UT or GULC at sticker vs. WUSTL (114k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UT or GULC at sticker vs WUSTL (114k) vs. others with scholarhips

GULC (sticker)
21%
UT (most likely sticker)
8%
WUSTL (114k)
63%
UCI (66k)
3%
BU (66k)
5%

Total votes: 73

imadude

New

UT or GULC at sticker vs. WUSTL (114k)

Post by imadude » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:59 pm

I know this is a very personal decision, but I'm interested to see what people think.

I'm in at GULC and UT, but I doubt I'll get anything meaningful from GULC, and I'm one point below UT's LSAT floor for scholarships. I'm sure I could negotiate a little something at each, but nothing to make it worth it. As far as other schools, I have 114k at WUSTL, 66k at BU and 66k at UCI. I'm from California, and want to end up there eventually, but I'm not dead set on ending up there right away. My savings could pay off the remaining 8k per year at WUSTL, so I would be graduating from a T-20 school debt free, and would have lots more freedom with where I wanted to work.

I was WL'ed at UCLA, will probably get in to USC, and held at NU. Rejected at a few T-10's.

The way I look at it, I can get an almost free JD at fairly prestigious school, find a job wherever a good one comes up post-graduation, and then make a lateral move to somewhere I want to end up for the long term after 3-4 years of working. I know lots of attorneys who have done this.

For those that might endorse UCI, I don't think I'll go there, because I'm not the type of person that wants to "blaze his own trail." I prefer the structure that the already established schools can offer, rather than UCI who says they'll let you start up whatever clinics, clubs, opportunities you want.

Caveat: My other side wants to make sure I go T-14. I think GULC would be an amazing experience, but graduating with ~200k in debt sounds horrible. I have had people tell me that graduating from a T-14 school opens doors that couldn't be opened otherwise, but I don't want to be a slave to debt for the next 15 years. I'm a very good interviewer, have full-time work experience, and am confident I'll find something post graduation. With no debt, I'm free to pursue lots of different opportunities. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with WUSTL, unless USC/UCLA were to offer a great scholarship, which doesn't seem likely. Thoughts?

TL;DR version: WUSTL graduating with no debt > sticker at UT or GULC?

Edit: Added poll.
Last edited by imadude on Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Re: UT or GULC at sticker vs. WUSTL (114k)

Post by bgdddymtty » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:10 pm

I don't think this decision is a close one. Take the money and run.

EDIT: You should do this as a poll.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:13 pm

I would (probably) take WUSTL without debt. Hard to turn down t-14 but you have to be financially realistic here.

Wart

Bronze

Post by Wart » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:24 pm

WUSTL or UCI, depending on how set you are on working in Cali.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:07 pm

imadude wrote:My savings could pay off the remaining 8k per year at WUSTL, so I would be graduating from a T-20 school debt free, and would have lots more freedom with where I wanted to work.
WUSTL easily. Gtown is a much better school overall, but we're talking about free here. Unless you get a comparable offer at a better school, I'd take the free degree every day of the week. And like you said, you'll have more freedom to pursue a career that truly interests you, as opposed to being biglaw or bust out of necessity at Georgetown.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:14 pm

That people even think to ask questions like this (or whether they should go to Chicago with tuition and living expenses paid for v. HLS at sticker) indicates they are either (a) very rich; (b) very naive; or (c) both.

albusdumbledore

Silver

Post by albusdumbledore » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:30 pm

Paul Campos wrote:That people even think to ask questions like this (or whether they should go to Chicago with tuition and living expenses paid for v. HLS at sticker) indicates they are either (a) very rich; (b) very naive; or (c) both.
There's nothing wrong with gathering opinions. That's what this subforum is for. Everybody's situation is slightly different. For most people, taking the money is probably the right idea, but why on earth would you not at least ask for some opinions? Also, let's not forget that you have the benefit of hindsight, unlike most of the posters here.

titan747

New

Post by titan747 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:44 pm

200k of non-dischargeable student loan debt is always a bad decision... WUSTL is the best decision

