Vanderbilt vs. UVA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I attend?

Vanderbilt
12
21%
UVA
46
79%
 
Total votes: 58

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:29 pm

TLS,

I am trying to decide which school is overall "better." I know that everyone has their opinions, but I'd like to hear from both sides. They seem fairly equal to me, but maybe that's not really the case. I know that Virginia's rank is a bit higher, but I can't really decide how big of deal that is. All factors are important to me... tuition, cost of living, location, job prospects. I want to practice in the south, I don't have scholarship money at either (yet), and I haven't visited either (yet).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby joemoviebuff » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:30 pm

If they cost the same, I think you gotta go with UVA there, chief.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:31 pm

If the cost is about equal, UVA without a doubt. UVA's degree will be able to travel all over the South without a problem. The only area where Vandy might help would be Tennessee, but if you'd prefer other areas then UVA.

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:39 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:If they cost the same, I think you gotta go with UVA there, chief.


What are you basing this on?

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:41 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:If the cost is about equal, UVA without a doubt. UVA's degree will be able to travel all over the South without a problem. The only area where Vandy might help would be Tennessee, but if you'd prefer other areas then UVA.


You really think that Vandy would only help in Tennessee? I'm not saying you're wrong, but why do you think that? I've looked at some law firms in Dallas (that's where I live) and they do OCI at Vandy.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby hoos89 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:43 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:44 pm

hoos89 wrote:UVa all the way. You SHOULD be able to get a significant scholly from Vandy if you were able to get into UVa. There is no reason to pay full COA at Vandy over going to UVa.


Well I don't think Vandy has started doing scholarships yet. But let's assume I do get a good scholarship. Then would Vandy be the better option?

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:46 pm

hoos89 wrote:UVa all the way. You SHOULD be able to get a significant scholly from Vandy if you were able to get into UVa. There is no reason to pay full COA at Vandy over going to UVa.

She's a splitter so she may not get significant money at either. Assuming equal cost, UVA is easily the safer choice.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:46 pm

ucbkenn wrote:
hoos89 wrote:UVa all the way. You SHOULD be able to get a significant scholly from Vandy if you were able to get into UVa. There is no reason to pay full COA at Vandy over going to UVa.


Well I don't think Vandy has started doing scholarships yet. But let's assume I do get a good scholarship. Then would Vandy be the better option?

Depends how much... also, how debt averse you are. We don't know anything about your financial situation. Do you have substantial savings or family assistance?

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Nelson wrote:
hoos89 wrote:UVa all the way. You SHOULD be able to get a significant scholly from Vandy if you were able to get into UVa. There is no reason to pay full COA at Vandy over going to UVa.

She's a splitter so she may not get significant money at either. Assuming equal cost, UVA is easily the safer choice.


Right. Everyone is saying that. Is this based on rank or what? Sorry they just seem fairly equal in job prospects. Especially average salary. I looked at both and they're almost identical.

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:48 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
ucbkenn wrote:
hoos89 wrote:UVa all the way. You SHOULD be able to get a significant scholly from Vandy if you were able to get into UVa. There is no reason to pay full COA at Vandy over going to UVa.


Well I don't think Vandy has started doing scholarships yet. But let's assume I do get a good scholarship. Then would Vandy be the better option?

Depends how much... also, how debt averse you are. We don't know anything about your financial situation. Do you have substantial savings or family assistance?


Family assistance. I'm paying for a third of whatever the total cost is

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby hoos89 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:49 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Nelson wrote:
hoos89 wrote:UVa all the way. You SHOULD be able to get a significant scholly from Vandy if you were able to get into UVa. There is no reason to pay full COA at Vandy over going to UVa.

She's a splitter so she may not get significant money at either. Assuming equal cost, UVA is easily the safer choice.


Haha and how do you know I'm a she Nelson?

