Vanderbilt vs. UVA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I attend?

Vanderbilt
21%
UVA
79%

Total votes: 58

ucbkenn

Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:29 pm

TLS,

I am trying to decide which school is overall "better." I know that everyone has their opinions, but I'd like to hear from both sides. They seem fairly equal to me, but maybe that's not really the case. I know that Virginia's rank is a bit higher, but I can't really decide how big of deal that is. All factors are important to me... tuition, cost of living, location, job prospects. I want to practice in the south, I don't have scholarship money at either (yet), and I haven't visited either (yet).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

joemoviebuff

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby joemoviebuff » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:30 pm

If they cost the same, I think you gotta go with UVA there, chief.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:31 pm

If the cost is about equal, UVA without a doubt. UVA's degree will be able to travel all over the South without a problem. The only area where Vandy might help would be Tennessee, but if you'd prefer other areas then UVA.

ucbkenn

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:39 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:If they cost the same, I think you gotta go with UVA there, chief.

What are you basing this on?

ucbkenn

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:41 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:If the cost is about equal, UVA without a doubt. UVA's degree will be able to travel all over the South without a problem. The only area where Vandy might help would be Tennessee, but if you'd prefer other areas then UVA.

You really think that Vandy would only help in Tennessee? I'm not saying you're wrong, but why do you think that? I've looked at some law firms in Dallas (that's where I live) and they do OCI at Vandy.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:43 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ucbkenn

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:44 pm

hoos89 wrote:UVa all the way. You SHOULD be able to get a significant scholly from Vandy if you were able to get into UVa. There is no reason to pay full COA at Vandy over going to UVa.

Well I don't think Vandy has started doing scholarships yet. But let's assume I do get a good scholarship. Then would Vandy be the better option?

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:46 pm

hoos89 wrote:UVa all the way. You SHOULD be able to get a significant scholly from Vandy if you were able to get into UVa. There is no reason to pay full COA at Vandy over going to UVa.

She's a splitter so she may not get significant money at either. Assuming equal cost, UVA is easily the safer choice.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:46 pm

ucbkenn wrote:

Well I don't think Vandy has started doing scholarships yet. But let's assume I do get a good scholarship. Then would Vandy be the better option?

Depends how much... also, how debt averse you are. We don't know anything about your financial situation. Do you have substantial savings or family assistance?

ucbkenn

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Nelson wrote:

She's a splitter so she may not get significant money at either. Assuming equal cost, UVA is easily the safer choice.

Right. Everyone is saying that. Is this based on rank or what? Sorry they just seem fairly equal in job prospects. Especially average salary. I looked at both and they're almost identical.

ucbkenn

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:48 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
ucbkenn wrote:

Depends how much... also, how debt averse you are. We don't know anything about your financial situation. Do you have substantial savings or family assistance?

Family assistance. I'm paying for a third of whatever the total cost is

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:49 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ucbkenn

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Nelson wrote:

Haha and how do you know I'm a she Nelson?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:53 pm

/

ucbkenn

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:55 pm

hoos89 wrote:
ucbkenn wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Haha and how do you know I'm a she Nelson?

Your gender is in your profile.

Oh. Haha I forgot about that. Whoops.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:56 pm

ucbkenn wrote:Oh. Haha I forgot about that. Whoops.

ucbkenn wrote:Sorry they just seem fairly equal in job prospects. Especially average salary. I looked at both and they're almost identical.

Face, meet palm.

ucbkenn

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:01 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:

ucbkenn wrote:Sorry they just seem fairly equal in job prospects. Especially average salary. I looked at both and they're almost identical.

Face, meet palm.

Okay well that's why I'm polling the TLS world. Are they really that different though?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:03 pm

ucbkenn wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Face, meet palm.

Okay well that's why I'm polling the TLS world. Are they really that different though?

Yes they are. End of story. The only way you should choose Vandy is if you get a large amount of scholarship. If that does not occur, you go to UVA. It has better faculty, better job prospects, and is the better school in basically all factors that matter.

ucbkenn

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
ucbkenn wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Face, meet palm.

Yes they are. End of story. The only way you should choose Vandy is if you get a large amount of scholarship. If that does not occur, you go to UVA. It has better faculty, better job prospects, and is the better school in basically all factors that matter.

Okay but does anyone think it would be easier to be near the top of my class at vandy v. virginia? I think it would be and I thought it might be better to be in the top 10% at vandy v. top 50% at virginia?

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:06 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:If they cost the same, I think you gotta go with UVA there, chief.

This.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:07 pm

/

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:07 pm

Virginia.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:11 pm

A current UVA or Vandy student would know far better than I would, so Grizz or whoever feel free to correct me.

My assumption is that UVA would give you more access to bigger, less ties-centric biglaw markets (read: NYC) than Vandy would. UVA historically sends a higher percentage of students to NLJ250 than Vandy (though the south might have more <250 attorney firms?). UVA also probably has a slight edge for clerkships. All of that means a greater chance of getting something through OCI. Hence, less risk at UVA.

That said, the difference is possibly less pronounced if your goal is to practice in a secondary market in the south where you have preexisting ties. Especially if the target market is Nashville.

Okay but does anyone think it would be easier to be near the top of my class at vandy v. virginia? I think it would be and I thought it might be better to be in the top 10% at vandy v. top 50% at virginia?

You make a lot of questionable assumptions for someone with 100+ posts.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:23 pm

It would take at least half tuition for me to take vanderbilt over virginia. Virginia has better job prospects and more national reach.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Among Southern firms UVa is the most well respected school outside of Harvard and Yale. This summer, while working at 1L SA at a large Birmingham firm, there were 8 other UVa students and only 1 Vandy student (who only got the job because he was top 5%). Southern firms actively recruit UVa students and if you ties to the area being well below median is not an automatic disqualifier.

There is no advantage in any area whatsoever by choosing Vanderbilt. Even in Nashville, if you can show you were truly interested in returning there, a top 1/2 UVa student would have the advantage over a top 1/4 Vanderbilt student.

These are the facts, go to UVa.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”