Seton Hall Law vs. Rutgers Newark?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
greentopaz24

Seton Hall Law vs. Rutgers Newark?

Postby greentopaz24 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:51 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm having a hard time choosing between Seton Hall and Rutgers Newark, so any help would be appreciated!

I'm in state, so I would pay in state tuition for Rutgers. However, SH gave me a scholarship that would result in me paying less to attend SH for the first year than I would pay at Rutgers. It comes with the 50th percentile stipulation.

I know SH is ranked a good 20 spots higher on some lists than Rutgers but I've also heard stories about them making the scholarship renewal really tough for you and I ideally don't want to end up paying full price for them.

Does anyone have any opinions or advice based on experience or knowledge of the 2 schools? Job prospects afterwards?

Thanks in advance!

chesterfan1230

Re: Seton Hall Law vs. Rutgers Newark?

Postby chesterfan1230 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:56 pm

I would take Rutgers Newark over Seton Hall. Seton Hall is overly expensive and their Scholarships have stipulations that can really choke you.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:12 pm

Recent RU grad. Seton Hall has a bigger focus on private practice work and RU is more public sector oriented. A lot of it has to do with the greater debt that SHU grads have (it's more of a necessity for them to *try* to place in private firms). In that sense, I've found that SHU seems to do a better job at packaging their students than Rutgers does. RU is facing consolidation by both Gov. Christie (who wants to fold RU Camden into Rowan) and the RU faculty who are attempting to petition the ABA to have multiple locations, but one RU law school. No-one knows if that means RU-Newark would remain in Newark or both would relocate to New Brunswick. A consolidation would give RU a bump in the rankings although rankings become meaningless once you enter law school.

I don't know what your goals are or where your preferences lie (public v. private), but you're going to have a tough road ahead of you easily finding decent employment in the area. That does not mean it's impossible. But Biglaw from RU (either in NJ or NY) is reserved for the absolute top of the class and everyone else is left to fend for themselves. Mid-law in NJ is, for the most part, not hiring and local government jobs are still under a hiring freeze. That leaves grads to either think outside the box as to how to get a legal job or try something else. I'm not saying this to discourage your decision, but to help you make an informed one. I can only speak for RU, but the educational quality was very high and the tuition difference helps make debt more manageable. Just understand what RU and SHU are offering you in terms of short-term employment options right out of school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:15 am

^ Take this above post to heart. No, employment from either school isn't impossible, but absent stellar grades you are going to have a huge uphill climb. I've heard from my NYC/NJ friends that the NJ market is rough, and it is pretty well documented that the government in NJ is slashing like mad. And like the above poster said, biglaw at either school is going to be very hard unless you are tip top of the class. So what jobs are left are going to be few and far between (in large part due to all the competition in the market), and probably not all that great of jobs.

What kind of debt are you looking at? Unless you are going for very cheap, I wouldn't go to either one. Big debt + poor job prospects = highly questionable investment.

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:13 am

I'm going to piggyback off of this one, as I may have this decision as well. I'm born and raised in New Jersey, and when push comes to shove - despite the other places I applied, this is probably going to be my home for the next few decades.

I have a 35k scholly from Seton Hall with a 50% GPA stip, which worries me as it seems that EVERYONE is getting that and a $10k scholarship from Rutgers with a 3.2 GPA stip, which seems as if I have a higher chance at retaining my scholarship and even if I don't, I wont be paying significantly more.

I'd probably pick Rutgers over Seton Hall due to some bias, as I am a Rutgers undergraduate right now. But it's still a tough decision. The markets in New Jersey aren't too hot, but I feel I'm going to visit other law schools in the nation (U Oregon/Lewis & Clark/Hawaii) and realize that I want to stay in the area where I have lived in for most of my life.

Just a statement: For those wondering why a New Jersey guy has the Colorado Avalanche as his avatar, it's because I've lived in New Jersey for MOST of my life - living in Colorado during the impressionable years (6-11) kind of forces you into rooting for the local team.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”