HELP: Michigan State (50%) VS Roger Williams (full)? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Wick3d0n3

New

HELP: Michigan State (50%) VS Roger Williams (full)?

Post by Wick3d0n3 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:42 am

Can anyone please give me advice about Roger Williams? I don't know anything about this school! Should I decline RWU and s full scholarship because it's a T4?

Platinum

Re: HELP: Michigan State (50%) VS Roger Williams (full)?

Post by 2014 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Is it tuition only or is there some sort of living expenses stipend? And what is their grade or class rank stipulation?

And then where do you want to end up after law school?

superbloom

Bronze

Post by superbloom » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:09 pm

The curve at RWU is deadly. They are notorious for giving scholarships most won't keep. RWU has among the worst reputations in the country.

Wick3d0n3

New

Post by Wick3d0n3 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:22 pm

I got a 50% scholarship from Michigan with a 2.5 GPA retention requirement. I also got a full scholarship plus $500 textbook stipend from Roger Williams, a fourth-tier school, also with a 2.5 GPA retention requirement. I don't want to live in Michigan or Rhode Island when I graduate. Instead, I want to move back home to Los Angeles. I don't like what I'm hearing about Roger Williams but it's hard to pass up a free ride (assuming, of course, I'm able to keep my scholarship).

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:27 pm

Wick3d0n3 wrote:I got a 50% scholarship from Michigan with a 2.5 GPA retention requirement. I also got a full scholarship plus $500 textbook stipend from Roger Williams, a fourth-tier school, also with a 2.5 GPA retention requirement. I don't want to live in Michigan or Rhode Island when I graduate. Instead, I want to move back home to Los Angeles. I don't like what I'm hearing about Roger Williams but it's hard to pass up a free ride (assuming, of course, I'm able to keep my scholarship).
I think that Roger Williams has a really tough curve and on top of that, it puts a lot of people who have scholarships in the same section, creating a system in which many students lose every drop of scholarship money. Then again, if you don't want to go to Michigan after graduation, don't go to MIchigan State. Honestly, if it came down to going to Roger Williams, going to Michigan State without wanting Michigan, or lighting $100,000 on fire, you're probably best off with that last option.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Wick3d0n3 wrote:I got a 50% scholarship from Michigan with a 2.5 GPA retention requirement. I also got a full scholarship plus $500 textbook stipend from Roger Williams, a fourth-tier school, also with a 2.5 GPA retention requirement. I don't want to live in Michigan or Rhode Island when I graduate. Instead, I want to move back home to Los Angeles. I don't like what I'm hearing about Roger Williams but it's hard to pass up a free ride (assuming, of course, I'm able to keep my scholarship).
I think that Roger Williams has a really tough curve and on top of that, it puts a lot of people who have scholarships in the same section, creating a system in which many students lose every drop of scholarship money. Then again, if you don't want to go to Michigan after graduation, don't go to MIchigan State. Honestly, if it came down to going to Roger Williams, going to Michigan State without wanting Michigan, or lighting $100,000 on fire, you're probably best off with that last option.
Helmholtz wrote:
CR. You will most likely not get a full-time lawyer job in CA with a degree from either of these schools. If you want to work in CA, your best bet is to wait a year, retake and reapply to some CA schools.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:39 pm

Michigan State won't take you outside of the immediate region. RWU won't take you anywhere. Either make peace with the Midwest or sit-out this cycle, retake, and apply to some California schools. Barring high numbers, CA is an incredibly difficult state to attend law school in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”