The best choice for all applicants

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Flash
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

The best choice for all applicants

Postby Flash » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:13 pm

is not to go to LS. It's not that LS is that hard. Yes the curve sucks and it's stressful. It's that law school sucks and is populated with horrible people. Look if you can't get into a top school it's a money and time sink which will most likely ruin your life. If you can get into a good school, then you're most likely smart enough to go do something useful with your life.

I'm not saying this because I'm bitter, I'm honestly looking out for what's in your best interest.

Whatever you do. DO.NOT.GO.

User avatar
ggibelli
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby ggibelli » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:17 pm

cool

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby PinkCow » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:18 pm

--ImageRemoved--

cdelgado
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:01 am

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby cdelgado » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:26 pm

Image

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby 071816 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:27 pm

Image

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:41 am

Flash wrote:is not to go to LS. It's not that LS is that hard. Yes the curve sucks and it's stressful. It's that law school sucks and is populated with horrible people. Look if you can't get into a top school it's a money and time sink which will most likely ruin your life. If you can get into a good school, then you're most likely smart enough to go do something useful with your life.

I'm not saying this because I'm bitter, I'm honestly looking out for what's in your best interest.

Whatever you do. DO.NOT.GO.

Image

User avatar
Lovely Ludwig Van
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:31 am

MTal, is that you?

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby Haymarket » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:55 am

Keep calm and carry on, brosef.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:08 am

The 0Ls in this thread would do well to stop being so arrogant. Most all of you are going to end up realizing law school is a pointless, prestige-obsessed credentialing scam filled with bad people and mind-numbing monotony. You'll look back on your posts in this thread and hate yourselves.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby PDaddy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 am

Flash wrote:is not to go to LS. It's not that LS is that hard. Yes the curve sucks and it's stressful. It's that law school sucks and is populated with horrible people. Look if you can't get into a top school it's a money and time sink which will most likely ruin your life. If you can get into a good school, then you're most likely smart enough to go do something useful with your life.

I'm not saying this because I'm bitter, I'm honestly looking out for what's in your best interest.

Whatever you do. DO.NOT.GO.


I'm actually down with this advice...for any applicant who isn't black, Latino/a, or GLBT. You see, there is a dearth of qualified attorneys of color (and GLBT attorneys), and due to the way the legal system consistently works against people of color we must continue to infiltrate the profession. In fact, I believe all black people (and most people of color and GLBT) should study law whether they want to practice as attorneys or not. The legal system is used against in every way possible.

My bottom line is that I agree with your general assessment of the profession. It's just that we as people of color and GLBT's can ill-afford to neglect a field that has such a pervasive, negative impact on our community, and generally fails to protect our interests. I feel the same way about the medical field.

Bildungsroman wrote:The 0Ls in this thread would do well to stop being so arrogant. Most all of you are going to end up realizing law school is a pointless, prestige-obsessed credentialing scam filled with bad people and mind-numbing monotony. You'll look back on your posts in this thread and hate yourselves.


We already realize it, but to the detriment of many of us we don't care.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby Haymarket » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:24 am

PDaddy wrote:
Flash wrote:is not to go to LS. It's not that LS is that hard. Yes the curve sucks and it's stressful. It's that law school sucks and is populated with horrible people. Look if you can't get into a top school it's a money and time sink which will most likely ruin your life. If you can get into a good school, then you're most likely smart enough to go do something useful with your life.

I'm not saying this because I'm bitter, I'm honestly looking out for what's in your best interest.

Whatever you do. DO.NOT.GO.


I'm actually down with this advice...for any applicant who isn't black, Latino/a, or GLBT. You see, there is a dearth of qualified attorneys of color (and GLBT attorneys), and due to the way the legal system consistently works against people of color we must continue to infiltrate the profession. In fact, I believe all black people (and most people of color and GLBT) should study law whether they want to practice as attorneys or not. The legal system is used against in every way possible.