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby hoos89 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:53 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:55 pm

hoos89 wrote:
ucbkenn wrote:
Nelson wrote:
hoos89 wrote:UVa all the way. You SHOULD be able to get a significant scholly from Vandy if you were able to get into UVa. There is no reason to pay full COA at Vandy over going to UVa.

She's a splitter so she may not get significant money at either. Assuming equal cost, UVA is easily the safer choice.


Haha and how do you know I'm a she Nelson?


Your gender is in your profile.


Oh. Haha I forgot about that. Whoops.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby 20130312 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:56 pm

ucbkenn wrote:Oh. Haha I forgot about that. Whoops.


ucbkenn wrote:Sorry they just seem fairly equal in job prospects. Especially average salary. I looked at both and they're almost identical.


Face, meet palm.

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:01 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
ucbkenn wrote:Oh. Haha I forgot about that. Whoops.


ucbkenn wrote:Sorry they just seem fairly equal in job prospects. Especially average salary. I looked at both and they're almost identical.


Face, meet palm.


Okay well that's why I'm polling the TLS world. Are they really that different though?

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:03 pm

ucbkenn wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
ucbkenn wrote:Oh. Haha I forgot about that. Whoops.


ucbkenn wrote:Sorry they just seem fairly equal in job prospects. Especially average salary. I looked at both and they're almost identical.


Face, meet palm.


Okay well that's why I'm polling the TLS world. Are they really that different though?


Yes they are. End of story. The only way you should choose Vandy is if you get a large amount of scholarship. If that does not occur, you go to UVA. It has better faculty, better job prospects, and is the better school in basically all factors that matter.

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
ucbkenn wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
ucbkenn wrote:Oh. Haha I forgot about that. Whoops.


ucbkenn wrote:Sorry they just seem fairly equal in job prospects. Especially average salary. I looked at both and they're almost identical.


Face, meet palm.


Okay well that's why I'm polling the TLS world. Are they really that different though?


Yes they are. End of story. The only way you should choose Vandy is if you get a large amount of scholarship. If that does not occur, you go to UVA. It has better faculty, better job prospects, and is the better school in basically all factors that matter.


Okay but does anyone think it would be easier to be near the top of my class at vandy v. virginia? I think it would be and I thought it might be better to be in the top 10% at vandy v. top 50% at virginia?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby gaud » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:06 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:If they cost the same, I think you gotta go with UVA there, chief.


This.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby hoos89 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:07 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:07 pm

Virginia.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:11 pm

A current UVA or Vandy student would know far better than I would, so Grizz or whoever feel free to correct me.

My assumption is that UVA would give you more access to bigger, less ties-centric biglaw markets (read: NYC) than Vandy would. UVA historically sends a higher percentage of students to NLJ250 than Vandy (though the south might have more <250 attorney firms?). UVA also probably has a slight edge for clerkships. All of that means a greater chance of getting something through OCI. Hence, less risk at UVA.

That said, the difference is possibly less pronounced if your goal is to practice in a secondary market in the south where you have preexisting ties. Especially if the target market is Nashville.

Okay but does anyone think it would be easier to be near the top of my class at vandy v. virginia? I think it would be and I thought it might be better to be in the top 10% at vandy v. top 50% at virginia?

You make a lot of questionable assumptions for someone with 100+ posts.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:23 pm

It would take at least half tuition for me to take vanderbilt over virginia. Virginia has better job prospects and more national reach.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Vanderbilt vs. UVA

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Among Southern firms UVa is the most well respected school outside of Harvard and Yale. This summer, while working at 1L SA at a large Birmingham firm, there were 8 other UVa students and only 1 Vandy student (who only got the job because he was top 5%). Southern firms actively recruit UVa students and if you ties to the area being well below median is not an automatic disqualifier.

There is no advantage in any area whatsoever by choosing Vanderbilt. Even in Nashville, if you can show you were truly interested in returning there, a top 1/2 UVa student would have the advantage over a top 1/4 Vanderbilt student.

These are the facts, go to UVa.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests