St. Johns (with scholarship) vs CUNY

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NoIdea123

St. Johns (with scholarship) vs CUNY

Postby NoIdea123 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:38 pm

Got 35k from St. Johns which means the cost of attending would be about the same as CUNY. I'd have to stay top 40% to keep the St. John's scholarship.

I don't think I would be happy doing anything other than public interest. Does St. Johns offer the same kind of PI opportunities that CUNY does? If CUNY weren't ranked so low it would be a no brainer for me.

NoIdea123

Re: St. Johns (with scholarship) vs CUNY

Postby NoIdea123 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:35 am

bump

LFC YNWA

Postby LFC YNWA » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:42 am

*Gets popcorn and waits for the vultures*

What are your stats?

skipy

Postby skipy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:55 am

I'm looking at NY schools and am fully committed to PI as well. Were I in your shoes, I'd take CUNY, hands down. The people two I know who go/have gone there are committed to PI, have done really cool things after graduation, and have great things to say about the school.

LFC YNWA

Postby LFC YNWA » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:02 pm

skipy wrote:I'm looking at NY schools and am fully committed to PI as well. Were I in your shoes, I'd take CUNY, hands down. The people two I know who go/have gone there are committed to PI, have done really cool things after graduation, and have great things to say about the school.

TITCR. I've heard the same about CUNY as long as you're totally committed to PI law (I think it has the #1 program for PI... please do correct me if I'm wrong). If you feel like you cannot say that you completely want to do PI, you may want to reconsider attending CUNY.

I will say that the Top 40% stip for St. John's is pretty rough. If you go there and lose your scholly, you better be prepared to drop out because being outside of the top 40% @ $46k/year @ St. John's is a losing proposition to say the least. You should see if they can relax that stipulation a bit, but even if they do, that won't totally guarantee that you will keep the scholly.

NoIdea123

Postby NoIdea123 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:24 pm

I'm 161 and 3.2 with public interest work experience. I was accepted to St. Johns 5 days after they received my app and CUNY in 1.5 weeks so either I got on some cycle where they were just sending out acceptances and mine ended up on top or they want me and I can milk more money out of them.

The 40% scholly reduced to 75% if top 55 and down to 55% if top 65. So I don't totally lose it unless I fall below 65%.

skipy

Postby skipy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:36 pm

I would still say CUNY. PI is definitely competetive, but in a different way from big law. I think going to CUNY and doing well there will put you in a good position. Obviously that's just my opinion.

On a different note, how much do you know about the Income Based Repayment (IBR) and Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)? If you are CERTAIN you want to do PI work (and not government PI work if you're looking at PSLF), these two programs could make you think very differently about money and scholarships.

You can read up on them at the Equal Justice Works website:

http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/ed-debt/students

Return to “Choosing a Law School”