WashU $$$ vs gtown vs. vandy

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hbh90

WashU $$$ vs gtown vs. vandy

Postby hbh90 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:09 am

washU gave me full scholarship towards tuition..nothing so far from gtown or vandy

Although my sister lives in STL dont think i wanna work there, prob wanna head back east after graduation. mostly interested in private practice

thoughts?

bk1

Re: WashU $$$ vs gtown vs. vandy

Postby bk1 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:07 am

WUSTL generally places in the midwest but the problem with it (and other strong schools in the midwest like ND/UIUC) is that it doesn't have particularly great hooks into Chicago (or NYC since you want to go back east).

1. If as per your other thread your parents are paying your way (and they can easily afford that and you don't mind it) then go to GULC.
2. If you don't want to have them pay your way then use your WUSTL scholarship to leverage scholarship money from an east coast school where you want to work (Fordham/BU/BC/GW).
3. Probably your best option would be to retake and reapply. If you could get a 170+ you would be looking at decent scholarship money to T14's.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:06 pm

bk1 wrote:WUSTL generally places in the midwest but the problem with it (and other strong schools in the midwest like ND/UIUC) is that it doesn't have particularly great hooks into Chicago (or NYC since you want to go back east).

1. If as per your other thread your parents are paying your way (and they can easily afford that and you don't mind it) then go to GULC.
2. If you don't want to have them pay your way then use your WUSTL scholarship to leverage scholarship money from an east coast school where you want to work (Fordham/BU/BC/GW).
3. Probably your best option would be to retake and reapply. If you could get a 170+ you would be looking at decent scholarship money to T14's.

I agree with all of this.

What are your numbers? I imagine you'll get dough from Vandy.

Postby 2014 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:14 pm

If WashU gave you full tuition (135k?) then you will almost certainly get a good/great offer from Vandy as well. If for whatever reason they don't offer you anything, send them your WUSTL offer, they are peer schools and while they might not match it, they might be inclined to give you something.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:48 pm

If nothing changes, I would go with WUSTL. The others are a big risk, and if you do really well you should be able to swing something that would make you happy. If you do poorly, you didn't lose too much. Even at Vandy and GULC you would still want to be in the top half to be really safe.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”