintance (granted this is a senior partner at a v50 who graduated 25 years ago) has told me to drop the cash in exchange for the opportunities that these schools provide.

I went to UT undergrad and grew up in Dallas. I want to practice in Texas given the CoL, the more favorable conditions at firms compared to those in NYC, and the fact that I just love it here. UT has not, however, offered me money yet. According to the Dean of Admissions, my gpa is .05 below their benchmark for automatic scholarship, but they would be interested using their "matching" program to give me money, assuming I am offered money from a another school. I've applied to the T14 plus UCLA, USC, and SMU.

My primary concern with the NY schools concerns the debt. From everything I read, I would have to go into biglaw to pay it off, and I have yet to read anything about anyone actually enjoying biglaw - though that is based on a self-selecting sample of discussion board posts. I would like to go to work for a midlaw/boutique firm in Texas eventually in order to have some flexibility. This is not to mention that I have a gf looking for a ring shortly after law school (another reason biglaw might be a hellish path for me).

Does anyone have any input on my options at this juncture?

FryBreadPower

Re: Columbia/NYU vs UT Austin$

Postby FryBreadPower » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:31 pm

Tagged. I'm in a similar position/circumstances except with a different regional school (but within a similar ranking) instead of UT-Austin. Curious what experienced posters here would have to say on the matter.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:04 pm

I'd wait to see how much UT gives you. A full ride at UT would be a much different story than say 10k/year. Especially because CLS/NYU are your dream schools.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Chfox wrote:According to the Dean of Admissions, my gpa is .05 below their benchmark for automatic scholarship, but they would be interested using their "matching" program to give me money, assuming I am offered money from a another school. I've applied to the T14 plus UCLA, USC, and SMU.

I'm not sure what their matching program requires, whether it's money from any school or only peer schools, but if they consider money from any school, you're going to be offered a boatload at SMU.

PigBodine

Postby PigBodine » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:10 pm

quiver wrote:I'd wait to see how much UT gives you. A full ride at UT would be a much different story than say 10k/year. Especially because CLS/NYU are your dream schools.

They won't give him anything, unless it's to match a T14 school, which is unlikely. Texas offers scholarships to people who are 3.6/168. If you don't meet one of those, you get zilch.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:21 pm

My take on this is: If they're all at sticker, then CLS/NYU (cost of living and in-state at UT be damned). I don't know how Texas does scholarships—but if they don't throw cash at you with a 177, then I feel indignant on your behalf. If they do come up with serious money, I'd take it, seeing as you want to be in Texas.

This is from someone with only a passing acquaintance with Texas legal hiring, so take it with a grain of salt (but anecdotally, it seems to me that NYU students with Texas ties do very well there—better than UT students, I'd guess).

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:22 pm

PigBodine wrote:
quiver wrote:I'd wait to see how much UT gives you. A full ride at UT would be a much different story than say 10k/year. Especially because CLS/NYU are your dream schools.

They won't give him anything, unless it's to match a T14 school, which is unlikely. Texas offers scholarships to people who are 3.6/168. If you don't meet one of those, you get zilch.

Dude's got a 177.

ETA: Dude or dudette. Apologies.

ETA: Unless you mean, you have to meet both of those. Which could be a way of reading what you wrote. So. I'll bow out now.

PigBodine

Postby PigBodine » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:23 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
PigBodine wrote:

Dude's got a 177.

ETA: Unless you mean, you have to meet both of those. Which could be a way of reading what you wrote. So. I'll bow out now.

Both, yeah. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:33 pm

PigBodine wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
PigBodine wrote:

Dude's got a 177.

Both, yeah. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Well that blows. I'm amazed that UT doesn't want an in-state 177 bad enough to pay for it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”