MV and P Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
admisionquestion

Bronze

MV and P

Post by admisionquestion » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:42 am

It looks like according to employment data P outperforms the rest of the t7-14.

What are peoples thoughts on this? Is this accurate? The more info people could provide the better.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Re: MV and P

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:44 am

Admission has two "s"s.

Some of the answer has to do with self-selection into PI for Mich and government for UVA. Peer schools are basically peer.

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:48 am

Why would more M or V students self select into PI than P?

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:04 am

It does seem like Penn outperforms its ranking. Really closer to CCN range than MV in my uneducated opinion. Definitely has certain higher lay prestige, I don't know if or if not that factors in the reasoning for its superior employment numbers.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:18 pm

smokeylarue wrote:It does seem like Penn outperforms its ranking. Really closer to CCN range than MV in my uneducated opinion. Definitely has certain higher lay prestige, I don't know if or if not that factors in the reasoning for its superior employment numbers.
1. Recession hurt BigLaw hiring significantly more in markets other than NYC.
2. P generally attracts more people that want to work in NYC BigLaw then MV.
3. P outperformed MV.

Has nothing to do with "lay prestige" and everything to do with NYC BigLaw. Additionally, M attracts a fuckload of PI people and I assume V attracts gov't people and both of those sectors got slaughtered ITE, whereas Penn is more business + BigLaw focused.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Penn also has a smaller class than either Michigan or Virginia ( I think Penn is around 250-280?), while Michigan and Virginia each have around (350-380?) students. Having nearly 100 fewer students is definitely going to improve a school's employment data at the margins.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:51 pm

Actually it's not just Penn's stats. Schools which feed into big markets (esp. NYC) and which aren't PI-focused have always generally had more impressive employment stats (Penn, Cornell, NU), although Penn probably has had the most shiny of that group.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:13 pm

Peer schools are peer. Penn might give a slight advantage in NYC big law or preftigious firm placement, but it's hard to account for self-selection. I don't think the opportunities for a top 10 student at MVP will be all that different, nor will be the opportunites differ that much for a median student and so on.

barneytrouble

Bronze

Post by barneytrouble » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:43 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:Peer schools are peer. Penn might give a slight advantage in NYC big law or preftigious firm placement, but it's hard to account for self-selection. I don't think the opportunities for a top 10 student at MVP will be all that different, nor will be the opportunites differ that much for a median student and so on.
shhh dont let the penn students hear you

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”