Duke JD/MA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Shooter

Duke JD/MA

Postby Shooter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:33 am

Hi TLS,

I searched the forums and found some general information about JD/MA programs, but none specifically for Duke's JD/MA in Economics.

Are there any current Duke students that have any experience with this program? What kind of jobs are available to Law/Economics graduates? Does it help/hurt one's chances of landing a BigLaw gig? Does it open other doors? Etc.

TL;DR = This shit's expensive, but I like the thought of being a versatile attorney. What do?

handsonthewheel

Re: Duke JD/MA

Postby handsonthewheel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:54 pm

This is not a rhetorical question: why do you want to get an MA in economics?

My understanding is that it won't do anything for you legal practice possibilities.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:05 pm

As a lawyer I want to provide as much value as possible to my future clients. I think that having a very thorough understanding of econometrics and industrial organization would be unique and helpful in that regard. It might also give me better exit options if it turns out that I am not a good fit for the BigLaw lifestyle.

Taking this into consideration, anyone else want to weigh in?

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:10 pm

retake, ED to UVA.

handsonthewheel

Postby handsonthewheel » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Shooter wrote:As a lawyer I want to provide as much value as possible to my future clients. I think that having a very thorough understanding of econometrics and industrial organization would be unique and helpful in that regard. It might also give me better exit options if it turns out that I am not a good fit for the BigLaw lifestyle.

Taking this into consideration, anyone else want to weigh in?

If you want to litigate, that won't really matter and by the time it might, you'll have enough years of experience that you'll have learned what you need to in counseling clients and settlement considerations. If you want to be in transactional, I think it's more pertinent, but the second half of the aforementioned still applies.

As far as exit opportunities, I think the MA in a non-applied field without professional experience is going to be dwarfed by the presence of a law degree from a top school. An economics masters doesn't mean a thing until you've worked in a professional capacity. If you want to have exit options, get a strictly quantitative or applied masters and get 2 or 3 years of professional experience, then go to law school.

Having a degree like that doesn't matter. Hell, having your law degree doesn't really "matter" in respect to being employable until you've been professionally trained. The J.D. is the entry requirement.

I know you're looking for a different answer, but you're not legitimately going to find it. If the degree is free or you want to do PI that it could help out with, then go ahead, but if you want to work in biglaw it's just not going to matter.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Cool, thanks for the response. It was actually quite helpful.

Also I have no interest in litigating. My interests as a lawyer are purely transactional.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:26 pm

I don't think an MA in econ would do you much. A JD/MBA might help on the business side of things, and a JD/Econ PhD would help if you wanted academia. But otherwise, eh. Probably not worth the money.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:04 pm

Good perspective. Thanks, Helmholtz!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”