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:51 pm

I think a degree from a t 14 is worth gold. Sure, you are going to have to take out loans...just as at least 80% of the class will have to...but your degree is from Georgetown. So long as you don't want to do PI, you will be able to manage the monthly loan payments and you will have better employment opportunities with judicial clerkships, biglaw, gov't etc. Plus, Georgetown is on the list of top 25 law schools with the highest mid-career pay at $188,000. WUSTL doesn't even make the list. Here is the link --LinkRemoved--

Again, maybe you are starting out debt free, but think of the big picture. I believe you will have a larger net worth in the end by going to GULC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Also, if you are REALLY debt averse... negotiate with BU to increase your offer. BU is on the top 25 list as well. If you can get an equal-or close to it- offer from BU I think that is the better option.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:59 pm

msblaw89 wrote:I think a degree from a t 14 is worth gold. Sure, you are going to have to take out loans...just as at least 80% of the class will have to...but your degree is from Georgetown. So long as you don't want to do PI, you will be able to manage the monthly loan payments and you will have better employment opportunities with judicial clerkships, biglaw, gov't etc. Plus, Georgetown is on the list of top 25 law schools with the highest mid-career pay at $188,000. WUSTL doesn't even make the list. Here is the link --LinkRemoved--
We're not comparing WUSTL and Chicago or something, where the vast majority of the class lands biglaw or some other solid job. And it's not like we're comparing Georgetown to some T3 full ride. We're talking about a full ride with no debt at a pretty good school. Yes, biglaw odds at Georgetown are probably at least 2x higher than WUSTL's, but OP could work for 50-60k and have no loan payments to make. Worst case outcome at WUSTL is probably doing shitlaw, but still having no debt at all. Have fun with 200k of non-dischargeable educational debt if you wind up below median at Georgetown.

And again, OP has basically one option if he goes to Georgetown: work at a big firm. What if he despises big firm work and wants to work at a small firm doing something else? He can't really make that switch because he'll be a debt slave.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:04 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Also, if you are REALLY debt averse... negotiate with BU to increase your offer. BU is on the top 25 list as well. If you can get an equal-or close to it- offer from BU I think that is the better option.
And I can't believe you are so beholden to this silly list. Yeah, I suppose it is an interesting list in some ways, but I'm not sure what it really tells us.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:18 pm

msblaw89 wrote:I think a degree from a t 14 is worth gold. Sure, you are going to have to take out loans...just as at least 80% of the class will have to...but your degree is from Georgetown. So long as you don't want to do PI, you will be able to manage the monthly loan payments and you will have better employment opportunities with judicial clerkships, biglaw, gov't etc. Plus, Georgetown is on the list of top 25 law schools with the highest mid-career pay at $188,000. WUSTL doesn't even make the list. Here is the link --LinkRemoved--

Again, maybe you are starting out debt free, but think of the big picture. I believe you will have a larger net worth in the end by going to GULC.

42% of GULC's 2010 class got either big law or an AIII clerkship, as compared to 22% for WUSTL. If you think that difference is worth $200K in non-dischargeable debt then either you don't understand how debt works or $200K isn't serious money to you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm not saying WUSTL is a bad school or anything, but all else being equal a degree from
Georgetown will take you farther assuming you put in the effort you should with your studies. The majority of all t14 students are left with quite a bit of debt... But you will easily make up for it in a few years- assuming you don't do PI.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:54 pm

msblaw89 wrote:I'm not saying WUSTL is a bad school or anything, but all else being equal a degree from
Georgetown will take you farther assuming you put in the effort you should with your studies. The majority of all t14 students are left with quite a bit of debt... But you will easily make up for it in a few years- assuming you don't do PI.
Obviously, all things being equal GULC > WUSTL. But that's pointless for this discussion because all things are NOT equal.

WUSTL is the way to go here.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:04 pm

Bronck wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:I'm not saying WUSTL is a bad school or anything, but all else being equal a degree from
Obviously, all things being equal GULC > WUSTL. But that's pointless for this discussion because all things are NOT equal.

Of course this is just my opinion .... But think if this in terms of a business decision. Think of apple and the iPhone Or Microsoft and the xbox... Both projects put the companies in MAJOR debt.... Do you think either one regrets that decision after they made back what they lost in a couple of years and then made crazy profits?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Of course this is just my opinion .... But think if this in terms of a business decision. Think of apple and the iPhone Or Microsoft and the xbox... Both projects put the companies in MAJOR debt.... Do you think either one regrets that decision after they made back what they lost in a couple of years and then made crazy profits?
This analogy doesn't work at all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
Bronck wrote:

This analogy doesn't work at all.
Yes it does. It means you have to think of the big picture here. Okay I am putting this to rest now. Avg starting salary for GULC is 160,000 adjust for taxes and you get 112,000. WUSTL avg starting salary is 95,000 adjust for taxes and you get 66,500. For GULC you start at -200,000, but after 10 years your PROFIT is 920,000 vs. WUSTL of 665,000 with no debt. GULC> WUSTL

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:23 pm

msblaw89 wrote: Yes it does. It means you have to think of the big picture here. Okay I am putting this to rest now. Avg starting salary for GULC is 160,000 adjust for taxes and you get 112,000. WUSTL avg starting salary is 95,000 adjust for taxes and you get 66,500. For GULC you start at -200,000, but after 10 years your PROFIT is 920,000 vs. WUSTL of 665,000 with no debt. GULC> WUSTL
There is so much wrong with this post.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:27 pm

Bronck wrote:
msblaw89 wrote: Yes it does. It means you have to think of the big picture here. Okay I am putting this to rest now. Avg starting salary for GULC is 160,000 adjust for taxes and you get 112,000. WUSTL avg starting salary is 95,000 adjust for taxes and you get 66,500. For GULC you start at -200,000, but after 10 years your PROFIT is 920,000 vs. WUSTL of 665,000 with no debt. GULC> WUSTL
The only disclaimer I will add is PI. If you want PI, go to WUSTL with no debt.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:29 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Bronck wrote:
The only disclaimer I will add is PI. If you want PI, go to WUSTL with no debt.
Your numbers are terrible.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ralph_pootawn

Bronze

Post by ralph_pootawn » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:30 pm

the only issue I see with MSBLAW's numbers is she assuming median. In decisions like this I find it best to assume bottom 1/3 and make your decisions based off of that since law school performance can be so hard to judge.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:32 pm

ralph_pootawn wrote:the only issue I see with MSBLAW's numbers is she assuming median. In decisions like this I find it best to assume bottom 1/3 and make your decisions based off of that since law school performance can be so hard to judge.
Even then GULC salary would be higher. Again, I'm not trying to start a fight... I just want to offer a different opinion for the person who started this thread

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:33 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Yes it does. It means you have to think of the big picture here. Okay I am putting this to rest now. Avg starting salary for GULC is 160,000 adjust for taxes and you get 112,000. WUSTL avg starting salary is 95,000 adjust for taxes and you get 66,500. For GULC you start at -200,000, but after 10 years your PROFIT is 920,000 vs. WUSTL of 665,000 with no debt. GULC> WUSTL
1800 posts? Yous trollin.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:35 pm

bk187 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Yes it does. It means you have to think of the big picture here. Okay I am putting this to rest now. Avg starting salary for GULC is 160,000 adjust for taxes and you get 112,000. WUSTL avg starting salary is 95,000 adjust for taxes and you get 66,500. For GULC you start at -200,000, but after 10 years your PROFIT is 920,000 vs. WUSTL of 665,000 with no debt. GULC> WUSTL
1800 posts? Yous trollin.
Considering I haven't even started law school yet? Nor am I likely to go to GULC? Look, it is just an opinion and I am sure that I am not the only one who feels this way.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”