Just what is needed... another new law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
paradox

Just what is needed... another new law school

Postby paradox » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:17 pm

The below link to to a news article that announces that a private college with 11 satellite campuses around the state of Indiana named "Indiana Institute of Technology" (a/k/a "Indiana Tech") is planning to start a brand new law school that will admit its new class just in time for the entering 2013 class.

The news article indicate that the new law school will be the fifth (5th) in the state of Indiana, and the seventh (7th) law school within a three-hour drive of Fort Wayne. The feasibility study completed by Tech is reported to have found that Indiana was underserved by lawyers. Some observers have criticized the new school as unnecessary, given the declining job prospects for new lawyers and the downturn in law school applications. Unbelievable.

LINK
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

Re: Just what is needed... another new law school

Postby 20121109 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:19 pm

Let that Indiana Tech cook.

Postby 071816 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:27 pm

ITT Tech has a law school now? Yikes.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Ok but in all seriousness, everybody is going to bash the idea of new law schools, because everybody says the legal market is saturated. They are partly right. Many sectors of the legal market are oversaturated, but many other markets are underserved. The problem is the absorbent cost of law school, making it necessary for new lawyers to take higher paying jobs. If a new law school opened and let students get their JD for $10,000 a year, it wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm not totally sure new law schools are automatically bad. If they're charging tuition more on par with CUNY than NYLS, maybe another law school is needed. Some studies seem to suggest we need more lawyers, but even if they're right, we need more lawyers charging rates that are accessible to middle and low income people. If new law schools were to charge low tuitions so lawyers could afford to charge low rates, maybe new law schools could steal candidates from the overpriced T4s.

That said, I doubt the school is making this huge investment in a new law school because they plan to lose money on it.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:38 pm

I read an article a few months back about this rich dude who tried to open a new super-cheap law school in the Appalachians, but the ABA was fighting him tooth and nail on accreditation. I think it's in the interest of the ABA to keep high-cost T4s open, but they're threatened by schools which could offer a degree for like 50,000 bucks total.
Last edited by ahnhub on Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dale

Postby Dale » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:39 pm

I was thinking of starting a law school too. $45k tuition. Featuring a small class of 300 students. With an income of $13.5M we’ll have WIFI and comfortable chairs. We will find a handful of brilliant out of work attorneys and make them professors (the beauty of putting people back to work). The government will loan bright-eyed students the money (like they did for the people wanting houses with no seed cash). The students will have 3 years and six months to start making their un-bankruptable payments. I am certain 94% of our students will have employment within 9 months (staying with the norm most law school claims). We’ll call it Dale. . rhymes with Yale!

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:40 pm

IAFG wrote:I'm not totally sure new law schools are automatically bad. If they're charging tuition more on par with CUNY than NYLS, maybe another law school is needed. Some studies seem to suggest we need more lawyers, but even if they're right, we need more lawyers charging rates that are accessible to middle and low income people. If new law schools were to charge low tuitions so lawyers could afford to charge low rates, maybe new law schools could steal candidates from the overpriced T4s.

That said, I doubt the school is making this huge investment in a new law school because they plan to lose money on it.

TLSmind

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
IAFG wrote:I'm not totally sure new law schools are automatically bad. If they're charging tuition more on par with CUNY than NYLS, maybe another law school is needed. Some studies seem to suggest we need more lawyers, but even if they're right, we need more lawyers charging rates that are accessible to middle and low income people. If new law schools were to charge low tuitions so lawyers could afford to charge low rates, maybe new law schools could steal candidates from the overpriced T4s.

TLSmind

but i was 2 seconds late so you win.

i should have left off my caveat. dammit.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:46 pm

There should really be about 20 biglaw feeder schools that charge $45,000 a year for tuition and a bunch of other schools that specialize is less lucrative areas of law that charge was less for tuition. Problem solved.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:52 pm

Yeah people at my school and people I know at Bloomington are not happy about this. Fort Wayne already has a tiny, tiny market that grads from my school (IU Indy) want. Not to mention Fort Wayne's county borders Ohio and is about 45 mins from Ohio Northern and we all already know how great the legal market in Ohio is doing with their 1200 law schools.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”