My bottom line is that I agree with your general assessment of the profession. It's just that we as people of color and GLBT's can ill-afford to neglect a field that has such a pervasive, negative impact on our community, and generally fails to protect our interests. I feel the same way about the medical field.

Shut up. You don't know what you're talking about and this has nothing to do with what we're discussing.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:29 am

PDaddy wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:The 0Ls in this thread would do well to stop being so arrogant. Most all of you are going to end up realizing law school is a pointless, prestige-obsessed credentialing scam filled with bad people and mind-numbing monotony. You'll look back on your posts in this thread and hate yourselves.


We already realize it, but to the detriment of many of us we don't care.

If you realize it and decide that you still want to go, then whatever. But if you just don't care then you're an idiot.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby Haymarket » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:33 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:The 0Ls in this thread would do well to stop being so arrogant. Most all of you are going to end up realizing law school is a pointless, prestige-obsessed credentialing scam filled with bad people and mind-numbing monotony. You'll look back on your posts in this thread and hate yourselves.


We already realize it, but to the detriment of many of us we don't care.

If you realize it and decide that you still want to go, then whatever. But if you just don't care then you're an idiot.

Given his full post, I'd say the latter is exceedingly likely. Then again, he seems to have the insufferable mental masturbation skills necessary for his entire class to hate him.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby Ludo! » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:41 am

I agree with you that law school sucks and a lot of the people are horrible but it's certainly not the best decision for everyone to not go. I don't regret going to law school. Some people actually want to be lawyers and wouldn't be happy just doing something else.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby IAFG » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:44 am

Bildungsroman wrote:The 0Ls in this thread would do well to stop being so arrogant. Most all of you are going to end up realizing law school is a pointless, prestige-obsessed credentialing scam filled with bad people and mind-numbing monotony. You'll look back on your posts in this thread and hate yourselves.

Meh. If I had to do it again, I'd do it again.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:55 am

IAFG wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:The 0Ls in this thread would do well to stop being so arrogant. Most all of you are going to end up realizing law school is a pointless, prestige-obsessed credentialing scam filled with bad people and mind-numbing monotony. You'll look back on your posts in this thread and hate yourselves.

Meh. If I had to do it again, I'd do it again.

Agreed. I don't regret coming to law school, and I don't think most people will as long as they go to a good school and manage to find gainful employment. But 0Ls need to understand and factor in that law school in itself is not as attractive as people think. You'll sit in a lot of rooms being intellectually unstimulated while gaining no practical skills. That's why people ITT who have never even sat in a law school classroom before are talking out of their asses when they just dismiss Flash's correct assessment that law school sucks and is filled with terrible people. Applicants need to consider that when weighing law school as an option. I know plenty of law school applicants and law students who expect(ed) law school to be a place where intellectual titans gather to be profound and prestigious and spend lots of time in oak-paneled rooms gaining enlightenment with peers they respect and get along with well, coming out of school after three richly rewarding years with a deep understanding of the law that will benefit them greatly in practice. If people are making law school decisions with anything like this picture in their mind, their expectations are on a one-way lube train to pound town.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby IAFG » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:57 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:The 0Ls in this thread would do well to stop being so arrogant. Most all of you are going to end up realizing law school is a pointless, prestige-obsessed credentialing scam filled with bad people and mind-numbing monotony. You'll look back on your posts in this thread and hate yourselves.

Meh. If I had to do it again, I'd do it again.

Agreed. I don't regret coming to law school, and I don't think most people will as long as they go to a good school and manage to find gainful employment. But 0Ls need to understand and factor in that law school in itself is not as attractive as people think. You'll sit in a lot of rooms being intellectually unstimulated while gaining no practical skills. That's why people ITT who have never even sat in a law school classroom before are talking out of their asses when they just dismiss Flash's correct assessment that law school sucks and is filled with terrible people. Applicants need to consider that when weighing law school as an option. I know plenty of law school applicants and law students who expect(ed) law school to be a place where intellectual titans gather to be profound and prestigious and spend lots of time in oak-paneled rooms gaining enlightenment with peers they respect and get along with well, coming out of school after three richly rewarding years with a deep understanding of the law that will benefit them greatly in practice. If people are making law school decisions with anything like this picture in their mind, their expectations are on a one-way lube train to pound town.

LOL one of my friends expressed this similarly... expected intellectual discussion, found, well, the reality of professional school.

I've said it before, but: law school is about gaining entrée into a profession and not much more. You better be DAMNED sure that's what you want, because that's about all you're going to get.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:00 am

IAFG wrote:
I've said it before, but: law school is about gaining entrée into a profession and not much more. You better be DAMNED sure that's what you want, because that's about all you're going to get.

Agreed, but the raw deal for students is that if you go in expecting a really impressive ivory-tower academic atmosphere you'll probably be disappointed, but if you go in expecting a practical professional education that prepares you for a career in the field you'll also be pretty disappointed since so much of law school is academic circle-jerk in which you're required to participate.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby IAFG » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:15 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
IAFG wrote:
I've said it before, but: law school is about gaining entrée into a profession and not much more. You better be DAMNED sure that's what you want, because that's about all you're going to get.

Agreed, but the raw deal for students is that if you go in expecting a really impressive ivory-tower academic atmosphere you'll probably be disappointed, but if you go in expecting a practical professional education that prepares you for a career in the field you'll also be pretty disappointed since so much of law school is academic circle-jerk in which you're required to participate.

I meant just what I said. You gain entrée. Not training.

User avatar
furcifer
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby furcifer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:01 am

Someone either just flunked out or got a wedgie while the girls laughed.
Either way, what would you recommend? They'd do the same to you in Medschool there winner.
BK is always hiring, go use your BA to make store manager and count me some pickles. :cry:

Flash wrote:is not to go to LS. It's not that LS is that hard. Yes the curve sucks and it's stressful. It's that law school sucks and is populated with horrible people. Look if you can't get into a top school it's a money and time sink which will most likely ruin your life. If you can get into a good school, then you're most likely smart enough to go do something useful with your life.

I'm not saying this because I'm bitter, I'm honestly looking out for what's in your best interest.

Whatever you do. DO.NOT.GO.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby skers » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:19 am

I think the hard reality is that pretty much every career is shitty. Pretty much every single one of my friends and family say they probably wouldn't have chosen their career if asked to do it again.

User avatar
furcifer
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby furcifer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:21 am

ok. easy to have regrets.
What would they have done instead?
They just blowing off steam of actually have an unaccomplished dream?

TemporarySaint wrote:I think the hard reality is that pretty much every career is shitty. Pretty much every single one of my friends and family say they probably wouldn't have chosen their career if asked to do it again.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby skers » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:32 am

furcifer wrote:ok. easy to have regrets.
What would they have done instead?
They just blowing off steam of actually have an unaccomplished dream?

TemporarySaint wrote:I think the hard reality is that pretty much every career is shitty. Pretty much every single one of my friends and family say they probably wouldn't have chosen their career if asked to do it again.


Every single one has a masters, doctorate, or other type of advanced degree working in law, medicine, business or academia. Most accomplished what they set out to do. Being a professional is just largely shitty.

User avatar
furcifer
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby furcifer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:35 am

So no matter what one does they will complain.
Might as well pick one of those high ranking gigs and just learn to deal.
Or do the same but with less money and less respect running an Arbies somewhere.
Either way.

If there is an alternative, please indulge us with it.

TemporarySaint wrote:
furcifer wrote:ok. easy to have regrets.
What would they have done instead?
They just blowing off steam of actually have an unaccomplished dream?

TemporarySaint wrote:I think the hard reality is that pretty much every career is shitty. Pretty much every single one of my friends and family say they probably wouldn't have chosen their career if asked to do it again.


Every single one has a masters, doctorate, or other type of advanced degree working in law, medicine, business or academia. Most accomplished what they set out to do. Being a professional is just largely shitty.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: The best choice for all applicants

Postby skers » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:37 am

No, I generally think people looking to get fulfilled by their careers are kidding themselves.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Wipfelder, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests