Best for international/NYC biglaw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
avd90

Best for international/NYC biglaw

Postby avd90 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:41 am

Hey there, so I'm interested in working in big law, but in an international division. if/while in the states I want to be located in NYC. Where are my best options? I know gtown has a comparatively lower status/placement than other schools in NYC, but would the status of their international program help lift me if I am looking for that type of law? NYU is my top choice at this point due to their international program and the fact that NYC is my favorite city... are there any other schools I should be considering? help a sista out

Re: Best for international/NYC biglaw

Postby 20130312 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:43 am

Take NYU and run from Georgetown.

AS33

Postby AS33 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:50 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Take NYU and run from Georgetown.

Just curious, what is so bad about Georgetown?

Postby 20130312 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:12 am

Little over 50% salaries reported (LinkRemoved)

vs

Over 80% known (LinkRemoved)

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:54 pm

avd90 wrote:Hey there, so I'm interested in working in big law, but in an international division. if/while in the states I want to be located in NYC. Where are my best options? I know gtown has a comparatively lower status/placement than other schools in NYC, but would the status of their international program help lift me if I am looking for that type of law? NYU is my top choice at this point due to their international program and the fact that NYC is my favorite city... are there any other schools I should be considering? help a sista out

You should also consider Cornell. It has a strong reputation with international law and has one of the highest percentage placement of its grads in NYC biglaw. This school sounds like a match for what you want.

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:02 pm

Chucky21 wrote:You should also consider Cornell. It has a strong reputation with international law

Does it? I don't hear much about this school and the one time I asked, I was just told that it only really does NYC biglaw. Could you elaborate a little more on this?

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:50 pm

SehMeSerrious wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:You should also consider Cornell. It has a strong reputation with international law

Does it? I don't hear much about this school and the one time I asked, I was just told that it only really does NYC biglaw. Could you elaborate a little more on this?

Sure, a lot of what I'm going to say is on the Cornell law website but they have a host of programs that allow you to specialize in international legal affairs. For example there is the Berger INTL legal studies program, programs in law development in the Middle East and Asia. They also have a bunch of exchange programs and groups that host speakers involved in international law.

Hope this helps a bit.

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:00 pm

NYU.

(or, perhaps Columbia.)

banjo

Postby banjo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:24 pm

Do any firms actually value exchange programs / dual degrees from overseas law schools? I see NYU has the Melbourne thing, Columbia has a couple, Cornell a couple -- does anyone think these help you get a job?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:32 pm

Chucky21 wrote:
avd90 wrote:Hey there, so I'm interested in working in big law, but in an international division. if/while in the states I want to be located in NYC. Where are my best options? I know gtown has a comparatively lower status/placement than other schools in NYC, but would the status of their international program help lift me if I am looking for that type of law? NYU is my top choice at this point due to their international program and the fact that NYC is my favorite city... are there any other schools I should be considering? help a sista out

You should also consider Cornell. It has a strong reputation with international law and has one of the highest percentage placement of its grads in NYC biglaw. This school sounds like a match for what you want.

Cornell isn't a bad choice but NYU / Columbia would probably give the best shot for NYC biglaw. $ might make up for that at basically any of the top 14 -- for example UMich has a lot of international programs for example and if significantly cheaper might be a better choice -- so I'd apply broadly.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”